ForumsThe TavernSwearing/Cursing Unnecessary or expressive?

84 20604
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Slow past couple of days. No Sal, pang, Ernie and GOH. I guess I'll make a topic to try and spark some conversation. It probably won't work.

As you probably have found out AG does not allow you to swear and it blocks out the words in replace with asterisks. Although this might be what AG is trying to do you can bypass this very easily.

Anyway, what is your opinion? Do you think AG and grow up? Most 12 year olds see more swearing at school than they would if swearing was unblocked on a forum, is there really a point? On the other hand though swearing is just unnecessary and it might be best to get away from it as much as possible.

I personally think swearing is unnecessary but I believe it shouldn't be blocked.

• 84 Replies
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

No Sal, pang, Ernie and GOH.

What is this?
Am I not important or something? Lol? I have been inactive because I got addicted to a new game and school work piles after a while.

Anyways, swearing seriously doesn't make you look cool. I used to notice all of my friends swore and whatnot. So I swore once and they were pretty surprised. So, seriously, in the heat of the moment swearing seems cool. The Kool Katz only swear. Not really true. Just don't swear, but I mean at some times, if you need to get your point across and calling someone a boogerhead doesn't work, then use caps lock with cruise control.

Swearing on AG is a different thing. Don't swear, kids can see. Blah, blah....If you need to, let the censors work.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

What is this?
Am I not important or something? Lol?

Hmmm... I could say you are but i've never seen you before xDD

but I mean at some times, if you need to get your point across and calling someone a boogerhead doesn't work, then use caps lock with cruise control.

Exactly... ^^
JoshTheBoss
JoshTheBoss
417 posts
Nomad

It depends because some people have taste, but others are ****ing retards.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

What about N***** which is the offencive term for black?

Forgot about that one...this one is one of the few that is actually meant to be vulgar. So chalk the count up to 2

From the earliest usage it was "the term that carries with it all the obloquy and contempt and rejection which whites have inflicted on blacks"
Source
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

In my personal opinion swearing shows your intelligence...

Most of my college professors swore like sailors (and ever more than sailors ever swore).
Depends how/where a person grows up. In Pansy countries, swearing is something to be frowned upon, while in countries I've lived in, swearing is just another addition to words. In Serbian, I can swear at least 4 times in one sentence, and not a single person will take offense. No one degrades you for just saying "bad" words.

When I visited the UK, I was amazed at how people looked at me whenever I used the word '****', and I use '****' a lot. Everyone took that one word personally for whatever reason, and treated me as if I crucified their entire family, and forced them to watch it.

Now, if someone were to swear whenever they liked, that would be ridiculous. But if I'm on the streets of London, or in a cafe in Amsterdam, I won't hold back from swearing just cause it's "not nice".

I was brought up to believe swearing is nothing serious. In truth, it really isn't. Every language in the world has swear words. If it were so bad to use them, then why are they there?
hokzwijn
hokzwijn
512 posts
Peasant

I think swearing is necesarry in the form of expression when you are in pain or when something annoys you very much. You should not use swear words against other people.

But swearing is natural and it is wrong to stop people from doing it. So I do think swearing is necessary, because it is a part of human culture. For example, the first things you usually learn in a language (after "hello" and such) are the swear words.

Please people do not refrain from swearing. Yet, keep it polite and out of the forum. Because a forum is for discussion and fun talk and not for wear words.

yourawesomeness
yourawesomeness
103 posts
Peasant

i believe swearing is okay, but people still should try to avoid. there are also some cases where it is justified and it is ok. it just shouldnt be in every sentance.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

swearing is expression. pure expression. i like the freedom of being able to, even though AG doesnt allow it. there is no reason to, but there is no reason not to. so why not.

--spike machines back--

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I think swearing is necesarry in the form of expression when you are in pain or when something annoys you very much.

Do you necessarily have to swear when you are in pain or when something annoys you? Why not use a clean expression?

For example: *Hits finger with hammer* OW!

I'm 16 and have avoided using any swear words. Unlike most people, I don't think it's "a necessary form of expression". There are clean words to be used... Words that don't have a negative meaning.

I always just say "Good Grief!", "Oh no...", and "You have got to be kidding me!" They work great as expressions, and they aren't considered as dirty.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Do you necessarily have to swear when you are in pain or when something annoys you? Why not use a clean expression?

You're right in questioning its necessity, but it's not necessary to say anything at all. Swearing just happens to be instinctual for some when they experience an acute pain.

There are clean words to be used... Words that don't have a negative meaning.

So-called "clean words" can carry negative connotations as well. There really isn't much of a difference between dirty and clean words other than the fact that society has deemed dirty words vulgar enough to be censored. But you could easily convey the same undertones with clean words as well.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

I'm 16 and have avoided using any swear words. Unlike most people, I don't think it's "a necessary form of expression". There are clean words to be used... Words that don't have a negative meaning.

I always just say "Good Grief!", "Oh no...", and "You have got to be kidding me!" They work great as expressions, and they aren't considered as dirt

Swearing first came to be when the Christian religion came up with the ten commandments. One of them being " thou shall not curse( something like that) Really, the world is a christian world.The world celebrates Christmas, Easter, and a few others, but people have grown so used to them that they can't realize that they are being in a part of that religion. Where those words are considered "bad" or "negative" Killersup doesn't believe that those words are really considered "bad" or such. They are just synonyms to other words.It really all depends where Killersup is that determines which words he uses....
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

So-called "clean words" can carry negative connotations as well.

Can you elaborate a little on that? (Can you provide examples?)
horrifichazza2000
horrifichazza2000
4 posts
Nomad

Let me begin...

What is language? A group of sounds joined together to make people understand and learn. To help people enjoy life and live it to the so called 'max' so why do why do we use it explictly. Which brings me nicely on to...

What is swearing/cursing? In some cases the most unholy thing that can be comprised from a humans mouth but should you take offensive it is a sound at the same time if i put it in the context would you be offended by a sound a lot more people would say no. Although it is exactly the same thing however how did this vocabulary classed as slang originate at a guess i would say somebody needed a word to call the local village idiot. However thing of swearing in particular has a lot of strange distinct sounds. So these might have been comprised by someone experimenting on new sounds not used in languages so far. Hmmm I've confused myself......

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Scientists have shown that swearing while under great durress can help an individual cope with said situation.

Like anything, theres a time and a place for it. I think its allright if you say one every once in awhile, but its all situational really. But I ussually view people less favorably is they sling them out willy nilly just because they know them.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Can you elaborate a little on that? (Can you provide examples?)

Let me jump in instead? Maybe words that have a double meaning?
Cracker. (Meant actually a cracker like the one they provide with soup)
B word. (Meant female dog)
A word. (Meant donkey)
Nazi. (Meant Germany's soldiers under Hitler. Now truly inappropriate)
Dam as in Hoover's Dam. (Add an "n" and a whole different meaning)
Q word for homosexuals. (Actually meant strange/weird)
G word to call homosexuals. (Actually meant happy)
And really other words. These words actually were meant to mean something really clean until well stuff happened.
Showing 31-45 of 84