ForumsWEPRSand Sandy, why you so angry?

17 9195
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

As you all know hurricane sandy is rocking USA from Florida to New England
with wind speed 110 mph and has paralyzed ordinary life in many states.
What are your thoughts about it?

• 17 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

wind speed 110 mph

we got that a few days about every autumn. and what a heard of a friend in NY. it was actually like that, just a heavy storm.
but then i really wonder why so much broke down. here it only trows over a few trees and roof tiles. at worst a car or 2. not complete buildings and such. =S
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

The problem was not the wind. The problem was the water; there was a flood of 4 meters on that part in NY that lies between the two river arms; the metro, as far as I know over a hundred years old, was flooded; the water and wind, paradoxically, lead to locally massive short-circuits that started fires that burnt down whole areas.

At least that's what I've heard in the news, accompanied by some impressive pictures.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

but then i really wonder why so much broke down. here it only trows over a few trees and roof tiles. at worst a car or 2. not complete buildings and such. =S

The main problem was flooding, and that a lot of the wires that gave power weren't underground. Because of this, when some trees fell they took down the wires too and people lost power. Some places where completely unaffected. Unfortunately, others were damaged pretty bad and the subway was flooded. They're trying to substitute the trains with buses, but its really difficult.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

So yeah, apparently in 1996 or somewhere in the decade, New York ran this mock hurricane scenario to help better prepare the citizens in case one really did hit them later. They decided to name the mock hurricane after the lady running the scenario Sandy.

AND THEN they were affected by Hurricane Sandy in 2012. THEN they were affected. There's coincidences everywhere, you just gotta find them.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

The problem was not the wind. The problem was the water; there was a flood of 4 meters on that part in NY that lies between the two river arms

a 4 meter high flood does not break down entire walls.
also havn't i seen a pics or video showing this.
maybe you got a scource? i can't decide from just guessing.

locally massive short-circuits that started fires that burnt down whole areas.

ive seen the videos of a high-volt building exploding.
such things happend in more places then just that 1?

and that a lot of the wires that gave power weren't underground. Because of this, when some trees fell they took down the wires too and people lost power.

so the coastal city's are finally getting underground cabeling?
or will the same happen next time?
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

btw, anyone knows if there were any deaths?

i mean, a 4 meter high flood usualy kills some people but i havn't heard of any.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

btw, anyone knows if there were any deaths?

Over seventy people have lost their lives to Sandy. Do try to study a storm before saying it isn't powerful.
Also, 110MPH is enough to rip all sails clean off a mast, a similar fate met the Bounty, a tall ship that was trapped and sunk near Sandy's eye, claiming two lives.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Do try to study a storm before saying it isn't powerful.

never said that.
110MPH is enough to rip all sails clean off a mast,

sailing whit those winds is just stupid to begin whit.
sorry, but those people should have known that.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

sailing whit those winds is just stupid to begin whit.
sorry, but those people should have known that.

A: At sea, storms can easily come from nowhere
B: Tall ships are incapable of harnessing any great speed without good winds, not to mention the Bounty was sailing near America's east coast, when her port of call was back in England.
Also, you seem to have neglected the fact that you completely ignored the deaths of Sandy. Why is this? I was in Ireland for the time, and I heard about it.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

A: At sea, storms can easily come from nowhere

at OPEN sea you close your sails when it starts to storm.
closer the the coast storms do not come from nowhere.
we saw sandy coming for a week. they had all the time to get off sea.

B: Tall ships are incapable of harnessing any great speed without good winds,

a storm is not good winds. as you said yourself it rips open the sails.

not to mention the Bounty was sailing near America's east coast, when her port of call was back in England.

they knew sandy was coming. they toke the risk to set sail and try to get away from it befor it hitted. their own choise that is not recomended by the books. when a storm is incoming you do net set sail. you get that in the 1st year of sea school. (ive done the school when i was young. i know what i talk about here)

Also, you seem to have neglected the fact that you completely ignored the deaths of Sandy. Why is this?

well i'm not following all the news all the time. i'm traveling allot for my work and this has slipped past me. i only spoke whit a friend of my in NY and he sended me some video's he made. beside that i havn't seen anything of it. only some little things.
it was a genuine question and nothing in that post points at me ignoring it.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

The Bounty was sunk by a huge wave, furling sails would have done nothing except stop them. Not to mention, as a tall ship the Bounty carries at least nine sails al together, not counting any spritsails. She had a crew of 16, two of which would be needed at all times on deck. So, you have fourteen people to reef nine huge sails, highly time-consuming.
But, as I said, she was sunk by a huge wave that engulfed her.

a storm is not good winds. as you said yourself it rips open the sails.

I did not say that the storm was a source of good winds, I said such ships run fast in good winds.

How about I show you what happened to the beautiful Bounty?
https://static.culturemap.com/site_media/uploads/photos/2012-10-31/HMS_Bounty_sinks_ship_October_2012.800w_600h.jpg

Pointing out the fact that you said that the news "slipped past" you, why did you not bother to look up the hurricane? The wonder of the internet could put twenty videos regarding the storm at your fingertips. Just a question, of course.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

But, as I said, she was sunk by a huge wave that engulfed her.

now that is different from pushed over by the wind. it turns around the case 180 degree.
what probably has happend is that they were unable to keep the ship against the waves. meaning the ship is parallel whit the wave. it's 1 of the most dangerous situations whit a high risk to capsize. this can happen. no one is to be blamed really.

why did you not bother to look up the hurricane? The wonder of the internet could put twenty videos regarding the storm at your fingertips. Just a question, of course.

ive done so now. but not back then when i wrote it.
tbh, after what i heard of my friend. i wasn't really interested about it.
as he putted it "just a heavy storm"
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Ahh, no wonder. No harm then!

Anyway, on topic, anyone think this is do to Climate Change? I bet the Republicans are blaming the Devil or the like, but I wanna see what you smart people think.
Jerrbear65
Jerrbear65
173 posts
Nomad

I saw a picture that Hurricane sandy lifted a car rear end onto a mail box...

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Reminds me of the movie "The perfecr storm"
espacially the scenes where they struggle to keep their boat perpendicular to the waves.
Showing 1-15 of 17