ForumsPopular MediaLES MISERABLES!!

24 11206
idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

So who has seen the play/movie/read the book?

I saw the movie the day after it came out. I am in the process of reading the Unabridged(1400 pages) AND the abridged(700 pages) together. I have watched two stage productions and have the soundtrack on my ipod.

Any other superfans out there?

In the movie i didnt like russell crowe as Javert. I did like Hugh Jackman though.

Anne hathaway should receive an oscar for that movie.

• 24 Replies
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I've never been a fan of musicals but I'm supposed to go see it on January 2nd with my GF. :/

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I'm not fond of musicals too, hence my love extends more to the book than anything.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

This movie?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPY30y4UTO-jfB2p-x4fILbGz0kSM6S_sGd7LZZCVLNAaZug1B

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

This movie?

Yes that movie

I've seen two of the concert versions - 10th and 25th

i should of specified. I have never seen it live, but seen recordings of live versions.

Javert wasn't very well cast, since Russel Crowe seems pretty chunky for the time even for an inspector, and it seemed like he changed a lot of the notes to better fit his range, which kind of disappointed me. I still cried, though.

The Javert from the 25th anniversary version is the best one in my opinion.

Hugh Jackman was alright. I didn't like the carriage scene on the way to Paris... I don't remember ever hearing that song before. It was kind of bland, in my opinion.

It is a new song written just for the movie. I think they put it in to explain the reason of Valjean's devotion to this random girl for people who aren't familiar with the story. I mean he just drops everything for this girl he doesn't know. You can see how that can be a hole in the story for people. So the lyrics are something like, "I know have a reason to live" or something like that.
idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the double post

Here is something funny.

At the movie, when it was over, someone complained out loud that she didn't know it was all singing. Come on-_-

stickupkid97
stickupkid97
17 posts
Nomad

i heard it sucked

Panthera_Leo
Panthera_Leo
24 posts
Bard

I can't wait to get it on DVD!!!
All of the songs are amazing!

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I say the movie today. I did not even tear up. It really is not that sad. Yes there are sad parts but not crying parts. Then again I think I do not have feelings.

This was the first time I had seen it. I liked it but the movie was too long. An intermission would have been nice. The acting was great. I loved Russel Crowe, I do not see why you guys did not like him. The sound when he died was not necessary though. Ugh. That sound is horrible.

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

Personally, it doesn't sound very interesting to me. But I get extra credit in social studies if I go.

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

You have nothing to base russell crowe's performance on. Compared to other Javert's, he sucked.

I cried three times. Valjean's death when Anne Hathaway started singing, Epoinine's death. And when Fantine had to...you know.

Intermission in a movie? especially this one. Let me think about it...NO!

You cant break the plot!

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Intermission in a movie?

Well it really is a play. It was made to have an intermission.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

*Facepalm* I believe you're all talking about:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/603354_10200091243832829_904432375_n.jpg

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Eh, they're fans loyal to the musical nitpicking on his voice, changes, and such. Apparently he didn't have good diction, which I hardly noticed since I knew all the words anyways. I thought he was pretty alright, not as stellar as I would have hoped.

I can understand that because I'm a fan of The Phantom of the Opera (the only Musical I like) and Gerard Butler was no Michael Crawford.
I was even annoyed when I went to see the American version in St. Louis because they changed a few words.
I have the original soundtrack (with original cast) and the highlights from it.
I must say that Emmy Rossum did I decent job at singing her part.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I mean, if you think about it, it's rare there's a play without an intermission or two. There's hardly any movies with an intermission, unless it's some sort of marathon (I guess? I should hope they provide breaks inbetween). I suppose it's a bit cultural. It may also be because it's in movie form...

Some old movies like Ben Hur, The 10 Commandments, Lawrence of Arabia have intermissions. Of course those movies are like 4 hours long so...
idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

Well it really is a play. It was made to have an intermission.

But this is a movie version.

Who is the best Jean Valjean?

I vote Alfie Boe from the 25th anniversary version.
Showing 1-15 of 24