ForumsThe TavernBicycle Helmets

38 5466
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Regarding the use of helmets, do you wear one? I've never really gotten into a head-threatening experience on my bike, but I still wear one. I mean, what's so bad about wearing it? Maybe it's just because I'm in my teenage years, but the amount of people I've seen riding their bike without a helmet is astounding. They were almost all teens as well too, so is it some kind of fashion statement or something? Pretty much all of my friends don't wear a helmet, so I've given myself the award of "not succumbing to peer pressure" but still... I just can't understand why so many people just don't like to wear a helmet.

Also, I was riding with my friends once, and we came up to this kinda old guy, and he told me (pointing to my helmet) "That has saved lives!"

Your thoughts.

• 38 Replies
kevin8ye
kevin8ye
572 posts
Nomad

i never wear my helmet in the neighborhood, but everywhere else.....

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Hardly, I don't really bike much. And even if I do, my helmet is much too small now anyway.

notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

I do wear bike helmets. Some people don't like wearing them because they think that they look stupid or dumb.

One when I was about 8 or 7, I was riding my bike on a dirt road and I slid off into the bushes. I was covered in thorns and dirt, and I had 2 huge scrapes on my knee and elbow. My bike helmet was ~completely~ trashed, the dent on the side went all the way to the center of the helmet. It could have been a lot worse.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

ya, why bother on a bike if your a good rider?

on motorcycles, you better wear a helmet or you will get pulled over fast.

redslaughterer
redslaughterer
256 posts
Nomad

I kind of agree with spikeabc as its true that if your a good rider you don't need a helmet most of the time. I don't wear one unless I'm biking on the road or in traffic or on rough terrain. The most injuries I've gotten are a few scrapes, nothing serious.
Sauron23
Sauron23
275 posts
Peasant

It's always a good idea to wear a helmet, because you never know when you might get thrown from the bike, and land on your head. Some people think that it looks cool to not wear a helmet, but it makes me think lower of them because of that.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

If you're a good driver should you wear a seat belt?
BlueChel5
BlueChel5
20 posts
Nomad

Some people don't wear helmets to be rebels because every one is trying to have you wear one. But that's not always the case. Some people don't wear them just because their skill level of riding a bike, skating, etc. is very high. Therefore, they do not need to have one on. There is no problem of you wearing a helmet, since this world is very unpredictable. Anything can happen at every giving moment, no matter if you want it to happen or not. So I give kudos to you wearing one.

Showing 31-38 of 38