ForumsThe Tavernbraces, the torture within

25 4020
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

how many of you have/are/will be experiencing the cruel and unusual torment of braces and what are your tips for going through that torment, how to fix problems etc.

~manly man

• 25 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I got braces back in 2009, and had to wear them for 18 months. I didn't really find them to be torture, of course, the problem that I had with my teeth was relatively minor, so they didn't use the "heavy stuff" (E.G. Metal bands, tightening every month, thick wires.)

Right after I got the braces, I actually started crying cause the pain wouldn't stop. I would lay awake until 12-1:00am because I couldn't get my head comfortable (I sleep on my stomach, or my side 99% of the time, and when your teeth hurt, laying like that does not feel good.) One time, I couldn't even eat white bread my teeth hurt so bad... I had to live off tomato soup for about 4 days.

Overall it wasn't that bad. The pain usually only lasted a few days after the appointment, and my teeth didn't hurt after every appointment.

I almost kind of enjoyed the experience. Made me appreciate my teeth a little more.

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

There really isn't anything that bad about having braces other than the the hassle of having braces. The pain shouldn't be unbearable or all that bad, unless you're trying to eat after having braces put in or after they are adjusted. Brushing and eating are different since you need to brush around the braces and are stuck on soft foods (or non-solid foods likes soup) until your teeth stop hurting. When you get a retainer, talking is different because the retainer takes up space in your mouth that interferes with the tongue.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

oh yes of course, the retainer, i can hardly wait, only i have 2, for about 20 more months

~manly man

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I had braces. I think I had them for about 2 years. The most pain was getting them put on and when they tighten them. After the first few tightenings I was fine and thought I had everything under control. But then they gave me a sort of super wire. It was really thick and sort of rubbery. Besides that everything was fine. Nothing much really changed in my life. I got them taken off and my teeth felt oddly light. I eventually got used to that and the retainer.

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

I currently have braces. This is my second set of them. Ibuprophen usually helps with the pain.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

same here, wearing braces and hatin it. they don't hurt anymore but they don't want me eating candy or nuts or hardshell tacos or allot of other things, that's probably the worst part

~manly man

dragonhunter422
dragonhunter422
130 posts
Nomad

Im wearing braces right now. But I only have to wear braces 16 months (5 months to go). Not TOO long, but with braces, any amount of time with them on is too long.
you know, an orthodondist would make a good torturer.

XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

I think the only people who need braces are people how have problems with their teeth. for example if they can't eat properly, talk properly, or if their teeth are just really ugly. other than that braces are unnecessary.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

same here, wearing braces and hatin it. they don't hurt anymore but they don't want me eating candy or nuts or hardshell tacos or allot of other things, that's probably the worst part

That was the worst part. I am a huge fan of Jelly Bellys, and I couldn't eat them for almost two years. The way to get over that, is to keep telling yourself that after the braces are off, you will have a perfect smile. Keep that in mind, and it shouldn't seem so bad. Why do you have to wear braces?

I think the only people who need braces are people how have problems with their teeth. for example if they can't eat properly, talk properly, or if their teeth are just really ugly. other than that braces are unnecessary.

That's kind of obvious. If you don't have a problem with your teeth, braces aren't necessary.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

That's kind of obvious. If you don't have a problem with your teeth, braces aren't necessary.

But some people get braces or want them when their teeth look fine. But no... They need them PERFECT. I don't really get it.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Look for the power within to fight off the pain.

But no, never had braces. My teeth are straight, so no need.

Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

Braces don't hurt. When I was in 4th to 5th grade, I had them and they were perfectly fine, along with I was able to eat everything without problem or something getting stuck.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

Why do you have to wear braces?
terrible teeth
Look for the power within to fight off the pain.
if i recall correctly that's where i got the name for this thread

~manly man
Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

Braces suck. There is no way around it. But the really bad pain only lasts for a couple of days after they get put on or tightened. Just make sure you floss enough, because I didn't, and now my gums are all messed up.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

I never needed braces and will never need them. Perfect teeth!

One time I had a little spacer on the roof of my mouth. I thought it looked like a spider. I got it off once i turned like 8. I was scared that they were putting some bug in my mouth when I first got it at the age of 6 I think.

Showing 1-15 of 25