ForumsThe TavernThe Internet: The Death of Grammar

57 8435
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Toll the Requiem Bell, folks.
Who here thinks that the Internet has caused a lack of grammar and spelling, and who thinks it may have extended over to the bright, happy world we live in? I direct my attention to several examples;

"To" instead of "Too"
"Wut" instead of "What"
Lack of capitals at the start of sentences, or where appropriate.

Thy views, brethren? (And sisterhood)

• 57 Replies
ThatGuyOnBroadway
ThatGuyOnBroadway
28 posts
Nomad

Let's not forget abbreviations GALORE:
lol
rofl
lmao
gtg
g2g
brb
And so on...

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

Seems that we have a grammar nazi thread... Finally, someplace where I can express my views on grammar and the people who overlook it.

Well, my views are: If you could go back in time and kill the person who invented bad grammar and abbreviations, would you?

(I only use bad grammar and such when I am in a rush.)

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I wouldn't kill him, too easy.
I'd set him up as a target for new archers. They probably won't hit him in the chest, throat, or head. More likely; His groin, legs, stomach, and feet and arms. Ouch.

XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

My views are changing about this... Well they are being forced to -_- haha. For the longest time I felt no need to capitalize I, the first word of a sentence, or any proper noun. Now I'm getting older and people are getting really uptight about it so I just started using proper grammar more than I used to.

As far as abbreviations go, I have never really been a big fan. I always prefer "haha" over "lol" even though they are basically the same thing. The only word i abbreviate on a regular basis is though, I put "tho" sometimes. I should probably stop that.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

"Wut" instead of "What"

I find this used in silly context more often than not.

"Yo, I'm jumping up and down in a catsuit made of baby seal's tears."
"wut"

You know, things like that.

people are getting really uptight about it so I just started using proper grammar more than I used to.

It's about god **** time.

No offense. All love to you XVERB.

This is not the death of grammar. How moronic teenagers communicate has no bearing on the English language. Eventually they have to get a job, and proper grammar will show its true face then.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

This is not the death of grammar. How moronic teenagers communicate has no bearing on the English language. Eventually they have to get a job, and proper grammar will show its true face then.

I must concede with thy point, brother. Tis but a temporary condition. Twould also appear to be more apparent in boys, most likely because they use the computer for gaming, where quick chatting is needed.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Internet is simply offering a platform for people with bad grammar to use it and get used to it. But don't worry, there's a natural barrier to the world-wide domination of bad grammar: jobs and job applications. Noone will take you if you write 'wut' instead of 'what' in a job application. At least in most jobs and unless they direly need anyone...

On the abbreviation thing, those are usually only used in MMOs. They're increasingly used also in forums and the like, but a guy/gal with a reasonable sense of grammar can and will make a difference between the internet and real life.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Who here thinks that the Internet has caused a lack of grammar and spelling, and who thinks it may have extended over to the bright, happy world we live in? I direct my attention to several examples;

I think the opposite. The mass use of typing as a form of communication has most likely led to an average improvement in spelling/vocabulary among the population. With things like spellcheck and grammar nazis about, people learn.

"To" instead of "Too"
"Wut" instead of "What"

People have always failed with those, especially young people, the 13-14 year olds. I've seen people older than 50-60 who can't speak correctly, mispronounce and misspell nearly everything.

Let's not forget abbreviations GALORE:
lol
rofl
lmao
gtg
g2g
brb

I see nothing wrong with using them.

You'd think that, but, again, there are still many people who cannot/do not use proper grammar.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Noone

YOU FOOL!
I'm sorry, I've made horrible spelling and grammar errors on AG. I hope we get to edit posts on AG3.
Fs97
Fs97
93 posts
Nomad

I only care about stupid abbreviations, and the overuse of them. Bad grammar never really bugged me, and I don't see what's so wrong with it. This is the internet, not English class.

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

I agree with this topic, but grammar is only dead on the Internet. Mind you, it does annoy me when people don't use proper grammar/spelling, outside of this, it's safe from the world of "your".

Abbreviations don't bug me, unless that is all the other person uses.

XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

The thing that REALLY saddens me is 1337 speak, and how much it is used on facebook. P30p1e q0 a 1ittl3 Cr4zy.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Really the main reason grammar has gotten so lousy over the years is basically that when chatting in a game you really don't have much time to think about grammar and therefore don't really look over your work or even think about what "your" writing. But yeah I've seen plenty of people in real life mess up their grammar on the easiest things. Personally I'll just try and ignore it unless it's someone I know I can correct without them going ape on me. It's especially fun to correct people on when they should be using "whom" as well.

I rarely see 1337 speak, so I don't have much to say on the topic.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

[quote]Noone

YOU FOOL![/quote]

You're being a grammar Nazi, and you have just proven so. According to spellcheck, "no one" is correct, but a grammar Nazi is someone who points out/corrects spelling and grammar errors, and that's what you did.

As for my views on the topic, I always try to write in correct grammar, but I never correct others' bad grammar. As long as it is readable, it is acceptable. I also don't mind the use of abbreviations as long as what is written can be understood.
ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,434 posts
Nomad

Th15 thr3ad 15 5ma2t. Ermahgerd. Shooo cule.

"To" instead of "Too"
"Wut" instead of "What"

http://scranton.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw3852-1331579574490672.gif

-Chillz
Showing 1-15 of 57