ForumsThe TavernWhat is Real?

30 4912
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

What is really real and how do we know it?

This question has been bugging me for a while. So I figured I might as well ask.

• 30 Replies
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
991 posts
Nomad

The thought of it is real.

A thought can't be fake, so there's no point in saying that it's real. On the topic of thoughts and imagination, have you ever wondered where they come from? Where is our actual mind? How can you hear this without actually "hearing" it? All interesting questions branching off the main topic.
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

.The square root of -1 isn't real, but not by the same definition.

That is wrong. The square root of -1 one is the number "i".

If what you're saying is true, a better question would be "what isn't real?".

Good question.

Where is our actual mind?.

That is an intresting idea. I have never thought of it that way.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

What is real? What isn't?
Just a perception.
You don't know.
How do you know Obama got re-elected?

You probably saw it on the telly. Or logged on to twitter.
Somebody told you.
This is knowledge?
This is a rumor.
This is your brain's interpretation of words on the screen, seen by your eyes.

All you know is that you think you saw it, think you heard it.

Are the words even there?
Are you hallucinating?

It's also rumored that you aren't the only person on earth. There are **** tons of people.

Are you sure?

We're all robots. Except for you.

This could be a dream. A fantasy.

Would you dream about this post?
How do you know?

You could be a part of an intellectual experiment.
Actually, you are the experiment.

They created you to believe in delusions and sensations.

And you thought you were special.

You might be.

But probably not.

. . .

Am I real?
Really real?
No, like REAL.
For real.

Real talk.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

That is wrong. The square root of -1 one is the number "i".

The integer i is a real construct, but is defined by theoretical math purposes as an imaginary number; It is not something that can be extracted.
Jerrbear65
Jerrbear65
173 posts
Nomad

everythings real... the air you drink, food you swallow and games you play. what else would it be? Fake?

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Real is merely electrical signals interpreted by your brain.

No but really, I think it really depends on what you define as real. For me I think what I see, feel, hear, etc. is real. Though maybe a sci-fi movie may not be a real ''story'' it's still in your reality meaning the actual motion picture is real.

Such things as dreams are real because you are processing them in your head, you sometimes dwell on them too. This makes them real. Now they don't make them real experiences in your actual personal life, but theoretically they are real. I wouldn't really know how to explain it but whatever.

I mean what if you, yourself, were real but everything around you and everyone you see are projected in your own brain, you really couldn't be sure because their ''minds'' are not yours if you can get where I'm going with this.

In reality you will never really know what is real or not... Or maybe you do. Who knows...

In the end I try not to think about it, even though it is an interesting... Subject?

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I isn't a number. It's technically a variable. Otherwise, what Frank said. It's imaginary and therefore can't be extracted as a value.

No, it's a number. It can't be a variable because it is only one value. It is not, however, an integer, because integers must be real numbers.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Fascinating... It's really fascinating... A discussion about reality goes goes to higher math in less then five pages... Fascinating.

Is that discussion real?

fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

Let's all forget about the square root of -1 and go back to the original topic.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

I think we can all agree that if you can taste it, it is indeed real.

No, as your taste buds could easily be fooled. Basically any information we receive could be produced by something other; just watch the Matrix movies.
Kastik
Kastik
6 posts
Nomad

I think we can all agree that if you can taste it, it is indeed real.

You can lose your taste buds down to stage where you've got no taste for anything and everything tastes the same.
Does that mean 'different tastes' aren't real?
handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

We could be living in 'The Matrix'. All of our sensual experiences could be being provided by wires into our brains, and our bodies bagged up to provide nutrition for a machine.

Scary.

Showing 16-27 of 30