ForumsThe TavernSleeping problems... again

44 4888
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Of all nights, I have trouble sleeping tonight. I shut everything off and went into my bed at midnight, it's currently 4:45am, and I'm still up. That's over four hours of lying there and trying to sleep, yet I couldn't.

I don't know why; I go to school five days a week (that requires me to be up by 8am), I workout five-six days a week (a solid hour and a half of exercising each day), and have a balanced diet, but I still can't sleep normally.

I've also been having this other problem where I'll go to sleep at a reasonable time but wake up frequently in the night. Such as last week: I'd go to bed around 11pm but wake up at 5-7am for no apparent reason. It wasn't just once, but several times. I'd get up at 5am thinking it's time for school but check my clock and realise it's too early, so I went back to bed, then about half an hour to an hour later it'd repeat.

I have to be ready for school in three hours. I don't think I'll be able to get any sleep tonight, but any help would be appreciated.

• 44 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I slept like a baby last night (minus the crying), from 8pm to 8am.

Daleks - It is usually normal on the weekdays because of school. I try to be in bed 10pm-midnight, but some days I just can't sleep. The weekend however, I throw that schedule out the window because I want to have fun, I don't want to waste time sleeping when I don't have a reason to wake up early the next day. Though on Saturday nights I set my alarm to wake me up 6-8 hours after I go to sleep. Last Saturday I went to bed around 6am and woke up at 2pm. I shouldn't have had trouble sleeping Sunday night.

Kegaumongo - Just water or milk. I haven't drank any sort of soda in a while.

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

I have a few more ideas.

- No sodas, but what about energy drinks?
- Do you take a nap during the day? If so, be sure it doesn't last more than 15-20 minutes.
- When those sleeping problems started, anything else happened? I don't need the details, but if you're nervous for something that may be the reason.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

I slept like a baby last night (minus the crying), from 8pm to 8am.

First of all, good to hear you had a good night's sleep! That's a plus to hear after your desaster night from the night before...

Now, from what I've read is that your biological clock is a little 'off track' at the moment... basically this means that you have very irregular hours that you go to bed and get up out of bed and that can be a disaster for some persons!
All you can do is try to get a little rythem into your system by going to bed at regular hours and get up at regular times.

Another great help is that it is said that sleeping for an uneven period is better than sleeping for an even amount of time! I.e. sleeping for 7 hours is better than 8 hours!

I hope these tips are of any use to you and I wish you a good night's rest! =)

http://www.happywivesclub.com/storage/garfield%20sleeping.jpg
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

No sodas, but what about energy drinks?

Aside from coffee, no, and I only drink coffee in the morning with my breakfast.
Do you take a nap during the day?

No.
When those sleeping problems started, anything else happened?

Trauma last year, that's when my sleeping problems started, but I don't know why that would be affecting me now. I've gone several months with sleeping fine.

My sleeping schedule has been fine these past few days, but I've been having trouble getting up in the morning. I keep waking up several times in the middle of the night, but I don't know why.
- My room is completely dark.
- It's not completely silent or very loud, the only thing I can hear when I'm in bed is my air conditioner.
- I don't think I'm having nightmares.

From what I can tell, there's no reason for me to be waking up in the middle of the night, but I still am...
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

From what I can tell, there's no reason for me to be waking up in the middle of the night, but I still am...

If it's a consolation, I've been having trouble sleeping since I was 13yo so... I don't remember sleeping 8 hours in-a-row for a looooooong time but on a good night I can sleep 5 hours.
kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

Aside from coffee, no, and I only drink coffee in the morning with my breakfast.

If it's only in the morning, I don't think that it's the reason of your sleeping problems.

Trauma last year, that's when my sleeping problems started, but I don't know why that would be affecting me now. I've gone several months with sleeping fine.

If it's some kind of physical trauma, then I don't think it is the cause. However, if you're talking about an emotional trauma (hope it's not the case), then I have my doubts. The brain is a mystery and sometimes it shows the pain in a very unusual way. As an example, the father of a colleague at work died three years ago. She was relatively fine for a while, though she refused to talk about what happened and share the pain with her family. Then a year later or so, she started having anxiety attacks and sleeping problems because she hadn't got over her father's death.

I'm not an expert on sleeping problems. All I've said is based on personal experiences, so if this issue carries on you should ask a doctor.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Time-released melatonin pills + read something boring before bed + eschew computer use before bed + nightlight.

Regarding the use of a nightlight, even though I don't use one anymore, I've noticed that I tend to fall asleep more easily when lights are on.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

If it's some kind of physical trauma, then I don't think it is the cause. However, if you're talking about an emotional trauma (hope it's not the case), then I have my doubts

Emotional.
I'm not an expert on sleeping problems. All I've said is based on personal experiences, so if this issue carries on you should ask a doctor.

I have a doctor appointment in three days for something else, but I'll bring up my sleeping problems in the middle of it to see if he can do anything.
Regarding the use of a nightlight, even though I don't use one anymore, I've noticed that I tend to fall asleep more easily when lights are on.

I'm the other way around. The light bothers my eyes when I'm trying to sleep and gives me a reason to stay awake, since I'm able to see everything in my room.
Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

Have you tried falling asleep in front of the telly? That works for me most of the time.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Have you tried falling asleep in front of the telly?

That's worse than a nightlight; all those constantly moving lights.
Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

You could try setting it to white noise or the news and facing away from the telly. Not too loud of course.

Or you could try a light alcoholic beverage. A glass or two of wine should increase drowsiness.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

That's actually a terrible idea, a nightcap has been said to be effective in the early hours of the night, but has the capacity to completely ruin your night later on.

And besides if I remember correctly Matrix is a minor, so unless his parents keep some type of alcohol in the house, it's not happening. Not that it is a good idea in the first place.

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

I have a doctor appointment in three days for something else, but I'll bring up my sleeping problems in the middle of it to see if he can do anything.

Honestly, it's the best thing you can do. He/she can give you better advice than anybody else.

Or you could try a light alcoholic beverage. A glass or two of wine should increase drowsiness.

Alcohol might help you falling asleep, but it's definitely not a good idea to solve sleeping problems. In my case, if I drink any sort of alcoholic beverage, I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Matrix is too young to drink, I think, but the nightcap will hurt you in the long run.

I skimmed the thread and saw what I thought I might: drug use :P try not to use stimulants like caffeine. Try cutting your morning coffee, as stimulants can hurt sleep patterns. Even if you only do it in the morning.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Wouldn't the caffeine jolt in the morning be clear of his system by that night? Liquids tend to be digested rather quickly.

Showing 16-30 of 44