ForumsThe TavernSwearing/Cursing Unnecessary or expressive?

84 20621
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Slow past couple of days. No Sal, pang, Ernie and GOH. I guess I'll make a topic to try and spark some conversation. It probably won't work.

As you probably have found out AG does not allow you to swear and it blocks out the words in replace with asterisks. Although this might be what AG is trying to do you can bypass this very easily.

Anyway, what is your opinion? Do you think AG and grow up? Most 12 year olds see more swearing at school than they would if swearing was unblocked on a forum, is there really a point? On the other hand though swearing is just unnecessary and it might be best to get away from it as much as possible.

I personally think swearing is unnecessary but I believe it shouldn't be blocked.

• 84 Replies
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Yes... The "help" sent out by users has decreased with the absense of Sal, GOH, and Ernie...

Also, pang has been here lol...

Balloon__Girl
Balloon__Girl
213 posts
Shepherd

For example...stubbing your toe

Haha I am not sure why this is the example everybody uses when trying to explain this to me. I don't find I need to hold that particular word in simply because it is not a word I use so it is not one that comes to mind for me.

I sincerely doubt I will ever have the opportunity to hang around you in real life. Sorry pang, you may do as you like with your cursing, but I shall remain not a fan. :P
Jblaze101
Jblaze101
513 posts
Peasant

There are laws to govern the world around us without order means chaos plain and simple

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

I'm just kinda for people doing what they want. I don't like to hold views that look down on other people. So even for say I didn't swear, it wouldn't other me.

Jumpper
Jumpper
196 posts
Nomad

I think swearing is unnecessary. I think that swearing can be replaced by other words that mean something els. I also think that swear words are different to certain people. like one of my friends cusses but says that the F word is the worst of them all and will never say it.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Curses are words that hold a meaning, the same as every other word. Like every other word, they shouldn't be overused or relied upon. Excessive swearing is just as annoying as people who stammer "uh" or say "like" three hundred times when telling a story.

The only difference is that we have attached negative social connotations to these words and when used in context of their dictionary definition, are some of the most extreme ways of saying something.

They have their purpose, but, are probably overused by the majority of the population to the extent that they aren't as radical as they used to be. In time they'll probably become common place words and we'll get new words to replace the high-end insults.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I am saying more expressive (adding humor to it...expressing frustration..etc)

Very true. I do the same, mostly for humor. Ill drop the F-Bomb whenever the **** I feel.
I really dont like to insult people with them. Like, I dont go all out, "BEEP BEEEP BEEEEP BEEP" on guys. I prefer more original insults like, "your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory" and things along those lines. I sometimes call people, "monkey ****er". Not really sure how that started.
So yeah, its not that big of a deal.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

(I am guilty of that) Cuss words don't hold meaning. It's like a force of habit. It's just the words I use. If you knew me I am a definite cusser.

No, they definitely have a meaning.....

True, true. Have you worked on Comebacks though. Like if someone asks you a stupid question you should try "Cause I'm cool like that."

Most of the time, comebacks are a bad choice. People can't catch them, it's not fast enough, seems too nerdy, too detached, no emotion. Scratch that, cursing is still better at getting your point across.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

(I am guilty of that) Cuss words don't hold meaning.

@ss - Butt or donkey. Not really so bad now is it?

***** - Female dog. Once upon a time..calling a person a dog was a huge insult...similar to calling someone today a douc4e

D@mn - Probably the only true "curse" word...when using curse in the term of cursing someone like a witch would. Example of how it is properly used: "I d@mn you to hell"

F-bomb - Don't even try to say it stands for something with a king and all that crap. It come from the German word Fick...which means the sexual act we all use the f-bomb for.

Hell - Ok..come on..it is a &quotlace"

**** - Poop..crap..excrement

Piss - Well..this ones negative connotation seems to have died. Did you know this used to be a "curse word"?

Cun7 - Woman's genitalia. Two different definitions for its insulting use..."an unpleasant or stupid person" (well hey..that isn't so bad!) or a "usually disparaging and obscene: woman" (well well well..look at that..that isn't so "unintelligent"...just simplified)

**** - Male genitalia. This one is actually meant to be vulgar

I don't usually call people ****ers I call them Retards.

I wouldn't call some a retard...however if I'm really ticked off I will call them retarded. Why? With the word retard...the association is directly and instantaneously shot to a "special" person..when I call someone retarded I am using the definition of one who has been delayed/slowed
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,778 posts
Chamberlain

I don't curse, they may be expressive but I still don't approve. The closest thing to a cuss word that I say is crap. Nuff said.

pokemonrocks126
pokemonrocks126
665 posts
Nomad

nope sometimes i really want to mainly at school but if do my parents will find out somehow and they are very strict about that i cant even say crap you can say i need to break rules sometimes but i dont fancy my naked butt being paddeld with a birch branch while being filmed and then haveing to be in my closet for 2 days with no anything only beng able to come out for school and bathroom breaks yes they are that seirous about swearing

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

*old man voice*

Swearing and cursing is definitely useful. I remember when some little punk kid took my fake teeth. I gave him all he needed and he never said a word again...

"You TIDDLY TIDDLES TIDDLING TIDDLSNAPPER SAURUS GUM"

Yes, I taught him.

On a serious note though, in case anyone was wondering you can take this thread anyway you like. It depends what you have an opinion on really. It can be AG or real life. Take it how you will.

F-bomb

Yes, we all know this one. Surprisingly it isn't blocked on AG. Look, "Firetruck". That seriously needs to be fixed...

One I find really strange is "c***" (Male genitalia). Nowadays I have to call people male chickens. Unfortunately that doesn't really get the point across just as well...

"Get back here you ROOSTER SUCKER!! YOU'RE SUCH A FIRETRUCKING MALE CHICKEN!"
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

@ss - Butt or donkey. Not really so bad now is it?

***** - Female dog. Once upon a time..calling a person a dog was a huge insult...similar to calling someone today a douc4e

D@mn - Probably the only true "curse" word...when using curse in the term of cursing someone like a witch would. Example of how it is properly used: "I d@mn you to hell"

F-bomb - Don't even try to say it stands for something with a king and all that crap. It come from the German word Fick...which means the sexual act we all use the f-bomb for.

Hell - Ok..come on..it is a &quotlace"

**** - Poop..crap..excrement

Piss - Well..this ones negative connotation seems to have died. Did you know this used to be a "curse word"?

Cun7 - Woman's genitalia. Two different definitions for its insulting use..."an unpleasant or stupid person" (well hey..that isn't so bad!) or a "usually disparaging and obscene: woman" (well well well..look at that..that isn't so "unintelligent"...just simplified)

**** - Male genitalia. This one is actually meant to be vulgar

What about N***** which is the offencive term for black?

Jumpper
Jumpper
196 posts
Nomad

"I don't usually call people ****ers I call them Retards.

I can deal with that
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

"I don't usually call people ****ers I call them Retards.

lol... There's this one kid at my school he'll just come up to you and be like SUP ****3RS! xD
But piss really isn't a bad word anymore... It just means pee lol...
Showing 16-30 of 84