ForumsGamesRoller Coaster Tycoon series

39 7499
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

While discussing rotation schemes in my Sims thread, another one of my favorite PC game series came up, the RCT series. I thought it strange that it did not have a discussion thread of its own, so here it is.

My personal favorite of the three is RCT2. It's easy enough to grasp right away and versatile enough to create endless possibilities; but not too versatile so that it's overwhelming.

Discuss the RCT series here. 10,000 posts.

• 39 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Ah yes...Roller Coaster Tycoon.

There was an entrance to the park I built. There was no exit. There was one path, and one roller coaster. On each side of that path was a large drop. Whenever the roller coaster ran it went down that path...and it was soooo funny.

I'm not very nice to sims...

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I liked RCT3 the best because the scenarios were actually rewarding and added to the game if you completed them. Except the track designs you unlocked after completing each scenario weren't ever worth using!

When creating custom scenarios, is there a way to lock tracks so that they can be unlocked when the scenario is completed?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I had the original RCT. The graphics were so bad the quality of the game was fantastic. It looked a lot like Minecraft.

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

I loved RCT2, never played the rest though. Feeling a little deprived now. It's fun when making tracks so extreme that when you watch them in 1st person you actually feel strange, even sick. I want to play it again.

To bad it's stuck in my broken desktop.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Congratulations on the 10,000 posts.

Thank you.

Someone tell me to get one of these games.

I'm not going to tell you to get one of these games. I'm going to tell you to get all of these games.

I'm not very nice to sims...

I'll say. You're confusing the hell out of them already by putting them in Roller Coaster Tycoon.

I can't even begin to think of what you'd do to them if they were in their own game.

Except the track designs you unlocked after completing each scenario weren't ever worth using!

Mangler was an especially disappointing design. That track took no skill to build whatsoever.

The Soaked expansion pack came with terrible coaster options to begin with. The Half Pipe, the Giant Flume, the Roller-Soaker....I don't think there was one good coaster that came out of that expansion pack.

RCT3 Wild had much better coaster types. The Extended Coaster was by far the best coaster option available. Unfortunately I got Wild before I got Soaked, so my standards were already fairly high and getting the Soaked coasters was a huge letdown.

When creating custom scenarios, is there a way to lock tracks so that they can be unlocked when the scenario is completed?

At least now I know I'm not the only person who has tried and failed to lock track designs. I'd much rather unlock my own designs than the crappy ones RCT3 designed.

Things were easier in RCT2 when every track design was unlocked.

I had the original RCT. The graphics were so bad the quality of the game was fantastic.

RCT2 has the same basic graphics, and the quality is greatly enhanced. If you love RCT1, you'll adore RCT2.

It's fun when making tracks so extreme that when you watch them in 1st person you actually feel strange, even sick.

Sounds like you've played RCT3 as well. You can't "ride" the rides in the previous two.
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

Sounds like you've played RCT3 as well. You can't "ride" the rides in the previous two.

So that's the one I had. Haven't played in a while so I wasn't sure.

Except the track designs you unlocked after completing each scenario weren't ever worth using!

They did suck.

The only thing that bothered me about the series was the water coasters. I had way too much trouble setting them up and I had next to nobody go to them because of the quality that I made them in.
rasta520
rasta520
3 posts
Nomad

Roller-coaster tycoon 3 is best but the wild expansion is slightly disappointing. Soaked is great though.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Mangler was an especially disappointing design.

Lol... extreme intensity rating with MEDIUM excitement? Someone who had never played the game before could crank out those ratings!

The Soaked expansion pack came with terrible coaster options to begin with. The Half Pipe, the Giant Flume, the Roller-Soaker....I don't think there was one good coaster that came out of that expansion pack.

What about Hershey's Stormrunner? It wasn't that different from the Strata Coaster I'll admit but it was at least worth building! I guess that's more than you can say about the other coaster options in that expansion pack, but I think the waterslides made up for all the bad coasters!

The Extended Coaster was by far the best coaster option available.

Amen! I would sometimes spend HOURS just designing one Extended Coaster! There really were no limits there!

Things were easier in RCT2 when every track design was unlocked.

But things are more fun in RCT3 when you have a reason to complete scenarios! A lousy track design is better than nothing! =P
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

The only thing that bothered me about the series was the water coasters.

Just the regular Water Coasters? I never had any trouble with those throughout the entire series. How did you design them?

but the wild expansion is slightly disappointing.

The animals were quite unnecessary, but the coaster options were much better than the ones Soaked provided.

Lol... extreme intensity rating with MEDIUM excitement? Someone who had never played the game before could crank out those ratings!

A track with a lift hill and one large drop can give you medium excitement rating.

I didn't even bother to save designs with excitement ratings that low.

What about Hershey's Stormrunner? It wasn't that different from the Strata Coaster I'll admit but it was at least worth building!

I was always a bit biased towards powered launch coasters in RCT3 because I couldn't gauge how fast they were going just by watching or listening, so I could never tell if I was launching it too fast.

Not to mention how hard it was to determine whether or not it was generating much airtime.

but I think the waterslides made up for all the bad coasters!

The Aqua Blaster Slide, The H2Oslide Bowl and the Body Slide were all worth building, but the Ring/Raft Slide, the Inflatable Ship and the Lazy River could have been left out for all I care. Talk about useless.

But things are more fun in RCT3 when you have a reason to complete scenarios!

Completing a scenario for the sake of completing it isn't worth it to you? That's the only reason I ever do it, in RCT2 and RCT3. It's not like I want the amateur-quality unlockable track designs.
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I was always a bit biased towards powered launch coasters in RCT3 because I couldn't gauge how fast they were going just by watching or listening, so I could never tell if I was launching it too fast.

Trial and error man! Use the lowest launch speed that will get the train over the hill!

The Aqua Blaster Slide

That's the best one BY FAR because you can make them go on for as long as you want! The others are limited to what gravity has in store for them, but this one you can keep launching as many times as you desire!

I've built some pretty big Aqua Blaster Slides!

the Inflatable Ship

I build those sometimes... they don't take up very much space, and they attract more people to the pool... other than those ugly smokestacks, I don't see anything wrong with them!

Completing a scenario for the sake of completing it isn't worth it to you?

No. =D

I like the game to progress when I complete something, not stay virtually the same as it was before I completed that thing!
DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

The first two were similar enough for the second one to be easy to learn from playing the first one enough. The third one, however, was like a completely different game. The only similarity was the basic idea of creating a park and building roller coasters. The way it was set up made it seem like the same basic game but in a different series.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I agree, it was a pretty big jump between 2 and 3 relative to that between 1 and 2, but the way I see it that leap was needed! If they had made the same jump they did between the first two for the second two and just enhanced RCT2 a bit more, they might as well have just made it an expansion pack for RCT2 rather than RCT3!

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Trial and error man! Use the lowest launch speed that will get the train over the hill!

It's too time-consuming. In RCT2 I had the patience, but RCT3 complicates things.

RCT3 also has some pretty crazy glitches, one of them being the lack of height restrictions on Splash Boats. You could build it as high as you felt necessary and then drop them down thousands of feet.

When building underground was made possible in the expansion packs, you could no longer build Splash Boats higher than 200 feet, but you could make the drops as big as you wanted provided they were underground.

I also remember that useless Robotic Coaster could go underground about 400 or so feet, but as I recall that was one of the most disappointing coaster options available.
cjhall
cjhall
213 posts
Herald

I had RCT Deluxe, but I don't know if that went a long with a number or not. I thouhgt it was cool that once you beat scenarios on one map, you unlocked another.

I never designed my own coasters, though. I played it on a REALLY old laptop, so it was hard to control it. The laptop also froze after maybe 45 minutes, so it was hard to invest time in something that you might lose before you finish.

TDOG422
TDOG422
528 posts
Shepherd

RTC3...ah. Brings back good old memories...ya.

Showing 1-15 of 39