ForumsThe TavernBicycle Helmets

38 5467
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Regarding the use of helmets, do you wear one? I've never really gotten into a head-threatening experience on my bike, but I still wear one. I mean, what's so bad about wearing it? Maybe it's just because I'm in my teenage years, but the amount of people I've seen riding their bike without a helmet is astounding. They were almost all teens as well too, so is it some kind of fashion statement or something? Pretty much all of my friends don't wear a helmet, so I've given myself the award of "not succumbing to peer pressure" but still... I just can't understand why so many people just don't like to wear a helmet.

Also, I was riding with my friends once, and we came up to this kinda old guy, and he told me (pointing to my helmet) "That has saved lives!"

Your thoughts.

• 38 Replies
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Always good to wear a helmet. Also, that old man is right. They do save lives.
There are no contradictory points to helmets that have a secure argument that a amateur arguer couldn't pick to pieces.
I direct my attention to Happy Wheels (yes, the awesome gory game) and I have found, playing as irresponsible dad, that when I lose my helm I die shortly after.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I haven't rode a bike in a while, but when I did I didn't normally wear a helmet. I didn't think it was necessary seeing as how there's barely any traffic, I can't go a great speed, and the terrain is fine. If there was a lot of traffic or if I'm riding a bike in the woods then I'd wear one.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

I haven't died yet, if that means anything. I don't bother with helmets on bicycles. The speed isn't fast enough to kill me unless I hit a sharp edge, and I don't ride a bike enough to bother buying a helmet anyways. If I was like one of those guys who cycles miles a day for exercise, then I would, but for now, nah.

Motorcycles, on the other hand...

Fs97
Fs97
93 posts
Nomad

I wear a helmet, not that I really need to though. I barely ride my bike fast enough for anything life-threatening, and I only ride my bike about once a month.

XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

I have a beach cruiser. The only thing I use it for is to get around my neighborhood which is covered in bike paths and sidewalks. There are no hills, no places where I would need to cross the street where there is a notable amount of traffic, and no places where being alert isn't enough to save me from crashing. I don't have a single friend to wears a helmet, and I don't wear one either. Maybe if I traveling out of my neighborhood I would wear one.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

Never did and never will. If u do it over here you are considered a retard and stupid. But I don't like to wear any assecoires or headgear so unless it is necessary I wont do it.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Yes. It's stupid not to hit the pavement and have your skull cracked open like an egg, spilling your brains over the hard, unrelenting stone. It would rid us of bad genes if the unnamed, rather dead object of accusation in this gory little tale, died.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Yes. It's stupid not to hit the pavement and have your skull cracked open like an egg, spilling your brains over the hard, unrelenting stone. It would rid us of bad genes if the unnamed, rather dead object of accusation in this gory little tale, died.

When people fall off of their bikes they'll probably try to use their hands to prevent that from happening. People aren't going to just fall off and let their heads slam into the ground. It's also unlikely unless you're going full speed on unstable terrain and high traffic.

You might as well wear a helmet, elbow pads, and knee pads everywhere you go if you think that. Because you know, you could always randomly trip and crack open your skull, or even hurt your elbows or knees. Unnecessary to be that protective.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I have always worn a helmet when I ride my bike. Traffic or no traffic, smooth terrain or rough terrain, I have no desire to crash and crack my head open. I would rather look stupid wearing a helmet then spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, having seizures, or some other physical defect.

One time, I crashed on my bike, slid on my head for a few feet, then hit my head on a brick wall. If I hadn't been wearing a helmet, I would have had to go to the ER.

Where I live, the city council passed a law that everyone under 18 has to wear a helmet when riding a bike. The rate of deaths of kids hit by cars has decreased considerably since that law was initiated.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

i never bother with it, i don't go that fast and i am usually in a bike lane or on a sidewalk. i have gotten hurt worse from tripping than from falling off a bike, so should i wear a walking helmet?

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I have hardly ever worn a helmet. As a kid I got a lot of crap for not wearing one but Im a little to stubborn so I never listen to my mom when she would say put on a helmet. I never got hurt actually. The reason I never wore one was because I just hated helmets. As simple as that. They were uncomfortable, odd shaped, and just a annoying to were. And I never saw a reason to were them, I wouldn't fall head first. I'd fall on my side or my back or something. To this day I don't were one and I am fine. Im just waiting to see what happens if I don't were one. >.>

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I never saw a reason to were them, I wouldn't fall head first.

Have you ever flipped over the handlebars? Your head always gets hit first.

Im just waiting to see what happens if I don't were one.

Good luck. (You'll need it)
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Have you ever flipped over the handlebars?
really easy to avoid, just don't run into curbs and don't slam you front brakes.
Sauron23
Sauron23
275 posts
Peasant

I always wear a helmet, because it's just good sense, and there's no reason not to.

lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

Isn't it illegal to not wear bicycle helmet? I can see why you should because one time my uncle wasn't wearing one and he got ran over by a bus. So he went to the hospital for major head injury. He's still alive and he can sing really well.

Showing 1-15 of 38