ForumsThe TavernDoes age matter in relationships?

40 6403
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

We've all heard this story about the 72 year old who married an 18 year old girl. That's obviously the extreme side to the scale but what do you think about someone who was 13 years old and another that was 16? Would you say the same thing for someone who is 23 years old and 26? I personally think that in high school at least (I'm 14 so this is really all that I have experienced) that I'd say anywhere between 0-2 1/2 years is alright. Do you think differently? Is it possible that if the connection was strong enough age wouldn't matter? Please tell.

• 40 Replies
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I don't think age really matters at all unless its like you said 72 marrying 18, but the 13 and 16 thing that I see as not a problem to me at all

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

Well, if too people really like each other than no, age really doesn't matter. It will only matter to the people who want to make fun of you for going out with a younger/older person. 13 and 16 is a little too far off for me because a 13 year old would be in 8th grade, and a 16 year old would be a junior in high school. A freshman going out with a junior or even sophomore would be a little awkward. If you really like someone, who cares what other people think do what makes you happy.

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

To be completely honest, I think it just depends on the situation.

Obviously a 16 year old shouldn't be dating an 8 year old. Lol. In more realistic terms, like you said 16 and 13, that's fine.. Depending on the situation. And on other terms kind of related to the OP subject, I think older women is fine for men, I mean I'm 18 and I date women who are 2 or 3 years above my age. So see it depends on the situation.

I know I didn't really explain myself, but it's pretty much self-explanatory.

VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

That's obviously the extreme side to the scale but what do you think about someone who was 13 years old and another that was 16?

A 13 year old and a 16 year old is a little inappropriate, 16 year old is a senior in highschool (11th grade) and a 13 year old is in 8th grade. That isn't really right I think.

Other than that 2-3 years isn't a big difference as long as both the people are at least 18 in my opinion, otherwise it seems wrong if it's an 18 year old going out with a 15 year old, but a 21 year old going out with an 18 year old, not so bad.
PurpleSquishy
PurpleSquishy
150 posts
Shepherd

Age only matters when you have adult chasing child. Later in life it stretches because of lack of options.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Age only matters when you have adult chasing child.

Well, I suppose that poses another question... what if it's the child who is chasing the adult? Not a child as in someone in elementary school, but maybe someone who is 13 or 14 chasing someone who is old enough to be one of their parents.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

The fact that age plays such a role is because of the sex appeal being (percoeved) such an "important" aspect in a relationship. A 100 years ago, marrying at 19 your first cousin who was 15 wasn't odd; it was socially acceptible. But because sex has become more acceptable to talk about and participate in, it plays a greater role in how we see things.

Plus theres that whole date **** issue. You know, getting labeled as a sex offender and serving a nice sting in prison.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Depends on your personality. If a man likes the idea of protecting his wife and children and being the man of the house, it's more typical for him to want to be the eldest. But others, who may have the same ideals as aforementioned man or different just don't care about age as long as it isn't the ridiculous 30 year and above span.
Of course, in the Middle Ages and around that time the father often chose his son's marriage, and although it was preferable to be married to a girl who was younger, Shakespeare married a woman some years his senior.
It all depends on your approach to life.

zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

Personally, I couldn't think of dating a girl that's 3 years older/younger than me.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

16 year old is a senior in highschool (11th grade)

Actually...16 is Sophomore/Junior in highschool

Shakespeare married a woman some years his senior.

After they had a fling...and the two were very much looked down upon for the marriage

As for the OP...I agree with that it depends on situation.
A 35 year old man being with a 25 year old female is fine..but a 15 year old boy being with a 5 year old is not (get what I did there? Matched the age difference =p)
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

A 13 year old and a 16 year old is a little inappropriate, 16 year old is a senior in highschool (11th grade) and a 13 year old is in 8th grade. That isn't really right I think.

A 13 year old can be a 7th grader too. Me and some of my friends are in 7th grade and we're 13... Otherwise I agree with you that isn't right.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Age differences become less relevant as you grow older simply because the level of maturity evens out to a point. As a teenager I couldn't have dated someone three years younger, there are too many differences between someone who is 16 and someone who is 13 or 14. Admittedly it happens, but it's still a little strange. On the other hand, some one who is 26 isn't going to be all that different from someone who is 29 or even 30.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Depends on the circumstances... If its a year or two no matter. But if it's over like 6-7 years we have a problem... ;P

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Age differences become less relevant as you grow older simply because the level of maturity evens out to a point. As a teenager I couldn't have dated someone three years younger, there are too many differences between someone who is 16 and someone who is 13 or 14. Admittedly it happens, but it's still a little strange. On the other hand, some one who is 26 isn't going to be all that different from someone who is 29 or even 30.

^this. In young ages, like pre-teens and teens, the expectations and wants are just too different / change too fast for a stable relationship. With age this gets less of a problem, and I think past 20 or something the actual difference doens't play such a huge role anymore. Let's not forget that even until one or two generations ago it was, and still is, quite normal for the husband to be 10-20 years older than his wife. It also really depends on the maturity, which is not directly dependent of the age; some people are generally just more mature than others.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

We've all heard this story about the 72 year old who married an 18 year old girl

Say what?! Who the heck is this?! O.O That is kinda creepy....

It actually depends on the type of relationship you have. Lets say there is a 14 year old dating a 25 year old, if it is a Physical relationship yea you have a issue, if it is just a relationship of interest then I guess it could be ok.... in a way. I personally would find it awkward cause dating someone with a huge age difference can be a bit odd, but if someone loves another then everything else might not matter, including age.
Showing 1-15 of 40