ForumsWEPR[NECRO] Why is that everytime i encounter a religious Christian i feel offended, why do they feel like th...

38 14326
HighSkyOverlord
HighSkyOverlord
5 posts
Nomad

Religous Topic
p.s. im athiest.

• 38 Replies
Laughable97
Laughable97
125 posts
Nomad

I think you're in the wrong area, the WEPR (World, events, politics and religion) is next door. It gets pretty heated there and we taverners prefer to relax without people fighting inside the bar.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

What mod moved this and didn't lock it for op spam?

Fyi High Sky, the title of the thread is the general topic, the OP (Opening pot) is to explain whatever the thread is about.

Since the main idea of this thread is cut off at..."why do they feel like th..." I can only guess at what you're asking.

1) Why do they feel like they need to try and convert me?
2) Why do they feel like they look down on me?
3) Why do they feel like they think I am a bad person?

etc.

So...until that's answered no one can really say anything.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I don't know but I have a question of my own
"Why do I feel offended when an ignorant atheist/ christian/ jew/ hindu/star trek fan/ star wars fan/ super man fan tries to impose his/her religious views/ favourite movies/ favourite comic book character?"
P.S
I am muslim.
My favorite movie is the Inglorious basterds.
My favorite heroes(anti- heroes?)
are The Punisher and Rorschach.

_Spaz_
_Spaz_
143 posts
Nomad

I just don't think it's JUST Christianity. That religion gets so much heat lol. How about Odinism? or Satanists?

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I just don't think it's JUST Christianity. That religion gets so much heat lol. How about Odinism? or Satanists?

It's mostly a popularity thing. With 78% or so of the US identifying as Christians, you rarely hear about others. Only 1.7% follow Judiasm. Even Islam, with over a billion members worldwide, is followed by just 0.6% of US adults. 0.7% for Buddhism. 0.4% for Hinduism. 1.2% for everything else. Other than on this site, I've never personally heard/met anyone directly supporting/preaching Odinism or Satanism, never on the news either. I have met a Wiccian, though, and she was certainly not pushy about it.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

With 78% or so of the US identifying as Christians

You mean arrogantly self titled Christians. In fact they are protestants which is a sub branch of Christianity, nothing else.
Also, their Jesus spells Je$$u$ so that says it all.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

You mean arrogantly self titled Christians. In fact they are protestants which is a sub branch of Christianity, nothing else.

Errrr... sub-branch of christianity = christian, and catholic = sub-branch of christianity too, by definition; as far as I'm concerned. Just because you apparently don't like all protestants doesn't mean they're not christian.
Besides, watching some old catholic churches full of golden ornaments and whatnot, I think the money issue doesn't even impose itself here.

And yeah, everyone prefers that all others share your convictions than the contrary; I think this is normal. It's just that some religions make it their "holy duty" to convince all others, thus caricaturizing said trait to the extreme.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Errrr... sub-branch of christianity = christian, and catholic = sub-branch of christianity too, by definition; as far as I'm concerned. Just because you apparently don't like all protestants doesn't mean they're not christian.

Where did I mention Catholics, of course they are part of Christianity but they don't arrogantly call themselves the only Christians the way the American version of the Protestants do.
StDrake
StDrake
194 posts
Lord

Besides, watching some old catholic churches full of golden ornaments and whatnot, I think the money issue doesn't even impose itself here.

yeah that part of SSTG confused me too, I saw some facts I agreed wiht, but the post as a whole was like "wtf?" It wasn't so obvious that he was implying protestants claim to bethe only "true" Christians.
As for money issues - don't look at the churches themselves. Especially the old ones were designed to impress commoners with the "maginificence of God". That could've made sense those centuries ago, but worse are those people who treat religion as business now in our times. That would actuald apply to more than just those chri$tian$.

Comming back to topic - it doesn't make sense. So you're offended by just meeting religious Christians? Then that puts YOU on the offence. Perhaps that's why you're meeting with retribution - if you start saying they're wrong to be religious, they'll try to defend themselves and convince you they're not.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Okay then stand outside a Catholic church and ask people how do they call themselves, then try the same outside a protestant church and count how many catholic would answer Catholics and how many protestants
will say they are protestant.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Okay then stand outside a Catholic church and ask people how do they call themselves, then try the same outside a protestant church and count how many catholic would answer Catholics and how many protestants
will say they are protestant.

I can already tell you the answer from experience (not by surveying outside a church but w/e).

Catholics will say either Catholic or Christian.
Protestants will say either their denomination or Christian.

So while &quotrotestant" Christians don't say, "I'm protestant" they DO say things like, "I'm a Baptist" or "I'm a Methodist." Why would they refer to themselves as disobedient to the original branch of Christianity?
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Why would they refer to themselves as disobedient to the original branch of Christianity?

That's my point, so if it's not arrogance then it's because they are ashamed of that fact.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

That's my point, so if it's not arrogance then it's because they are ashamed of that fact.

No, I'm pretty sure it's because they hold a different view than the Catholics. They split off because they thought that Catholicism wasn't the right way to worship God/follow his teachings/that they were corrupt. Nothing to do with being ashamed or arrogant.

Back to the topic, when people meet and feel offended because of the other person's views, it's likely because of things like this. Someone asserts a position (for example, that protestants are arrogant/ashamed) based on their view and don't take into consideration that there's more than one viewpoint in the whole world.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

how many people reject religion because it seems silly? And they wonder why Christians don't believe in Evolution... :P

Not really following you here. What does someone not believing a religion because they find a religious belief silly have to do with those who do believe it rejecting science?

Some Christians like to claim (/joke) that atheists came up with Evolution as an excuse for not wanting to believe in theism, but that's a bit profound, I suppose.

And those people would be dead wrong. The initial proposal for evolution comes from ancient Greek philosophy. These people would have likely believed in the existence of Zeus. The theory as it is today first developed in the 18 and 19th century by those who were Christian. It finally gained popularity and rose above other proposed theories with Charles Darwin discovering the mechanism by which evolution works. (Who by the way was also Christian.)

The only thing profound about claiming/joking that atheists came up with it as some sort of excuse with any seriousness is that it's profoundly dumb.
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Successful troll is successful.

Spam!

Anyway, to the person who posted this thread, I have no idea why you are insulted because you didn't give me the full question. The possible question is; "Why do they feel like they need to save me? or something....

Well how about a question like this; "Why do atheists feel like they need to tell me my beliefs are wrong?"

Of course, that only happened to me once when I was walking in a store with a christian T-shirt on.
Showing 1-15 of 38