ForumsThe TavernA proposal

18 4503
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Hello AG.

Some of you may know me. Most of you probably don't. Others probably saw me posting around here.
I've been considering proposing to my girlfriend, soon.

Now, I have a single problem. No bloody idea how.

I was thinking something along the lines of a romantic dinner, but she'll suspect something because I never do romantic dinners. Then, I've thought about just straight out proposing, but that would be plain boring to tell people.

So, could anyone offer any ideas for me? I'm a horrible romantic and I'm horrible with gifts/surprises/etc. so I really need any help I can get

• 18 Replies
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

General Relationship Thread

I think that you should do what is most comfortable for the both of you. If you guys dont do dinners, then well dont do dinners. Something somewhat normal I guess. I honestly dont have much else, I havent gotten to the age were I need to consider this.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Normal? Pah! Normal means you constrict yourself! I think you should A: Take her somewhere she loves B: Go to a pier or such like and propose after a talk and a stare out to sea or C: Go on a cruise, perhaps on a tall ship, and get the whole crew to host the wedding on board, seeing as Captains, while on board their ships, have full ability to marry a couple.
Of course, option C only works if you're 90 percent sure she'll say yes. The other ten percent is for throwing her overboard upon the unlucky answer.

Or maybe just propose on a romantic walk, of which, if you're smart, you should be doing regularly.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I was thinking something along the lines of a romantic dinner, but she'll suspect something because I never do romantic dinners.

Maybe you could start taking her to romantic dinners once a week, then here in a month or so, you could pop the question! It would surprise her in that case, since she wont be expecting anything out of the norm.

Then again, you could watch some of those proposal videos on YouTube and get some ideas on a truly fantastic proposal that you both will remember. (Not to make you more nervous then you already are.)
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

I was thinking something along the lines of a romantic dinner, but she'll suspect something because I never do romantic dinners. Then, I've thought about just straight out proposing, but that would be plain boring to tell people.

If you don't want her to suspect because you're doing something out of the ordinary, what do you two do normally? Are scenic locations ever involved?
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
889 posts
Nomad

Go somewhere that she likes.
Also; is your anniversary coming up soon; if so that's always a good day to do it seeing as romantic gestures wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

you should take her to the most romantic thing you can think of and not purpose. then purpose like 5 minutes before you go to sleep (or if thats kind of too lame take her to a nice little breakfast in a caffe and THEN purpose.)

i can be a nice surprise but she MIGHT find it annoying. you know her better so you will be the judge of this idea
Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

Does she eat cereal in the morning? Hide an engagement ring in the cereal box. It can be the special surprise inside.

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

Say : "Go make me a sammich in teh Kitchen", and hide the ring in the bread.

But for real, tell her that you need help, buying clothes... good ones. And when you go to the store , while changing them, make the guy who sells say :"I think you should try this next" and to show the box with the ring to the girl. Then you propose.

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

Nooo, it would work better if you buy her clothes, not the opposite.

XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

Propose to her while climbing to the top of a roller coaster... It was the first thing that came to my head, probably not the best idea haha. Good luck!

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Well, I came to a conclusion, thanks to Masterforger's post (somehow)

It's her birthday in a month. She always wanted to go skydiving, and I thought of doing the skydiving, and then popping the question right when we land. I'm fairly sure she'll say yes, she's been talking about children recently. I guess it's a sign?

If skydiving proves too expensive, which it most probably will be, I've not a single idea of something equally exciting to do.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

It's her birthday in a month. She always wanted to go skydiving, and I thought of doing the skydiving, and then popping the question right when we land. I'm fairly sure she'll say yes, she's been talking about children recently. I guess it's a sign

How you got skydiving out of sailing, I do not know, but it works! Good luck, make sure not to go with the cheapest company, you might die before you get the lucky chance.
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
889 posts
Nomad

She always wanted to go skydiving

You could get a specially made parachute that says 'Will you marry me?' on it, so then she'll see it while you're in the air.
And you can do it formally when you land.

Best of luck! =]
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

If skydiving proves too expensive, which it most probably will be, I've not a single idea of something equally exciting to do.

You don't necessarily have to take her skydiving on her birthday... Maybe tell you plan on taking her in a another month or so after her birthday if you can't collect the money required... Maybe you could pick up as many hours as possible at work over the next month (maybe some overtime), so you can make as much money as possible within the next month.

If that wont work, maybe you could look into a hot air balloon ride? I'm not too sure of the cost difference, but it could be cheaper... It would be just as exciting though.
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
889 posts
Nomad

If skydiving proves too expensive,

Sorry, I didn't at all see that in the post..
But; what is your expected price range?
If we know that, it may be easier to think of something to do.
Showing 1-15 of 18