ForumsWEPRAn Issue of Reality

27 10094
Alpha791
Alpha791
3,896 posts
Peasant

Think about this. What is color? Most of you will say what light looks like right? Well actually, color doesn't exist. Light is just light. All light is is photons moving in different wavelengths. They don't have color. What color really is is your brain interpreting the signals it receives from your eyes. On top that, every person interprets color differently, sometimes only slightly, sometimes drastically. Sight is one of the most basic feelings that life depends on to survive but it is a lie. If sight is a lie, what else is true? If our mind only weaves together ways for us to comprehend what really is there, how DO we know what really is there?

• 27 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

We perceive it as such because our mind does not want to look at light and see constant white, white, and more white. The mind must make sense of the world.

What the...

There is a story I heard (from my psychology teacher) where a student was in a Philosophy class and they were taking their last test of the year. The teacher placed a chair on his desk and told the students that for their test they had to prove that the chair was actually there/existed. The student wrote 1 sentence on his paper, turned it in, and got an A. All he put on the paper was "What chair?" (your questioning reminded me of this story)

Phylosophy..
http://www.cointalk.com/attachments/149257d1323110315t-tsoukalos.jpg

What causes this reflection of light? The atoms.

The colour and thus the wavelength of the reflected light depends on the molecular structure of the surface of an object, that's why he put "directly" in brackets.

If what we see, hear, smell, taste, and feel is a simulation, how can we tell what exactly the original stimuli is? Yes we can tell something is there but how do we tell WHAT is there?

Measurements and observations using instruments, thus bypassing the limitations of our senses. Just look at physics, for example.
Alpha791
Alpha791
3,896 posts
Peasant

Measurements and observations using instruments, thus bypassing the limitations of our senses. Just look at physics, for example.

Everything we use to detect and tell what is real is built around our 5 senses so it can be given to us in a way that our brains can comprehend. Even with this, our perceptions still limit our ability to tell what really is there. These instruments tell us simply that what is there is energy in different wavelengths all the way across the spectrum and matter, in the form of particles, that make atoms, that make molecules and so on. Our senses tell us different things so do we trust the machines to tell us that the only things there are different forms of energy? (Since matter, according to Einstein, is also energy in an altered state.)
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

If what we see, hear, smell, taste, and feel is a simulation, how can we tell what exactly the original stimuli is? Yes we can tell something is there but how do we tell WHAT is there?

I think this last point does an excellent job of touching upon the issue surrounding the current discussion. The issue of perception vs. reality lies not just in the realm of colour, but threatens to undermine everything we perceive.
The issue at hand is how in-touch with reality we actually are. It seems perfectly reasonable to take on the thesis of direct (or naive) realism, which claims that we see the world as it is. But the differences in perception already mentioned seem to undermine direct realism, at least to some degree. We should also consider the bent stick argument: a stick submerged in water appears bent, even though it is still straight. Scenarios like this are precisely why it makes sense to differentiate between appearance and reality (it appears as though X but actually it's Y).
But if direct realism is false, where does that leave us? It seems prudent to adopt at least some amount of skepticism regarding our perceptions, but how much? Should we embrace the extreme skepticism of idealists or phenomenologists? Certainly there must be some middle ground, but how to we define it?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Everything we use to detect and tell what is real is built around our 5 senses so it can be given to us in a way that our brains can comprehend. Even with this, our perceptions still limit our ability to tell what really is there. These instruments tell us simply that what is there is energy in different wavelengths all the way across the spectrum and matter, in the form of particles, that make atoms, that make molecules and so on. Our senses tell us different things so do we trust the machines to tell us that the only things there are different forms of energy? (Since matter, according to Einstein, is also energy in an altered state.)

We built those instruments trimmed to our senses, but since we built them we know how they work; thus, we know what sort of data the instrument can assess and what not. We then establish a hypothesis explaining the data and make experiments than will or will not support the hypothesis, and make further instruments. So far, physics has proven to be quite accurate in that matter.

Though it always depends on the scale we look at, for example do Newtons laws function perfectly on the scale of processes that we humans are confronted with daily, but are unusable at the astrophysical scale where they are replaced by Einsteins theorems.

However, in my opinion doubting the reality of reality simply because we are naturally not omniscient is idle talk.

But if direct realism is false, where does that leave us? It seems prudent to adopt at least some amount of skepticism regarding our perceptions, but how much? Should we embrace the extreme skepticism of idealists or phenomenologists? Certainly there must be some middle ground, but how to we define it?

I think this can be adressed by what Dawkins said.. that our reality is a simulation of the actual processes. What we see, what we live, is a direct result from the way our senses are built; understanding how our senses work leads to understanding of the actual processes behind it. It is futile to proclaim there can be only one reality or none; everything lives in its own reality, tied to its properties, within the actual world.
Alpha791
Alpha791
3,896 posts
Peasant

Though it always depends on the scale we look at, for example do Newtons laws function perfectly on the scale of processes that we humans are confronted with daily, but are unusable at the astrophysical scale where they are replaced by Einsteins theorems.

This is how i feel that physics cannot sum up the rules surrounding the universe. Quantum physics do not work with the equations dealing with larger bodies, so how can either be correct? If the atoms create galaxies, shouldn't the rules for the behaviors of atoms fit into the equations for the behaviors of galaxies? If not, how can we be sure of anything at all?

However, in my opinion doubting the reality of reality simply because we are naturally not omniscient is idle talk.

Isn't that the point of the World Events forums? To idly converse over issues?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

This is how i feel that physics cannot sum up the rules surrounding the universe. Quantum physics do not work with the equations dealing with larger bodies, so how can either be correct? If the atoms create galaxies, shouldn't the rules for the behaviors of atoms fit into the equations for the behaviors of galaxies? If not, how can we be sure of anything at all?

The problem is that we're running backwards, so to say. First we describe our environment with our senses. Then we explain the physics on our scale. Then we describe the physics on a whole new scale and find out that the previous physics were simply an approximation that seemed fit at the time. If we knew the most basic units and how they interact, we could then, whether in a fully deterministic way or using a probabilistic approach, formulate equations for everything. We're not there yet but while philosophers sit around watching Matrix and entertaining them with hypothetical situations, physicists are working on getting there.
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

while philosophers sit around watching Matrix and entertaining them with hypothetical situations, physicists are working on getting there.

That's not a very accurate (or nice!) description of what philosophers do. And keep in mind that physicists might make certain discoveries, but without philosophy, there would not be limitations or justification for what can reasonably infer from these discoveries. Some may think that we philosophers just have our heads in the clouds, but in fact we are the ones who keep other disciplines grounded.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

That's not a very accurate (or nice!) description of what philosophers do. And keep in mind that physicists might make certain discoveries, but without philosophy, there would not be limitations or justification for what can reasonably infer from these discoveries. Some may think that we philosophers just have our heads in the clouds, but in fact we are the ones who keep other disciplines grounded.

I'm sorry if I have offended you by that, and I agree with you to a certain point.. but that's just how I feel when someone says "reality is not real" and "we cannot trust anything". I do acknowledge the philosophical discussions that actually yield insights and make us think about the approach to choose.

Or as I've said in another thread:
There's one part of me thinking some discussions are interesting and raise legitimate questions about several real issues. There's also a prominent part of me thinking philosophy artificially creates unnecessary problems it can't even solve and is a lot about who uses the most fancy words and thoughts ^^ almost like poetry, come to think of it.
Alpha791
Alpha791
3,896 posts
Peasant

Sorry, forgot this existed for a while haha

There's one part of me thinking some discussions are interesting and raise legitimate questions about several real issues. There's also a prominent part of me thinking philosophy artificially creates unnecessary problems it can't even solve and is a lot about who uses the most fancy words and thoughts ^^ almost like poetry, come to think of it.

So this doesn't raise a legitimate question? Science just goes along, typically taking the data that the machines they use spit out as fact after it works out in equations, that may or may not be correct in every instance. If what we think is there, isn't there, then wouldn't we have to rethink a lot of things?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

So this doesn't raise a legitimate question? Science just goes along, typically taking the data that the machines they use spit out as fact after it works out in equations, that may or may not be correct in every instance.

Data is not just taken as fact. Data is not just collected, but also interpreted, analysed, critiqued by others etc. As I already said, instruments were designed to assess a specific type of informations, those who understand how the instrument works exactly know what sort of data they get and how to treat them. Besides, we don't need philosophers to know that a mere difference in callibration can affect the data. Just as much as a statistician doesn't need a philosopher to know when a result makes sense or not. Philosophy, as Moegreche said, can discuss what we do with the gained knowledge however, but can do nothing with a raw set of data.

If what we think is there, isn't there, then wouldn't we have to rethink a lot of things?

Sure. We should under all circumstances always stay critical to any kind of result. But most of our gained knowledge have proven to be correct; and besides, hypothesizing about whether everything is real or not won't advance anything as it doesn't pose any alternative.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

If the moon were made of cheese it would change a lot of things too. There's a difference in philosophical possibility and realistic probability. Why don't you start naming some of these machines that science just accepts works? There is no just accepting it. The tests are repeated time and time again. The data gets subjected to tests for accuracy and precision in accordance with the calibration. They're calibrated with known entities (controls) and give consistent results with different known substances or whatever the things being studied are. When there are deviations from the norm (ie color blindness) there are consistent qualifiable/quantifiable reasons that can be discoverable and known. Even if this were the matrix the colors we know and love would be real in that they'd be emergent properties of said matrix... Just as they are emergent properties of radiation in reality. Just because it exists doesn't mean you have to be able to perceive it... Color blindness

Also, all of these tests are coupled with other tests from other machines that once calibrated are used to check each other and then add their own brush strokes to develop the overall painting that is the science.

Alpha791
Alpha791
3,896 posts
Peasant

Data is not just taken as fact. Data is not just collected, but also interpreted, analysed, critiqued by others etc. As I already said, instruments were designed to assess a specific type of informations, those who understand how the instrument works exactly know what sort of data they get and how to treat them. Besides, we don't need philosophers to know that a mere difference in callibration can affect the data. Just as much as a statistician doesn't need a philosopher to know when a result makes sense or not. Philosophy, as Moegreche said, can discuss what we do with the gained knowledge however, but can do nothing with a raw set of data.

Sure. We should under all circumstances always stay critical to any kind of result. But most of our gained knowledge have proven to be correct; and besides, hypothesizing about whether everything is real or not won't advance anything as it doesn't pose any alternative.

If the moon were made of cheese it would change a lot of things too. There's a difference in philosophical possibility and realistic probability. Why don't you start naming some of these machines that science just accepts works? There is no just accepting it. The tests are repeated time and time again. The data gets subjected to tests for accuracy and precision in accordance with the calibration. They're calibrated with known entities (controls) and give consistent results with different known substances or whatever the things being studied are. When there are deviations from the norm (ie color blindness) there are consistent qualifiable/quantifiable reasons that can be discoverable and known. Even if this were the matrix the colors we know and love would be real in that they'd be emergent properties of said matrix... Just as they are emergent properties of radiation in reality. Just because it exists doesn't mean you have to be able to perceive it... Color blindness

Also, all of these tests are coupled with other tests from other machines that once calibrated are used to check each other and then add their own brush strokes to develop the overall painting that is the science.

Yep, you guys beat me, that last post was literally just to see what kind of response I'd get, I don't feel that way about science and you guys beat that post to death with logic haha
Showing 16-27 of 27