ForumsWEPR"french are coward who always surrender" -_-

63 20522
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

well, firstly, im not french.

now, why the american public {and alot of other [non-french] western public start to belive that hte french are cowerds who always surrender?
for exmple, i just saw "that 70' show" {preety old, i know, but whatever i love it}. in one episode, red decline to sell there house to a french couple, because "they will give it to the first germans they will see".
and there is more in almost every other USA shows.

does no one remmember Napoleon? in the first world war, they won the war. there army was the one who fought in all the frontiers. in the second world war, the 'surrendered' after them and the british armies as lost.

so why peopels? why?

• 63 Replies
PanzerTank
PanzerTank
1,708 posts
Nomad

I don't think you understand how society works. The stereotype that the French are cowards who surrender easily has been in America a very long time, and T.V. shows are an excellent way to show that. T.V. shows follow what the public(or at least a large part of it) believe. "That 70's Show" is an even better example in that it includes public opinion from both the 70's and when it was made. The stereotype that the French are cowards who surrender easily has been in America a very long time, and T.V. shows are an excellent way to show that.

I disagree, if you go by stereotypes all Americans are fat, arrogant and red necks. That's obviously not the case, for example the Americans have what, a top 3 medal count this year in the Olympics? Just because something is a stereotype doesn't mean people believe it. Stereotypes are supposed to be taken as funny when they are in comedy shows I think, not as serious as this guy is taking it from the OP.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

I disagree, if you go by stereotypes all Americans are fat, arrogant and red necks. That's obviously not the case, for example the Americans have what, a top 3 medal count this year in the Olympics? Just because something is a stereotype doesn't mean people believe it. Stereotypes are supposed to be taken as funny when they are in comedy shows I think, not as serious as this guy is taking it from the OP.

sometimes stereotypes do hold a piece of truth.
example: "americans are fat"
bigmac258
bigmac258
103 posts
Nomad

not all of France surrendered just the southern half the northern half kept fighting

bigmac258
bigmac258
103 posts
Nomad

meant to say surrendered in ww2

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

example: "americans are fat"

And you can expect about 10% of those are actually really really fat. Obesity is defined as having so much weight to so little height, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the olympians are "obese", because muscle weighs more than fat, so if they have too much of it, you would be labeled obese.

look at this guy, his name is tom naughton, and if you seen his movie fat head, he started it out obese, and he looked a lot like this.

http://www.2blowhards.com/tom_naughton_sized.jpg
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

And you can expect about 10% of those are actually really really fat.

no this is the % of obesity. the amount whit overweight is in the usa near to 70%.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Look at the above pic, that guy is/was obese, so they obviously need to rework their classification system.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

your definition is different.
you say all weight that is over the "recommended" weight is obesity.

but the 1st 20kg or something (i don't have to right numbers or source at hand) is just overweight. after it they count it as obesity.

anyway we are way off-topic. this was supposed to be about the french.
what stereotypes do you guys have maybe nationsmaster can confirm 1 =P

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

one last thing to say on the matter of americans are fat.

this is a list of overweight or obese sports stars and olympians.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

to all you people defending the french, they lost their own civil war to the Belgian

~manly man

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

one last thing to say on the matter of americans are fat.

The Body Mass Index (BMI) Is flawed, and that's exactly the reason why. According to the BMI, someone with 5% body fat and shredded could be fat, simply because of their mass versus their height. There's a better scale for testing if someone's obese, and I can't remember what it is exactly, but they use a special clamp- like took to measure different fatty points on the body to tell you the percentage of fat you had (I went through it in high school wrestling).
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

The Body Mass Index (BMI) Is flawed, and that's exactly the reason why. According to the BMI, someone with 5% body fat and shredded could be fat, simply because of their mass versus their height. There's a better scale for testing if someone's obese, and I can't remember what it is exactly, but they use a special clamp- like took to measure different fatty points on the body to tell you the percentage of fat you had (I went through it in high school wrestling).

there's a way to test your actual body fat using skin-fold calipers, but i am not sure how it works.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

there's a way to test your actual body fat using skin-fold calipers, but i am not sure how it works.

That's probably what they were using on me. They take three measurements of your back, arm, and muffin top, and then they had an equation to find out the average.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

good that sumo wrestling aint a olympian sport i guess =P
anyway yea i know they are there. just look at every weight lifter or shot putters.

to all you people defending the french, they lost their own civil war to the Belgian

so? nearly all countrys have lost a war sometimes.
and beside that. the french should keep their hands of belgium they are our (the dutch) little brother not theirs.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

so? nearly all countrys have lost a war sometimes.
first off i'm becoming a grammar nazi and that is countries to you. and yes that's a true statement but come on, how many countries have lost a war with themselves?

~manly man
Showing 16-30 of 63