ForumsThe TavernThe Internet: The Death of Grammar

57 8437
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Toll the Requiem Bell, folks.
Who here thinks that the Internet has caused a lack of grammar and spelling, and who thinks it may have extended over to the bright, happy world we live in? I direct my attention to several examples;

"To" instead of "Too"
"Wut" instead of "What"
Lack of capitals at the start of sentences, or where appropriate.

Thy views, brethren? (And sisterhood)

• 57 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Th15 thr3ad 15 5ma2t. Ermahgerd. Shooo cule.

I do not understand what you're trying to say.
godandd
godandd
1,285 posts
Nomad

While I do agree that Grammar doesn't have to be 100% accurate, If I cant understand what your saying then you spelled to horribly.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I do not understand what you're trying to say.
He said this thread is smart, omg, so cool. At least that is how i interpreted it. Not sure about the middle part.

I usually am pretty careful about my grammar, although I have a tendency not to capitalize my i's. I will occasionally use stuff like brb when i am in a hurry, but the rest of the time i just spell it out.
Spyton
Spyton
63 posts
Nomad

The internet. Stopping NEWSPEAK since its creation. Now to get it to stop harvesting personal information

And grammer isnt dead on the internet. It allows for rapid transit/viewing of books, manuscripts, and articles. All these things are usually heavily proof-read and are all quite popularly used.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

You're being a grammar Nazi, and you have just proven so. According to spellcheck, "no one" is correct, but a grammar Nazi is someone who points out/corrects spelling and grammar errors, and that's what you did.

Here is the part where I point out the second paragraph.
Perhaps, before jumping to the attack, you might read the full post?
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I've grown accustomed to its presence on the internet. As long as the words are coherent enough to be understood, it's fine to me. I doubt the internet is the cause for an inability to spell or adhere to proper grammar conventions though. It just exposes us to more of these kinds of people.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I don't care how people write as long as I can understand them.

Eventually they have to get a job, and proper grammar will show its true face then.

This. Well, not a job for me, but a few years ago I had a computer class and we had to write properly for an entire year, and it stuck with me. Before that I already used proper grammar on paper, but I never applied that to the internet.
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

to me, being a gramer notzi is the most annoying thing in the world. on facebook or twitter its OK, since it is a social site. but on a gaming website, (such as this), its not right. people like and use all types of abbreviation when trying to play a video game because they dont have time to go into a dictionary and check there every word. these are the abbreviations i use:
lol
brb
cya
wft
i enjoy useing these for the purpose of saving time since dont have it.

StDrake
StDrake
194 posts
Lord

*grammar
*nazi
*it's
*those are social sites
*their
*using
*I don't

Now I don't mind using abbrevs at all - it does give some time. I dun mind talkn gibberish for teh lulz either.
That is one story - overusing that is another. People just don't care and don't think about what they're writing on the internet, sometimes to the point where it stops being understandable at all. It's like walking on the street, constantly swearing, spitting, drinking bad booze in the public and stinking like it.
That - I do mind.
So soz I ain't putin (p->P?) down mah grammazihammer

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

You can't blame this on the internet. I know a large number of adults who couldn't explain the difference of "to" and "too" or "their" and "there".

You can't blame the internet for this, maybe people just didn't pay attention in grammar school. And for things such as that, who really cares? It's not like it matters. You can still tell what the person was trying to say, because you read it the same way regardless, and a few letter difference is not going to make anything magically make more sense.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

[quote]You're being a grammar Nazi, and you have just proven so. According to spellcheck, "no one" is correct, but a grammar Nazi is someone who points out/corrects spelling and grammar errors, and that's what you did.

Here is the part where I point out the second paragraph.
Perhaps, before jumping to the attack, you might read the full post?[/quote]

How does

"To" instead of "Too"
"Wut" instead of "What"
Lack of capitals at the start of sentences, or where appropriate.

disprove my accusation?

Also, I have noticed the following tendency from you:

You will commit an offense or near offense, then I will accuse you of it, then you will deny it.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

i don't care about capitalization, or punctuation much (with the exception of commas) but i do try to use correct spelling and the correct words (ex. there, their, to, too etc.) but it's not always the case that it ruins people's grammar completely like wut and whatnot, that's mostly ragers or annoying people who have an awful idea that they think is the best idea ever thought of

~manly man

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

How does

Ta. Da.
I'm sorry, I've made horrible spelling and grammar errors on AG. I hope we get to edit posts on AG3.

Also, if you question my ethics/ways of work/ideals I live by/morals message me at my profile. Ta very much.

@Skater
I suppose we can't blame the Internet. We shall blame...the student?
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

[quote]How does

Ta. Da.[/quote]

What's "Ta. Da." supposed to mean as a response? You can respond either on the thread or as a comment depending on whether you think it is worthy of discussion on the thread or not.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

lol brb cya wft

None of those are really abbreviations, but more like acronyms.

Ever since I could learn to write, I have always been kind of fanatical about using the proper grammar, and the correct words for the correct situations. I always find it kind of irritating when people fail to use proper grammar.

I don't know if it's right to blame the misuse of grammar entirely on the internet. A lot of people don't take their schooling seriously, and consider learning proper English a waste of time. The internet doesn't help the problem, due to it's lack of regard for proper English, but I don't believe it is the main cause of bad grammar.
Showing 16-30 of 57