ForumsThe TavernThe days of yore

41 6142
Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

So a lot of people that have been on AG since the beginning of time (or something close to that), have been talking about how AG used to be some much better. I've mostly seen this in threads like this. How was AG better then than these modern times?

• 41 Replies
XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

The only thing that has REALLY changed is the activity. Other things have happened as a result of that.

haha there are so many threads like this. This forum is like Eeyore, the donkey from winnie the poo. We have a rain cloud following us, our house is always knocked down, hopefully we can get back on our feet soon.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

People will maybe start posting again and maybe next time, there will be good changes and everyone will live happily forever.

It's just as likely that everyone will be lost at the beginning; if the forums are wiped clean, all the threads will be gone and most of us would either be constantly recreating the old ones or sitting and waiting for everyone else to do so.

Of course, it isn't easy creating an entire forum from scratch; most of the AG2 users will still be under the impression that the old threads still exist somewhere, so it will be weird to see even similar ones being restarted completely.

winnie the poo

The 'h' at the end is imperative.
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Everyone's friends were around, had a community manager, and most of the mods regularly posted. Then people got bored, their lives got busy, or they didn't want to continue using a site that has tons of problems.

Maybe when AG3 comes out, that will be a new beginning for armor games. People will maybe start posting again and maybe next time, there will be good changes and everyone will live happily forever. But who knows if its going to happen :P

Going by what GoM said...how do we know that us players, the ones that are still active as we speak, won't move on with our lives when AG3 comes out? Then several years when AG4 is coming out, there will be people like us discussing the very topic missing the old AG2 users. What if this is just some sort of pattern. AG1 players left (a majority of them) at the start and middle of AG2. So what if we start to do that? You know get on with our lives when AG3 comes out?

poo

Hehe...
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Going by what GoM said...how do we know that us players, the ones that are still active as we speak, won't move on with our lives when AG3 comes out?

We will, but people will replace us. I do things throughout the day that don't involve the internet, so I'm usually only around in the morning and late at night when I don't have plans (AG time). Being on right now is rare, I should be reading, writing, or playing something, but I felt like checking here since I checked my email.
And with school starting up soon expect most of the people you see now to become less active. Personally this is my last year of school, and after that I have plans that require a lot of effort and little time for stuff like this. I'm pretty sure it's the last year of school for some other people too, so expect them to be busy next year. That is if they're not bums.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Other things didn't go down because activity. Activity went down because of the other things. Honestly, if you're going to talk about these things, it's imperative that you actually know what you're talking about.

Only forum activity has gone down; comment activity has, frankly, stimulated because of this. Activity in general has only shifted. There are more game comments. Look at the last few users who've become gold kings or are on their way. Daleks, Minotaur55, Skele, and shock all source most of their AP from comments. Then look at a veteran who became a gold king a long time ago. Cen's AP is largely sourced from forum posts. Cen used to be a mod so he may not be the best example, but I can't remember anyone else who was like that right now.

The mod team is ****ed up right now. You can't argue that. All but 2 or 3 mods are dormant, and have been for a while. They need to be demoted. They don't need replacements.

Then people got bored, their lives got busy, or they didn't want to continue using a site that has tons of problems.

Although those things contribute a lot, they aren't the sole problems. The whole situation is extremely complicated and a lot of details are involved. There are no seasonal Armatars, for example. That contributed to the decisions of all of the inactive users, whether it was a little or a lot.

What if this is just some sort of pattern. AG1 players left (a majority of them) at the start and middle of AG2. So what if we start to do that? You know get on with our lives when AG3 comes out?

This is going to happen. I know if AG3 is sub par compared what was promised, I will contemplate leaving. I don't think it's a cycle though; the right steps were made. Each day helped contribute to the problem. It was a specific series of events that inevitably led to this.

I could write a book on this mess.
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

There are no seasonal Armatars,

Its been like that for a looooooong time
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Maybe when AG3 comes out, that will be a new beginning for armor games. People will maybe start posting again and maybe next time, there will be good changes and everyone will live happily forever. But who knows if its going to happen :P

Although Ernie makes a point about this - i think there could be a new boom as such in the forums, just for the case of trying out the new Rep system.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

And now the only people who post are me, tactical, MageGrayWolf, You, Jeff, Salvidian, daleks, shock, and several others who I can not think of right now.

Wha-- ahh thats ok I forgive you
me maybe, i been posting for a full month and spikeabc?

debatable. Surely, they will mention me next!
Cenere, GoM, ManlyMan, to name a few.

well, Cenny and them are fairly popular....
Cough...Ace...Cough.

>.>
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I do remember the community being much more active. In fact, now, most of us common users can actually recognize and name off-site the other active members, not counting mods.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

The moderation isn't as "tight" as it once was

But now my school work will come first instead.
Seriously, it does take a long time to moderate, not only the forums, but everywhere else, to a perfect state of 'no spam, thousands of complaints anyway, because people can't see over their own nose'.

Cen's AP is largely sourced from forum posts. Cen used to be a mod so he may not be the best example

Most mod-stuff is actually on the profiles, because we don't go calling people out on the forums, if they need a warning.
More so, I did push the use of tagging the title, so we didn't have to repeat ourselves when we were locking posts.
So, honestly, I think I am a pretty good example.

Although those things contribute a lot, they aren't the sole problems. The whole situation is extremely complicated and a lot of details are involved. There are no seasonal Armatars, for example. That contributed to the decisions of all of the inactive users, whether it was a little or a lot.

One thing is the seasonal armatars, another is the fact that there, after four years, still are stupid errors that could have been cleared up back in '08. That the site, for every update, gets more annoying to navigate. That stuff gets implemented that we don't need, but that stuff we need are postponed endlessly because it isn't important.
To me, I could live easily without the armatar contest, but the pile-up of errors and stupidity surrounding the site, that is what pushes me towards the edge.

That said, a majority of the mods are inactive exactly because of their lives getting busy (or because they are bored). After all, they are all 18+, they have school, jobs, so on, so forth. And whenever they log on, they see people complaining about what they did or didn't do. It's like working in customer service, except you don't physically get yelled at, and your managers or supervisors are on an endless break, or working hard to make it more annoying to do their job. If someone is then already working in a service based environment...

Anyway, onto the topic:
AG was better because it was small and had a stronger community. It is no longer small, and the natural evolution, along with nostalgia, is making people remember those times with more positive ease than they see stuff now.
It's not actually such, that the times were better, just that they were different and people don't like change.
However, while the site itself have simply changed and grown, some things are starting to trigger a bit of rage from anyone that can remember what time was like before those things occurred.

Oh, and obligatory 'the staff sucks' comment.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Seeing as most of the issues that arise are beyond the powers of us mere mods, I've been lurking. And waiting for v3 to come out and get a fresh start.

You know how much fun it is looking in the forums and realizing a vast majority of the issues I can not do anything about? Then just having to go around and delete spam in game comments? And then realize "Da hell am I doing. Two spam comments replace every one I delete."

Besides, it is rather tame for the most part compared to other times. For whatever reason that may be. Move a thread every so often. Yell at someone. Ban someone for the umpteenth time on their new account. Thrilling.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

And now the only people who post are me, tactical, MageGrayWolf, You, Jeff, Salvidian, daleks, shock, and several others who I can not think of right now.

You do realize if only those posted the forums would be pretty much dead.

Basically, like XVERB said there are way too many threads like this and like a lot have mentioned just wait for AG3...
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Umm.... I had a long, good post set up after that.
it seems that its only half of what o actually posted. Weird. Yet another problem...

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

That said, a majority of the mods are inactive exactly because of their lives getting busy (or because they are bored). After all, they are all 18+, they have school, jobs, so on, so forth. And whenever they log on, they see people complaining about what they did or didn't do. It's like working in customer service, except you don't physically get yelled at, and your managers or supervisors are on an endless break, or working hard to make it more annoying to do their job. If someone is then already working in a service based environment...

Not to mentioned they don't get paid, bless em.
BlueChel5
BlueChel5
20 posts
Nomad

This is sad. I was one of those users that quit early on. But I am back and it seemed like things changed. Don't get me wrong, some did, but I see what you guys mean. Inactivity, spam, and stupid non-honest profiles! I really can't stand the spam by the way. I wish things would go back to what people said it was. I still don't understand what you would have to do to earn a merit though...

Showing 16-30 of 41