ForumsThe TavernI can't be the only one..

39 6292
jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

Who finds sentences written correctly oddly comforting?

When I skim a thread, the grammatically correct sentences with proper spelling and capitalisation stick out and.. make me feel better.

I feel out of sorts and all kinds of crazy today.

• 39 Replies
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I was going to say something about how you don't actually learn English in English classes, you just read a few books and compare a few poems, but then I realised you genuinely took English-as-a-second-language classes. My bad!

I fact, watching American TV (Bugs Bunny, Star Trek, Mission Impossible, etc.) and playing video games helped me a lot.
One day I was on my computer and listening to the TV, I realized I could understand even without looking.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

BTW, the little arrogant jerk reply was addressed to rayoflight3, not to you jezz.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Actually, I'm usually more inclined to notice badly written sentences, because I'll often have to read them two or three times before I can piece together what the person was trying to say.

Yes.

More so in a thread where everyone is making very obvious grammatical errors or even when the title has something wrong with it. To be honest I've never seen a thread with a misspelled/ very grammatically incorrect title get very far in the discussion.

I don't think it's a matter of intelligence... people are just getting lazier!

There is a correlation between intelligence and laziness.

It's also hilarious when I see someone getting marked down on their English essay for using text-speak in it accidentally. Heh.

But really I think that whether you rejoice at a well-written sentence or rage at a bad one is more of what you see more in daily life.
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

Grammaticality does not compensate for the ugliness of chunky and clumsy sentences, especially when it flows like curdled milk. It just don't feel right. It mustn't feel like curdled milk. It mustn't feel like cold milk. Or even warm milk. It must match or surpass the mellifluence of warm milk with honey in a dashing display of subtle wordplay. That is comforting. Otherwise, I'm just reading really dry text.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Considering that English is my second language and that I never paid attention in my English classes I consider my writing superior to many here even though some arrogant little jerk might think otherwise.

Irony.

Grammaticality does not compensate for the ugliness of chunky and clumsy sentences, especially when it flows like curdled milk. It just don't feel right. It mustn't feel like curdled milk. It mustn't feel like cold milk. Or even warm milk. It must match or surpass the mellifluence of warm milk with honey in a dashing display of subtle wordplay. That is comforting. Otherwise, I'm just reading really dry text.

This be true, but some people get so caught up in producing this "warm milk with honey" that they end up vomiting "curdled milk" instead. And they delude themselves into thinking otherwise. Sometimes, colloquial language is the best way to express one's thoughts and ideas.

Also, I'm fine with just lukewarm milk unless I have a reason to expect something better. The phonaesthetics of a piece of text is trivial unless the underlying layer is meaningful. Just don't stray into that curdled territory.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I tend to be a bit of a Grammar Nazi. I was recently assigned an "Editing Challenge" in my Business Communications class. I was supposed to find ten errors in a one-page E-mail. I found forty.

On a forum, as long as the text is fairly easy to read and gets the message across, I don't really care.

ultimatesanta
ultimatesanta
91 posts
Shepherd

I dont mind it, but it bugs me when i do it myself.

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

This be true, but some people get so caught up in producing this "warm milk with honey" that they end up vomiting "curdled milk" instead. And they delude themselves into thinking otherwise. Sometimes, colloquial language is the best way to express one's thoughts and ideas.

Also, I'm fine with just lukewarm milk unless I have a reason to expect something better. The phonaesthetics of a piece of text is trivial unless the underlying layer is meaningful. Just don't stray into that curdled territory.

Like you, for instance, moralizing. Why are you talking about "other people" and "some people"? What does it matter to you what they do? Do you need to be up in people's business? Are you so far into yourself that a comparative moralizing stance is the only one you can take?
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Like you, for instance, moralizing. Why are you talking about "other people" and "some people"? What does it matter to you what they do? Do you need to be up in people's business? Are you so far into yourself that a comparative moralizing stance is the only one you can take?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I was simply offering and personal observation and opinion as you and most others in this thread did. I'm not "up in people's businesses"; most of my posts aren't serious anyway. But hey, I redirect the same questions back at ya. And another: as a mod, shouldn't you be enforcing some sort of disciplinary action (or at least giving warnings) instead of instigating?
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

And by the way, a good number of the people on this thread were either implicitly or explicitly mocking or attacking "other people." Get over yourself; these are just harmless forum posts.

PurpleSquishy
PurpleSquishy
150 posts
Shepherd

Yes, in this day of text speak it does seem out of place a little.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

At least English isn't my official mother tongue. Break them grammar rules.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Gantic, you should be more colloquial.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I was simply offering and personal observation and opinion as you and most others in this thread did. I'm not "up in people's businesses"; most of my posts aren't serious anyway. But hey, I redirect the same questions back at ya. And another: as a mod, shouldn't you be enforcing some sort of disciplinary action (or at least giving warnings) instead of instigating?

I think he was joking. You can't take mods serious most of the time. In their work, they start cracking up and babbling utter nonsense (no offense intended.)

And by the way, a good number of the people on this thread were either implicitly or explicitly mocking or attacking "other people." Get over yourself; these are just harmless forum posts.

Thanks for a visual demonstration of your point. It is rare to see such a fine specimen of attack.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Spelling on AG is a bit odd at times. What I hate the most is text language all over the place. People commenting and just saying "idk" or "ikr" just annoys me so much. But what pisses me off the most out of all the others is when people say "k". To push one button and press send, what the hell is that about? It is a waist of my time waiting for a reply that isn't even a word. I loath text talk so much, and it being on AG makes me feel like I am in hell.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I tend to to have a lot of typos because I type too fast for my own good. When I go back and read posts from a few days back, I always want to beat myself with a baseball bat for forgetting that second "o" in "too."

I don't know; maybe I'm just too nitpicky. I occasionally get compliments on my typing technique, but, meh. Most of them came from people who didn't know there was a difference between "their, there, and they're."

Showing 16-30 of 39