ForumsThe TavernSwearing/Cursing Unnecessary or expressive?

84 20583
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Slow past couple of days. No Sal, pang, Ernie and GOH. I guess I'll make a topic to try and spark some conversation. It probably won't work.

As you probably have found out AG does not allow you to swear and it blocks out the words in replace with asterisks. Although this might be what AG is trying to do you can bypass this very easily.

Anyway, what is your opinion? Do you think AG and grow up? Most 12 year olds see more swearing at school than they would if swearing was unblocked on a forum, is there really a point? On the other hand though swearing is just unnecessary and it might be best to get away from it as much as possible.

I personally think swearing is unnecessary but I believe it shouldn't be blocked.

• 84 Replies
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Most of the time, comebacks are a bad choice. People can't catch them, it's not fast enough, seems too nerdy, too detached, no emotion. Scratch that, cursing is still better at getting your point across.

I prefer a decent mix of the two.
Yeah, thats from page 3. Im like that, what of it?

Maybe you should care what other people think. You know you doesn't care about what other people think? Honey Boo Boo and Crew, Octomom, and the likes of Lindsay Lohan. Do I need to continue the list?

Do you know who cares what other people think? Social outcasts, snotty &quotopular" kids. Do I need to continue the list? Its best not to care what they think, they usually are wrong anyways.

Or, if you really feel compelled to swear so much, I can only assume your parents failed you in how to act like a functioning member of society.

If you are so against it, I can only assume your parents are over-protective and treat you like a child.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

A bit to add.

"***** rapz" in gold embroidery. He acted professionally and utilized respect.

You think we do that? Its rather obvious that you should act profesional when you are in business and/or school. This gives you a better chance at the job. What me and pang are talking about is simply cursing with our friends. I do that. I dont call people names. I do things more like humor or, "hurry the **** up". Its part of growing up in `Merica now a-days.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

You think we do that? Its rather obvious that you should act profesional when you are in business and/or school. This gives you a better chance at the job. What me and pang are talking about is simply cursing with our friends. I do that. I dont call people names. I do things more like humor or, "hurry the **** up". Its part of growing up in `Merica now a-days.

I guess swearing isn't that bad in moderation, because it is to put emphasis on something, like "Get the **** over here!" or the like, but having half a sentence made of swears is ridiculous.

Swearing in the professional side of things does not work, though, and I like replacing swears with big words, like imbecilic, moronic, or use the word "bloody".
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

I guess swearing isn't that bad in moderation, because it is to put emphasis on something, like "Get the **** over here!" or the like, but having half a sentence made of swears is ridiculous.

I completely agree, my old french teacher once said "All those people who swear a lot prove is that they don't have a vocabulary."

If used once in a while, it's completely fine and understandable. Swearing in frustration or pain are good examples of this. Using swear words as an adjective as common as "Good" or "Big" and the effect is wasted. In my opinion, swearing constantly makes you look stupid in my eyes.

If you are so against it, I can only assume your parents are over-protective and treat you like a child.

Child before swearing, or after? I have to say, children nowadays swear way too often, and anything over once is really two often. When a seven-year-old tells me to "**** off" I think much less of society.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

When used under the pretense of expressionism its an excuse to behave poorly. Obviously, its expressing anger. But when coupled with such an elitist term of expressionism its grabbing at straws for a validity.

Anger isn't the only way you can use it as expression...there is stress, annoyance, joy, melancholy, excitement, etc

The OP (original poster) is asking whether its expressionism or unnecessary; and I'm siding quite strong that its unnecessary

Swearing can be very helpful with expressions...if someone is annoyed and says "leave me alone I'm annoyed"..I get he is annoyed but there isn't much to it. I'll probably still pester him...but add in a swear: "Leave me alone I'm ****ing annoyed"..now I get a feeling of a bit more animosity in the sentence and that I should probably let him be for some time

You described figures that changed the world. Not people who "donna care 'bout wat peeps think; i do whatever, i do what i want."

No..I described figures that didn't care what others thought. Had they cared so much..they very much most likely would not at all had made the impacts that they did.

*I won't get into his dark side because it's not the point.

All I see when I read this is "I won't get into his dark side because it takes away from my point" (your POV, not mine)

I support AG and their blacklist of words and phrases.

So you are perfectly fine with how Hell doesn't get censored, even when used as a swear/curse word...but r@pe does?
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

...I can only assume your parents failed you in how to act like a functioning member of society.

Please, let's not resort to Ad Hominem. We're both grown-ups (I suppose), so there's no need for it. Also, don't label just about anyone that swears as "useless" and "failures". I've grown up in a society where communism has all of a sudden changed to the complete opposite, the country ripped itself into 5 pieces and now it's a living hell hole where murder is pretty much an everyday occurrence. So, swearing really isn't that big of a deal

You described figures that changed the world. Not people who "donna care 'bout wat peeps think; i do whatever, i do what i want."

What, just because they brought change to the world makes it okay to ignore the fact that they also don't care what others thought of them?
And if you re-read what I said, I did not say I don't care in the slightest about everything I do. I told the person I replied to that I do not care whether he thinks me immature/stupid/etc just because I swear. In an earlier post I addressed the issue that in certain situations, of course swearing should be limited (e.g job interviews, formal situations).
greentrev106
greentrev106
181 posts
Shepherd

I think it makes people sound immature, especially when they swear constantly, it drives me insane.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

(e.g job interviews, formal situations).

My friend swore in such an interview when his phone rang and dropped.

Needless to say, **** was real that day.
SaifurRahman
SaifurRahman
70 posts
Blacksmith

I would say cursing is a way to express anger(as I use to curse alot), but it is not necessary.

Hintkin
Hintkin
21 posts
Nomad

I don't think swearing/cursing is necessary. It could be a way of expression but it doesn't mean you need to say those words when you're angry or anything.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I don't think swearing/cursing is necessary. It could be a way of expression but it doesn't mean you need to say those words when you're angry or anything.

Psst...read through the thread..we've already had a good debate bout this all =p
Hintkin
Hintkin
21 posts
Nomad

Psst...read through the thread..we've already had a good debate bout this all =p

Okay...
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

aww pang only you would know or care about that...

swearing is rather epressive because those words are strong.

there is nothing wrong with swearing. if you dissagree visit my wall.
kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

(e.g job interviews, formal situations).

For obvious reasons, I don't swear in kind of situations, but I remember a job interview when the interviewer started to curse. Not at me, but at somebody else on the phone. Needless to say, it was quite akward...

Well, it shouldn't be because languages have enough words to allow us to express things in many ways. Having said that, sometimes I find it hard not to curse, especially if my physical integrity is in danger due to other people's stupidity (not the word I have in mind, but I can't find the right word in English, sorry).
Example: I work in a lab. The other day somebody left a couple of test tubes filled with an acid in an inappropiate place and I almost burned myself. I could've been seriously injured! Obviously, I cursed and yelled at her for some time...
Xavierthe9
Xavierthe9
155 posts
Farmer

Swearing: used in moderation. not something to be used if its unnecessary.

Showing 61-75 of 84