ForumsThe TavernTechnological Computers - The Computer Thread

9 2458
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

So this is going to be my official first thread that I created that I hope is not going to die within two weeks.

In this thread, we will discuss, our various computer rigs. Peripherals we want. Software. Hardware. ANYTHING! We want/own! Has to relate to computers.

So I'm building a gaming PC rig hopefully. My budget is about $700.00.

Not a lot, but I gotta make ends meet. The case I really like so far is the Thermalmake MK1 Chaser. or the Level 10 series...but they are expensive. -_- Everything about it screams buy me!

So, AG, I ask you! What kind of computer related items/virtual items are you wanting/own? Tell me your setup?

Tell me everything, from PSU to your Monitor!
Or tell me about your add-ons for FireFox? Anything computer related...! :P

• 9 Replies
Jblaze101
Jblaze101
512 posts
Peasant

ok since none is talking I want a Quad core Ivy brige processor With the newest amd graphics card with a touch screen monitor. I want also a software that you can create your or customized screen savers that would be great

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Computers are awesome, talking about them is even cooler! I like computers a lot, Laptops have gained my interest over the past few months. I will be getting a Laptop for my birthday (which is soon) and it will most likely have Windows 7, I don't know much about that so I have a surprise in that to I guess.

I also like PC gaming and hopefully I can get Aleinware which is a gaming computer. It would be awesome if I could get one, but they range from $1000 to $2000 dollars. o.o

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

@minotaur: why settle for Alienware, what about imperial software?

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Not a lot, but I gotta make ends meet. The case I really like so far is the Thermalmake MK1 Chaser. or the Level 10 series...but they are expensive. -_- Everything about it screams buy me!

What you can do is invest in a good processor, a good motherboard (upgradable) and lots of memory.
Then buy an okay video card until you can afford a better one and a decent case (a tall tower) if you plan on expanding it later.
Having lots of memory helps a lot even though the video card is on the cheapo side.

You can also buy a good video card and a lower processor that you can replace later.

For me the motherboard is the priority because this is where you put all the pieces together. The Processor can then be replaced and so is the video card. Lots of memory is good because it kind of compensate for the lack of CPU power. You can also buy a smaller capacity hard drive (which can also be replaced later).

It's really fun to build your own computer!
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Someone find me a reasonably priced laptop (less than or equal to $1,000) with decent gaming capabilities. In other words, it can smoothly run most modern games on medium graphic settings. 15.6" screen preferred. Will rep.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

I also like PC gaming and hopefully I can get Aleinware which is a gaming computer. It would be awesome if I could get one, but they range from $1000 to $2000 dollars. o.o

The laptops are pretty pricey. Desktops are overpriced badly.

What you can do is invest in a good processor, a good motherboard (upgradable) and lots of memory.
Then buy an okay video card until you can afford a better one and a decent case (a tall tower) if you plan on expanding it later.
Having lots of memory helps a lot even though the video card is on the cheapo side.

You can also buy a good video card and a lower processor that you can replace later.

With my current laptop, I have 2.4 GHZ, 8GB of ram, but horrible Intel Graphics Accelerated HD Graphics Card! It is integrated onto my processor. -_-

I can't run Minecraft on high settings without experiencing lag. Even on low settings, I can't use Skype along with it. -_-

That's horrible. I can't do anything. -.-

It's really fun to build your own computer!

I KNOW I CAN'T WAIT!

Someone find me a reasonably priced laptop (less than or equal to $1,000) with decent gaming capabilities. In other words, it can smoothly run most modern games on medium graphic settings. 15.6" screen preferred. Will rep.

Will rep? Hehe...

Samsung Gamer Series Seven is pretty pricey, but not moderate.

I'll tell you a couple of brands and model lines and then you can do the research from there to your approval.

ASUS G series/Republic of Gamers

Alienware M14x, M17x, M18x, all the other M1~x's are discontinued. R4 is the newest model. As in M14x R4/M17x R4/M18x R4.

Dell Inspiron...not exactly gaming, but might get the job done.

MSI...Pretty general, but pretty good.

Compaq...custom built.

Ask me if you need more choices?
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Well, I'm not really looking for a gaming-specific laptop. I've found a laptop that I think looks pretty good...anyone up for evaluating its specs?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215615&name=Laptops-Notebooks

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Well, I'm not really looking for a gaming-specific laptop.

Okay let me stop you here...

I've found a laptop that I think looks pretty good...anyone up for evaluating its specs?

The first major problem I see is, you guessed it, Windows 8! First thing I would say is to revert back to Windows XP, egad even 7 and Vista!

You said not gamer specific...this is a gaming laptop.
Sort of speaking. It has most of the parts needed for it. The only problem with it, is that the keyboard looks tightly packed and uncomfortable to use.

Anyways lets get on with the show!

Processor is not exactly best, but really good. Intel i7 7k series are out.
The hard drive is 5,400RPM...I have seen 7,200RPM with 500 GB and higher! Meaning it takes a little more of your time transferring files/whatever you plan to do with your HDD.
Graphics card is good.
The WLAN...isn't exactly the best. 2nd best if compared to something in 811 standards.
The battery is 6 cell. 9 cell is out.

This laptop is a gaming laptop. For the price of $849+...I wouldn't pay for it. About the price for a moderately nice Alienware.

I compared all of this information to which I have to personal, non-mobile computers. As in a PC.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

This laptop is a gaming laptop. For the price of $849+...I wouldn't pay for it. About the price for a moderately nice Alienware.

Where is this Alienware laptop that's of the same price? I looked at their website, but the lowest priced one was $999 (which is just barely alright for my budget, but it was a 14.0" screen).

The first major problem I see is, you guessed it, Windows 8! First thing I would say is to revert back to Windows XP, egad even 7 and Vista!

Eh...I'm not going back to XP. Never heard anything good about Vista. My current laptop has Windows 7...solid experience with it but nothing more. Obviously, I'm going to wait for Windows 8 reviews to come out before considering a Windows 8 laptop, but since I'm not too knowledgeable about this matter, can you explain why you'd pick the other three OS over 8?

Processor is not exactly best, but really good. Intel i7 7k series are out.
The hard drive is 5,400RPM...I have seen 7,200RPM with 500 GB and higher! Meaning it takes a little more of your time transferring files/whatever you plan to do with your HDD.
Graphics card is good.
The WLAN...isn't exactly the best. 2nd best if compared to something in 811 standards.
The battery is 6 cell. 9 cell is out.

A lot of what you're saying here is that certain features aren't the best, which I already knew. But will they effectively get the job done for what I want (i.e. word processing, internet browsing, light video editing, torrenting, and gaming on medium settings)? And do you know of any better laptops (specific models) around the $750 to $1,000 range that would better suit my needs? Or a website that can help me find such a laptop.
Showing 1-9 of 9