ForumsThe TavernThe Internet: The Death of Grammar

57 8434
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Toll the Requiem Bell, folks.
Who here thinks that the Internet has caused a lack of grammar and spelling, and who thinks it may have extended over to the bright, happy world we live in? I direct my attention to several examples;

"To" instead of "Too"
"Wut" instead of "What"
Lack of capitals at the start of sentences, or where appropriate.

Thy views, brethren? (And sisterhood)

• 57 Replies
mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

1 th1nk th4t le 1nt3rn3t 1s 4 p1ac3 f0r ppl lik m3 t0 st0p uzing pr0p3r gr4mm3r. 1n sch00l, 1 h4v3 411 y33r t0 r1t3 3ss4ayz f0r 3ng1i5h s0 dur1ing summ3r 1 1ik3 t0 n0t us3 pr0pp3r gr4mm3r.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

1 th1nk th4t le 1nt3rn3t 1s 4 p1ac3 f0r ppl lik m3 t0 st0p uzing pr0p3r gr4mm3r. 1n sch00l, 1 h4v3 411 y33r t0 r1t3 3ss4ayz f0r 3ng1i5h s0 dur1ing summ3r 1 1ik3 t0 n0t us3 pr0pp3r gr4mm3r.

i think that the internet is a place for people like me to stop using proper grammar. in school, i have all year to write essays for English, so during summer i like to not use proper grammar.

that is okay, but when you write everything in 1337, it can be hard to understand for some people.

p.s. you misspelled grammar and year.
Nabbit
Nabbit
15 posts
Nomad

As long as another person can understand what's being said grammar doesn't matter much on the internet. I use chatspeak and abriviations in chatrooms because conversations usually go faster. I'm not going to start worrying about the Internet causing the death of the English language until lol becomes part of the dictionary.

Besides, what's more annoying than incorrect grammar is people being pricks over incorrect grammar. :S

ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

Its simple

People dont feel obligated to have correct spelling and grammar on the internet so therefore are to lazy to make sure it punctual.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I don't have a problem with people using improper grammar on the internet, but purposely bad grammar... liek tYpin liek diss is just retarded. I think people should have some form of sophistication in their speech.

ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

The only things that annoy me or "wat"..the misuse of your and you're.. also, the misuse of they're, there, and their.. and purposely capitalizing every other letter. Some people just don't make any sense.

ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

are* not or lol, my apologies.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Grammar, good sir, grammar

Hehe...Sorry, I was inactive for AG for a couple of days, meant to post this sooner, but bravo, bravo indeed, good sir! You guys do know I did that on purpose right?
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

what the hell...

I'm flagging that mycal.

GAMERNATIONHD
GAMERNATIONHD
14 posts
Nomad

as long as you keep the internet out of your writing like a letter idont see the harm

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Ahem..*grabs collara* why is this thread back on the front page?
I almost forgot about this place...
Oh, well, too late. Last post was...eeesh, almost a month ago.

Showing 46-56 of 57