ForumsGamesWhat's Wrong With Nintendo?

66 11640
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

It seems like everyone hates the Wii and all other Nintendo products.

I want to know why, in all its generality.

Persuade me.

• 66 Replies
deadman_
deadman_
5 posts
Nomad

ok so in 2007 a wii was being sold every 17 second in amazon and that was a year after it released and with out nintendo we would be playing horrible games console ga,es only became famous because of nintendo

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Someone obviously never had a NIntendo 64 (well, neither have I, but I am educated in its history)

Clearly not, since you don't even realise that the N64 had LESS support than the console you call a "slight bump in a rich history".

My N64 is still working perfectly by the way, Mr. universe traveller.

What I'm not okay with is literally none of their games are rated M!

But that's not at all different from how Nintendo has ever been.I mean, it's not like they made tons of M rated games in the 90s. If anything, it'd be because the developers that DO make these games choose to not make them for Nintendo's platforms anymore.

Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest

None of those are made by Nintendo though. Neither is Sonic.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

ok so in 2007 a wii was being sold every 17 second in amazon and that was a year after it released and with out nintendo we would be playing horrible games console ga,es only became famous because of nintendo

Japan was obsessed with it...easily one per household at the least. Then, of course, the obsession with it moving with you..also notice how quickly the hype for it died shortly after its year release

None of those are made by Nintendo though. Neither is Sonic.

Yes but Nintendo allows the developers to make them exclusive to Nintendo.

Then why can I get some of those games for my Playstation?
bob5442
bob5442
35 posts
Blacksmith

Mario games aren't "extremely easy" as a rule at all.
BUT I know that Kirby games are super easy because Nintendo geared it as
easy

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

also notice how quickly the hype for it died shortly after its year release

Not really, considering the Wii was still in short supply a year and a half after it released. That's not quickly dying hype at all. And I do mean in the US.

Then it sold out AGAIN in 2009 when NSMB Wii came out.
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

i like nintendo but only for the games they are known for .. [mostly mario and zelda maybe even pokemon] becuase other then that they get watered down version ports of games that are also on xbox/ps3

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

What, did you run around in a circle on Epony screaming "HAH! HYEAAA!"?
Only during the day, at night I was hunting Poes.

breakdown of Nintendo Franchises (That I have played)

Super Smash Bros (I have played Brawl), awesome, I can play this all day if I have an opponnent

Pikmin (2, not 1) pretty good, enemies can be frustrating (and the controls annoying because it can be hard to tell where you are shooting (missed several times trying to kill a snagret)

Mario (both Galaxies, and NSMB Wii) Galaxies were nice, but frustrating when you are navigating areas with lots of dangers that move (sugar something galaxy), Was not real impressed with NSMB.

LoZTP), Enemies easy to kill, bosses dissappointing, Something that would be nice is a way to skip forward to day/night.

And One I haven't played

Star Fox, looks pretty good, going to need to buy the one released for Gamecube and buy a controller (my wii is backwards compatible)

~~~Darth Caedus
MattBPlaysMinecraft
MattBPlaysMinecraft
10 posts
Nomad

How is the Wii a failure... ? It sold much more than XBOX 360 and PS3. Sure it's not a lot of people's cup of tea, but it certainly is no failure!

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

How is the Wii a failure... ? It sold much more than XBOX 360 and PS3. Sure it's not a lot of people's cup of tea, but it certainly is no failure!

In terms of what it was supposed to do...it kinda was a failure. The console was trying to "usher in a new age of gaming" (as most do..)..but more specifically was going for motion control gaming...now, it did achieve this..but not in the way everyone was expecting. Think Steel Battalion Heavy Armor..but with a bunch of hype..and only a couple things that people generally enjoy
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

ok, let me take this from the top-
the Wii was supposed to create motion gaming and active, physical gaming for people to get into shape. then, later, they got the generic CoD and other games from activision (there strongest developer). however, the motion control is often glitchy, and most Wii games are quite the grahpical step down from PS3 and 360. the WiiU has scratched motion control, and i really dont blame them because it was becoming an extremely weak aspect of the console. i believe the PS4 and the 720 will DOMINATE the WiiU in everything from sales to games, but the WiiU is a nice addition to the Wii. it sold much more? even though this is true, your getting much more for your money in almost any other console. the Wii was a failure, just not as bad as some people are saying.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

You know the only reason people buy a nintendo system isn't really for like the said motion control and all else. It's because of the classical games like Mario, Metroid, Link, etc you can only get those games on a nintendo system, I mean I have both the Wii and a Wii U but I don't care about all those ****ing shooter games on the PS3 and Xbox that's all that their basing their games on now shooting it's just full of dog poop.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is literally none of their games are rated M! The Wii is a horrible console, They should have expanded and built a new version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Henceforth known as the Snes) The SNES was a great system and if they made a more modern version of it. Also if they make more games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest, They would be much more popular. I have nothing against Mario (Actually I love it) but I hate Sonic and Kirby. They gear way too many of their games towards family and kids. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having some video games geared towards family and kids, but not 80% of them.

You realize those games that you are requesting were rated Kids to Adults, right?

So why must games be rated Mature in order to be "good", Blk? A great game does not rely on sexuality, drugs, gore, nudity, and strong language to be its support platforms. As I pointed out above, those games were rated Kids to Adults back in the day, which would transition to E for Everyone. Suggesting that games need to be Mature to be a good game is automatically suggesting anything lower is fodder and that Duke Nukem Forever is good (it isn't).

and most Wii games are quite the grahpical step down from PS3 and 360.

This is due to the Wii's lack of processing hardware. However, we all know that graphics to not make the game. Games that prioritize in graphics above everything else tend.to.be.terrible.games.

i believe the PS4 and the 720 will DOMINATE the WiiU in everything from sales to games

If there's anything to be seen from last generation, the WiiU will still triumph over both combined.

the WiiU is a nice addition to the Wii.

The WiiU is the next generation from the Wii, not an "expansion", like the Xbox360 Elite.
=====================================

The Wii's motion ideals failed due to Nintendo's having to pry into every game and input motion controls into games with controls that can do fine without it. They believed that every game must require motion controls, though there are games that just.don't.need.them (read: most). So what did games get from this? Controls that could be met by flicking your wrist sitting in the chair, when buttonmapping would be just fine and annoying button commands that the game demanded you absolutely MUST point at the screen, lest you sit there. THAT was their failure.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

If there's anything to be seen from last generation, the WiiU will still triumph over both combined.

Ah, but the Wii U isn't the Wii.

The Wii was exciting and anticipated. The Wii changed the way many people look at games, changed gaming itself by implementing motion controls in a previously unheard-of scale, appealed to scores of casual buyers who'd never get either of the other two consoles.

The Wii U wasn't anywhere near as anticipated, revolutionary or compelling. It didn't get close to the Wii's launch sales.

This is due to the Wii's lack of processing hardware. However, we all know that graphics to not make the game. Games that prioritize in graphics above everything else tend.to.be.terrible.games.

Graphics don't make the game, sure, but "games that prioritize graphics" is a total non-issue. Really, name a single game that is ALL about the graphics.
Better yet, name the best-looking console games of this generation. I assure you they're mostly extremely well-reviewed games like Skyrim, Gears of War 3, Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3, and that they're nowhere to be seen on the Wii.

Great graphics are quite often a mark of great effort being put into a game, which is usually indicative of a good game. And developers don't even bother downgrading everything for the Wii, because it would be too much effort for little payoff, since the majority of gamers who care about that sort of game have the other consoles.
The Wii's inferior hardware actively prevents it from getting some titles altogether. That's gonna happen again with the Wii U, mark my words. It's competing with seven-year-old consoles. It's gonna get real unattractive real soon.

We're gonna get another generation of PlayStation/XBox within two years at the most, and then boom, the Wii U is on life-support, relying on first-party games for its only highlights.
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

We're gonna get another generation of PlayStation/XBox within two years at the most, and then boom, the Wii U is on life-support, relying on first-party games for its only highlights.

This. The WiiU is a decent competitor for the Xbox 360 and the PS3 at best, both of which are at the end of their life cycles. The WiiU is already doing poorly when it comes to third-party games. I'm not sure if there is a single multi-platform game that is coming out on the Wii U. Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, none of those games are on Wii U. Neither are Tomb Raider and the new Metal Gear. It's not a shock that Wii U sales are already lacking.

That being said, it wouldn't be difficult for Nintendo to skyrocket sales. "New SSB announced, Wii U exclusive." Or "Next Zelda game only on Wii U." I'm sure something like that is in the making right now.
stickupkid97
stickupkid97
17 posts
Nomad

I love Nintendo games but im sticking with my xbox. I can tell im outgrowing Nintendo fast.

Showing 31-45 of 66