ForumsGamesTerran, Zerg, or 'Toss (General Starcraft thread)

49 8445
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

With a witty title, this thread is for anything Starcraft related, if you need/want help with levels (or in SC2, achievements), you can ask here.

I have 1 tip, to start out, the prima guide for SC1 is horrible, use it for tips if you have trouble, but not a walkthrough.

And I am curious as to what your favorite race is, mine is either Terran or Toss, never liked Zerg.

finally, to start out with tips, I am a mediocre player, anyone have any tips on how to get better at multiplayer?

~~~Darth Caedus

• 49 Replies
Vagueshade
Vagueshade
83 posts
Peasant

In my (brief) experience in playing SC1, as well as my brother telling me some tactics and tournament experiences, I'd choose Terran.

They were pretty good when it comes to being good both Offensively and Defensively, but Mastering their race entirely was harder than Zerg and Protoss.

That, and YAMATO CANON \\(OwO)/

Vagueshade
Vagueshade
83 posts
Peasant

The only tip I can give you is don't play against korean players, trust me on this.

They have tournaments televised in front of thousands, it's practically a sport to them.

Pro Tip: Get one as a buddy.

No doubt you'd learn a lot from him.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Are we talking about Starcraft 1 or 2?

On that note, anyone else looking forward to the Heart of the Swarm expansion coming out soon?

As for achievements, I've gotten all of the Liberty Campaign and Exploration ones, so if you want advice those are easy.

And I am curious as to what your favorite race is, mine is either Terran or Toss, never liked Zerg.

Protoss on sc2, gotta love the Stalkers. Terran sucks though for multiplayer (seriously, no meds or gols) and I haven't really played Zerg enough due to me barely doing melee matches.

anyone have any tips on how to get better at multiplayer?

1) Learn unit/building hotkeys.
2) Get really good with economy. You always want to be getting more and more resources and uses them as fast as you can.
3) Use the units you make well. Terrain, abilities, microing and such makes or breaks the game.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Are we talking about Starcraft 1 or 2?

On that note, anyone else looking forward to the Heart of the Swarm expansion coming out soon?

As for achievements, I've gotten all of the Liberty Campaign and Exploration ones, so if you want advice those are easy.

Both, and I don't know about Heart of the Swarm, I am not sure this computer has enough space (12 GB is a tenth of the hard drive)

I am working my way through Liberty, but I really want the Zen Master (team and solo) achievements.

btw, I don't really understand, what are melee games? (in sc2)

Protoss on sc2, gotta love the Stalkers. Terran sucks though for multiplayer (seriously, no meds or gols) and I haven't really played Zerg enough due to me barely doing melee matches.
true dat, I was playing my second qualifier game, as random, I got toss (and my opponent too), so I tried to tech up real quick, then he comes in and destroys me with mass stalkers.

Combining the medic and dropship, although it saves space, removes one advantage from the medic (THEY CAN HEAL EACHOTHER), now you need a medivac and a science vessal both, but there are no sv's on multi. (nothing handier than a medic for vehicles) As for gols, they would be really beast if you had the upgraded targeting system. (really handy when you are fighting a base defended by air)

1) Learn unit/building hotkeys.
2) Get really good with economy. You always want to be getting more and more resources and uses them as fast as you can.
3) Use the units you make well. Terrain, abilities, microing and such makes or breaks the game.
I usually build lots of scvs early on, then I get destroyed by a rush (in sc1, haven't played that many sc2 games, other than liberty), as for micro, mine is just horrible.

The only tip I can give you is don't play against korean players, trust me on this.
I know about Korea, that has been going on for years, I think. Besides, I am probably more likely to do a SSBB tournament.

Anyone have tips for Left 4 Dea... I mean Left 2 Die? (teamliquid is pretty good for most acheivements, I used them to get Blaze of Glory, but they have nothing for this map)

~~~Darth Caedus
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

btw, I don't really understand, what are melee games? (in sc2)

I suppose they're called league games or w/e in sc2. I don't really play them much though.

Combining the medic and dropship, although it saves space, removes one advantage from the medic (THEY CAN HEAL EACHOTHER),

That's basically a duh. Why shouldn't medics be able to heal each other? Not that it really matters in a huge fight anyways.

now you need a medivac and a science vessal both, but there are no sv's on multi. (nothing handier than a medic for vehicles)

Exactly. On multiplayer, Terran is nerfed so hard.

As for gols, they would be really beast if you had the upgraded targeting system. (really handy when you are fighting a base defended by air)

Upgraded targeting system is OP. I don't mind that not being in there, but gols are like Terran's bread. You can have a pile of jelly and peanut butter but without bread it's just a glob of pointless crud.

I forget if there's wraiths or not in multiplayer (I don't think so) and Terran is super weak against air unless you get tons of vikings, but then Zerg/Toss come in with mass hydras/roaches/stalkers and just **** you while you change.

I usually build lots of scvs early on, then I get destroyed by a rush (in sc1,

Don't even play sc1 melee. 75% of the players have hacks and the main strategy is just rushing.

as for micro, mine is just horrible.

My problem is I end up with tons of resources laying around. I still win pretty much every time, but that's because I'm really good with how I use my units.

And by tons of resources, like 2.5k gas/mins just waiting to be used while I run around with 20 stalkers...

I used them to get Blaze of Glory,

That was one of the easiest to get achievements. I met the requirement for that on Brutal twice over.

The hardest achievement to get for the Liberty Campaign I think is Brutal completionist, simply because Supernova is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE MISSION. I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Supernova.

I mean Left 2 Die?

Upgrade and make lots of bunkers/tanks. Turrets around the perimeter are needed too. Other than that, it's your basic mission from the campaign (except the giant green ultralisks, which I'd just keep a hellion or vulture out front and run around while your tanks/bunkers work at it.)
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

I've played BW pretty regularly but I've switched completely over to SC2. Where I play, A LOT.

I main as Terran, used to main as Protoss. And I play Zerg on occasion.

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

I've completed all the Brutal missions on the campaign and the Lost Vikings achievements. If anyone needs help, at anything, let me know

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

the Lost Vikings achievements

That was the last achievement I got for the campaign.

Sole reason why was because my laptop could barely run sc2 (which is still fine when units move on their own even while lagging) but in Lost Viking it was literally a 1-2 second response time from when I told it to move to when it moved, so I was basically trying to play in the future...Anyways, got a new comp and got it the first try so meh.

I've completed all the Brutal missions on the campaign

Just curious, how did you beat Supernova? I ended up skipping taking over the second base and just went straight for the last one and then ran up the far side of the map as a suicide run to break the vault. Firewall was still not even 3 minutes away from me.
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

Super Nova requires Banshee's. You continuously make them and keep moving your base down the line. I believe you only need to move it twice.

I believe you take your Banshee's up top but on the Left side. There is only a few cannons. And you can park your banshee's and just hit the objective. You will need a few Vikings for air support.
Sounds simple but its tricky.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

That's basically a duh. Why shouldn't medics be able to heal each other? Not that it really matters in a huge fight anyways.
Yes I know, but the medivac doesn't have that ability. And being able to heal each other can save them in a fight where there is a couple units with splash.

The hardest achievement to get for the Liberty Campaign I think is Brutal completionist, simply because Supernova is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE MISSION. I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Supernova.
(secret mission in legacy of the void, REVENGE OF THE TAL'DARIM), I don't know why, but for some reason I got this confused with Maw of the Void. (motherships are easy to take down with range upgrade vikings, because they rarely move to engage, and you can kite them)

As for Lost Viking, it is annoying, because you are stuck on some retarded grid, so it can be hard to aim because some enemies are in between grid lines. (or is that just lag?)

That was one of the easiest to get achievements. I met the requirement for that on Brutal twice over.
Not when you follow the DT wall advice, then watch as the enemy deploys banelings. (I ended up with 2400 kills, exactly 2400)

Upgrade and make lots of bunkers/tanks. Turrets around the perimeter are needed too. Other than that, it's your basic mission from the campaign (except the giant green ultralisks, which I'd just keep a hellion or vulture out front and run around while your tanks/bunkers work at it.)
How to kill a Stank on hard difficulty, without losing a unit. (supposedly a PF will keep it occupied so you can kill it with tanks, little curious if this would work)

And for Brutal, I am not going to even try.

question for outbreak, so I get siege tanks before going there to make the hard achievement easier?

~~~Darth Caedus
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

@PauseBreak, I already did Supernova on Brutal long ago, I was just asking what method you used to do it.

(or is that just lag?)

It's lag.

Not when you follow the DT wall advice, then watch as the enemy deploys banelings. (I ended up with 2400 kills, exactly 2400)

Pfft. Just keep making stalkers/colossi, phoenix and void rays. Mass gravity lift the hybrids and what not.

I think I got around 3500 kills on Brutal, and I could have gotten more if I had kept making units and played strategically.

(supposedly a PF will keep it occupied so you can kill it with tanks, little curious if this would work)

Probably, but that's not really needed.

question for outbreak, so I get siege tanks before going there to make the hard achievement easier?

? No, you don't need siege tanks. Do the Redstone mission first though to get reapers.

Just make bunkers and shove marines into them and make reapers constantly. You can level the entire map in 3 nights if you aren't going for the research. Stick a few medics with them too.

Don't even bother with hellions. Hellions are pieces of crap.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Don't even bother with hellions. Hellions are pieces of crap.
that is given.

Pfft. Just keep making stalkers/colossi, phoenix and void rays. Mass gravity lift the hybrids and what not.
Did you take the gold expansion?

? No, you don't need siege tanks. Do the Redstone mission first though to get reapers.
I meant should get siege tanks. when I get home from school I will try again with reapers.

~~~Darth Caedus
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Did you take the gold expansion?

No. It's not really worth it because then you spend more psi on more probes when you don't really need more (well, the extra gas might help) and you have to divide your troops to protect the base.

I meant should get siege tanks. when I get home from school I will try again with reapers.

I've never used siege tanks on Outbreak. There's simply no reason to. The first night nothing more than a few normal infested civilians come and a few infested marines. Then you destroy around 1/5 of the total infested houses, night comes again. Next day your army is like 2-3x as big as it was the previous day and you destroy half of what remains. Night again and they start to send abominations at you, but they're only attacking from one direction anyways so 4 bunkers can handle that. Then daybreak comes and you finish everything off.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I've never used siege tanks on Outbreak. There's simply no reason to. The first night nothing more than a few normal infested civilians come and a few infested marines. Then you destroy around 1/5 of the total infested houses, night comes again. Next day your army is like 2-3x as big as it was the previous day and you destroy half of what remains. Night again and they start to send abominations at you, but they're only attacking from one direction anyways so 4 bunkers can handle that. Then daybreak comes and you finish everything off.
Well, the reapers owned the enemy, because of their range, you can just sit outside your base, destroying the enemy, you just have to be careful because your stupid units keep attacking the buildings instead of the enemies, so the building isn't one hitted and you end up with 2 abominations and a bunch of marines right next to you.

Do you think reapers would work for left 2 die?

~~~Darth Caedus
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Do you think reapers would work for left 2 die?

I wouldn't say they would be bad, but you wouldn't get away with just reapers. There's air units and Stanks, and many more abominations. You need a solid base defense in place (which is why I recommended tanks) but having a squad of reapers would be good too. They'd be great for just microing around and reinforcing areas that are having trouble, since they're fast and can pretty much ignore terrain.
Showing 1-15 of 49