ForumsWEPR[dup]Arguments for God

102 29758
wgalstin4
wgalstin4
6 posts
Blacksmith

Hi everyone,

I would like for anyone that thinks they have a convincing argument for the existence of God to post it here.

It doesn't matter if you're a believer or not, but I'd just like to see if anyone can provide an argument for the existence of God which can stand up to reasoning.

Most arguments for God's existence turn out to be circular, or can be reduced to faith alone which for me isn't enough.

I know people will say that the point in religion and God isn't to argue for His/Her/It's existence, but that the whole point is faith etc., and I acknowledge this as a valid point but one that is not relevant to this topic.

So any convincing arguments, please fire away!

• 102 Replies
StDrake
StDrake
194 posts
Lord

Logical analysis. The Bible tells us that God is all loving, all powerful, and all knowing. We can clearly find instances where these contradict, as well as directly refute claims/events. Internal consistencies and the fact that the Bible is really piecemeal Hebrew writings with original works and it just doesn't come out well.

Logical analysis based on interpretation with incomplete data. The term "loving" is already inconsistent on its own. Add to that the all-knowing part and recall that it doesn't apply to us. Now take the fact that ancient writings are riddled with symbolism that is not quite easy to understand in our times.
After that we might ask ourselves a question - are these really contradictions, or just our interpretation biased towards contradiction due to not wanting, or even anti-wanting to believe. Of course that works both ways.
Give me examples on events that can be directly refuted. To all my knowledge most of those loudest "miracles" have actually seen attempts at scientific proof. Of course it turned out they weren't miracles at all since being perfectly scientifically correct, but at least they turned out plausible. The only such even that I haven't heard any scientific explanation of yet was the resurrection of Lazarus. I can only assume some combination of leprousness + lethargy.
I have to admit however that the Bible being a mix of various things found and added on the topic doesn't help at all.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Logical analysis based on interpretation with incomplete data

Doesn't really matter if it's incomplete if you look at the complete parts.

The term "loving" is already inconsistent on its own.

It's ambiguous to some degree depending on how it's used, true. You can't reconcile arbitrary killings for petty infractions with love though, no matter what definition you use.

Now take the fact that ancient writings are riddled with symbolism that is not quite easy to understand in our times.

Symbolism still gets across fairly clear points.

Give me examples on events that can be directly refuted.

List of contradictions.

This is just the first thing I found on google and skimmed through it real quick but there's a few good ones in there.

The only such even that I haven't heard any scientific explanation of yet was the resurrection of Lazarus.

Don't forget walking on water and multiplying fish/bread, water to wine and self resurrection and other such things...
DSM
DSM
1,303 posts
Nomad

Which does not however lead to "god did it".

But it doesn't denies it.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Science doesn't deny a floating invisible pink elephant that phases through matter either. Doesn't mean it's there.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

In lack of anything supporting, you don't usually affirm either of the possibilities. Thus coming back to my question: why call it god? Nothing supports it, and the lack of counter-argument is not an argument in favor of it.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

i said why is the world not 1 foot further or 1 foot closer to the sun so that we would not be here?????

if the habitable zone is is a few millions miles wide, then it doesn't matter we are 1 foot further or closer to the sun.
we could be 500.000 miles closer or further from the sun and still we would exist.

(just check the simulator i posted )
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

it doesn't deny care bears living in the clouds...
i knew i was right, that they live there and are real. =D
hersheykissxoxo
hersheykissxoxo
7 posts
Nomad

hey, I do believe in the Christian God but I am not as smart as you guys and haven't done nearly enough scientific research to prove to you that he exists, so all i can say is be patient and you'll find out, most likely after you die, if there's a greater being involved in our lives (:

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

all i can say is be patient and you'll find out,

do some research and you'll find out.
google is your best friend

or hang around on this forum for a while and you can learn allot from it. people here are mostly well informed. (unlike most other forums wich has mostly just spammmm noobs)
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

if there's a greater being involved in our lives (:

IF, may be taking this out of context, but that would seem as though you don't believe to the full extent of others. It seems like you cede that you don't know. Just stating my observation.

i said why is the world not 1 foot further or 1 foot closer to the sun so that we would not be here?????

Earth does get one foot closer and one foot farther, Earth has an elliptical orbit that varies by about five-million kilometres, if this were true, we would already have froze/melted.

It affirms nothing either.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Someone doesn't understand how seasons work...
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I know, I know, you can all blame me and my slight inactivity as the reason why this survived two pages. But dang, y'all can't resist a good religion thread, even though there's one already in the works. Try to keep one thread and one thread only when it comes to an actual God or No-God debate, because having multiple threads on this just does not work out.

Showing 91-102 of 102