ForumsThe TavernBicycle Helmets

38 5469
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Regarding the use of helmets, do you wear one? I've never really gotten into a head-threatening experience on my bike, but I still wear one. I mean, what's so bad about wearing it? Maybe it's just because I'm in my teenage years, but the amount of people I've seen riding their bike without a helmet is astounding. They were almost all teens as well too, so is it some kind of fashion statement or something? Pretty much all of my friends don't wear a helmet, so I've given myself the award of "not succumbing to peer pressure" but still... I just can't understand why so many people just don't like to wear a helmet.

Also, I was riding with my friends once, and we came up to this kinda old guy, and he told me (pointing to my helmet) "That has saved lives!"

Your thoughts.

• 38 Replies
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I always wear a helmet because I used to live in a big city, I also worked as a bike messenger and I still ride like a maniac,I mean fast, not like a deranged person. xD

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

Yes. It's stupid not to hit the pavement and have your skull cracked open like an egg, spilling your brains over the hard, unrelenting stone. It would rid us of bad genes if the unnamed, rather dead object of accusation in this gory little tale, died.

Than the only thing I shouldn't wear an helmet to is swimming because if I walk I could hit the pavement and my skull cracks open like a egg, spilling my brains over the hard unrelenting stone.
XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

He's still alive and he can sing really well.

Wow, still alive and can sing well. Impressive.

Than the only thing I shouldn't wear an helmet to is swimming

I don't know, you might want one there too in the case of an accidental dive into the shallow end.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Than the only thing I shouldn't wear an helmet to is swimming because if I walk I could hit the pavement and my skull cracks open like a egg, spilling my brains over the hard unrelenting stone.

Don't forget that it would rid us of your bad genes.
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

You might as well wear a helmet, elbow pads, and knee pads everywhere you go if you think that. Because you know, you could always randomly trip and crack open your skull, or even hurt your elbows or knees. Unnecessary to be that protective.

There's a difference in getting a skinned knee and a fractured skull.

I'm not too sure about a law about it where I live, but if there is it isn't enforced very much.

I just think that wearing a helmet is a very small price to pay that can bring big benefits if you do fall on your head.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

There's a difference in getting a skinned knee and a fractured skull.

Yes, but my point is that fracturing your skull on the everyday bike ride is unlikely and I consider it to be overprotective, and by being overprotective you might as well cover up the other areas. That was also an over exaggeration by Masterforger. I'm willing to bet that the number of bicycle deaths and severe injuries like that a year are incredibly insignificant. I used to ride my bike a lot when I was younger, and the worst injury I got was a hair line fracture on a rib. It would've been worse if I didn't use my hands and body to protect other important parts. Most people aren't just going to let themselves fall off a bike and fracture their skull, unless they have very poor reaction time.
I don't have anything against wearing helmets, I'll wear them if necessary (rough terrain or biking hear heavy traffic), but I'm not going to wear something when it's not necessary. Like I won't wear glasses when sleeping, a coat while it's hot, or... you get the point.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

in 2010, 618 people died on bikes, and 52,000 were injured. This is in the USA. However, since 1995, bike injuries and deaths have gone down by 16%. That 16% is due to more emphasis on wearing helmets. Ta very much, ghost.
Yaa, 618 people isn't a lot, IS IT?
Oh, the total cost of bike injuries per year is over 4 billion dollars.
Evidence;
[url]http://www.bicyclinginfo.org/facts/crash-facts.cfm[/url]

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Yaa, 618 people isn't a lot, IS IT?

Maybe in a single small town, otherwise no, 618 deaths throughout the whole country isn't a lot. And injuries don't matter unless they specify. I also read that most of those deaths were due to cars, so of course you should wear protective gear if you bike in heavy traffic.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

OK, we'll go for that. You should wear a helmet in the city.

Mycal101
Mycal101
307 posts
Nomad

I definenly think you should always wear a helmet theres always a chance you are gonna get hurt & its better to be safe than sorry

Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

The only times I ever wore a bike helmet was when I was forced to. In fact a number of bike accidents I've been in would have been worse had I worn a helmet.

PurpleSquishy
PurpleSquishy
150 posts
Shepherd

I have been in three serious bike crashes, just never landed on my head. Of course none involved getting hit by a car. It really could help so why not.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I have been in three serious bike crashes, just never landed on my head. Of course none involved getting hit by a car. It really could help so why not.

I used to live in Montreal where the chance to get hit by a car is much higher and I got hit 3 times. The first time I rolled over a car roof after the moron came out of the parking lot without looking, I was delivering a package ( I was bike messenger). The second time another moron decided to turn to the right from the left lane and started squeezing me against a parked car, I had to bang on the side 3 times before the driver realized it and stopped.
The third time I was going full speed down a boulevard when the biggest moron of all went from the third lane to the left and cut me (I was on the first lane on the right), fortunately I saw him coming from the corner of my eye but even though I did a power slide, the car was too close so it hit me and I started sliding on the car, hit the antenna, which stopped me from going over and I was still holding on to my handle bar so I fell back on my seat.
I only had a sore ankle but the car had a dent about half it's length. I was wearing my helmet every time.
gman144
gman144
156 posts
Blacksmith

i don't but i probably should

NotoriousJuicy
NotoriousJuicy
15 posts
Nomad

I would wear one if I biked. It is safe and looks cooler surviving an accident than your brains spilled on the street.

Showing 16-30 of 38