ForumsGamesTerran, Zerg, or 'Toss (General Starcraft thread)

49 8429
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

With a witty title, this thread is for anything Starcraft related, if you need/want help with levels (or in SC2, achievements), you can ask here.

I have 1 tip, to start out, the prima guide for SC1 is horrible, use it for tips if you have trouble, but not a walkthrough.

And I am curious as to what your favorite race is, mine is either Terran or Toss, never liked Zerg.

finally, to start out with tips, I am a mediocre player, anyone have any tips on how to get better at multiplayer?

~~~Darth Caedus

• 49 Replies
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

For the Left 2 Die mode, reapers are a poor choice.

In the campaign mission of that map, Reapers are a great choice. They have bonus to Light and their D8 charge makes quick work on the buildings.

But as far as the Left to Die, Tanks (a lot), well placed turrets, bunkers (a few), PF's at key positions, and a squad or two that is mobile and is able to quickly take out the Nydas worms. (I believe the Nydas worms only come out on the Brutal [or hardest difficultly AKA Night to Die])

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

No. It's not really worth it because then you spend more psi on more probes when you don't really need more (well, the extra gas might help) and you have to divide your troops to protect the base.
I always take the gold in that mission. You need way more probes than you start with to get a lot of production and tech. That's how I do it, anyway. Just saying that taking gold can also be a viable strategy.

Anyway, I'm glad to see this thread out here. I was considering making one myself. I'll talk about myself and StarCraft, briefly.

SC1: I personally think StarCraft is one of the best games of all time, in terms of single-player content. If anyone likes SC2 and hasn't played the campaign of StarCraft one, I recommend it very highly. The writing is top-notch.

SC:BW. Okay. So Brood War has worse writing. Pretty bad in places. At least it's better than Wings of Liberty? But the changes to the multiplayer helped make BW into the greatest PvP game of all time... that's player vs. player, not protoss vs. protoss.

Wings of Liberty: I play Protoss in SC2. I've played Protoss since SC1. Not Brood War. Like, the time before Brood War was released. Been protoss since then. I'll be Protoss in HotS and I'll be Protoss in LotV.

Anyway, my name is Xzeno and my code is 643. We AG SC2 players should play together. Be it competitive 1v1, team laddering, FFA or team monobattles. We should get together and have a blast!

HotS beta: I'd PREFER to play beta with people though. I'm never on WoL anymore. I use the same name, but I forget what my character code is. I believe it is 900. But if anyone would like to team ladder or whatever, HotS beta would be ideal.

My league in HotS is bronze but in WoL I'm... silver! I'm awful! I lack time and commitment, what can I say?

Oh, does anyone else like watching eSports? I've been following Iron Squid lately. Yesterday's HerO vs. Marine King Prime was absolutely fantastic. Two of my favorite players and my favorite caster. Hopefully today's games will be good as well, though I don't believe Day[9] is casting

finally, to start out with tips, I am a mediocre player, anyone have any tips on how to get better at multiplayer?
You should watch the Day[9] daily! Newbie Tuesdays are very good for learning a lot of the basics. Funday Monday can be educational too, but less so. More entertaining, though. Alternately, you should play with me.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

SC1: I personally think StarCraft is one of the best games of all time, in terms of single-player content. If anyone likes SC2 and hasn't played the campaign of StarCraft one, I recommend it very highly. The writing is top-notch.

I'm kind of flipped from your position on this. I thought that the storyline of SC1 wasn't anything special and that the multiplayer was the better part of SC1. Tons of good UMS games are what made me keep playing it for years.

SC:BW. Okay. So Brood War has worse writing. Pretty bad in places. At least it's better than Wings of Liberty? But the changes to the multiplayer helped make BW into the greatest PvP game of all time... that's player vs. player, not protoss vs. protoss.

I consider SCBW to be SC1 basically, so...same as the above.

We AG SC2 players should play together. Be it competitive 1v1, team laddering, FFA or team monobattles. We should get together and have a blast!

I'm not really into leagues or w/e, I mostly play UMS games. I would be really good in leagues though if I bothered to spend the time improving my macro...if games last longer than 15 minutes I usually end up losing because I've got a ton of minerals/gas sitting around and I never expanded...

For the Left 2 Die mode, reapers are a poor choice.

Not poor, but you don't want a ton of them. Having a squad (12 or so) able to run around and support areas under heavy fire is good.

Kasic/739 is my name/code.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

DarthCaedus (no spaces) is my name, my code is 187.

I play WoL only.

Beware, my computer lags (it is several years old), and I am probably going to be in the bottom league once I do three more games.

Tons of good UMS games are what made me keep playing it for years.
Do you ever play HLD, or LotR hero wars?

~~~Darth Caedus
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Do you ever play HLD,

What is HLD?

The games I mostly play (if/when I ever get on sc1, since I got a new comp that can play sc2 without lag that's what I've been doing) are RPs, RPGs, or just defense games like Ling D.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

What is HLD?

Heaven's Last Defense

it is a battle between hell and heaven, 5 vs 3 (heaven vs hell), hell has units spawn every so often, while heaven is restricted. Hell wins by destroying God's Throne (a nexus), heaven wins by killing Satan (mutalisk)

~~~Darth Caedus
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Heaven's Last Defense

I used to play it a long time ago, when it first came out.

I don't know about current versions, but Satan can't win if the person playing God is any good. That area in the mid left just gets packed with tanks and the mass dragoons/gols barricade the other entrances. Then the heroes doubly make that sure.

Games I used to play a lot that I no longer due (mostly due to the versions people want to play being bad)

-Desert Strike
-Custom Hero Wars
-Impossible Scenarios
-Undead (various versions)
-Spawn D

Sc1 is dying fast though. Constant games list hacks, less than 10,000 people on at any given time, bad games hosted, 90% of the players have hacks and just drop you on a whim, mass spam in channels and all the serious players went to sc2.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

-Desert Strike
-Custom Hero Wars
-Impossible Scenarios
-Undead (various versions)
-Spawn D

You don't like impossible scenarios, that is one of my favorites. But I agree about Desert Strike.

I haven't heard about the rest.

Anyway, if you are platinum, how come you only have a zealot portrait?

~~~Darth Caedus
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

You don't like impossible scenarios, that is one of my favorites.

I don't like the current maps people play, or I've grown bored of what good ones there are.

But I agree about Desert Strike.

Desert Strike on sc1 is just a sc2 wannabe game.

Anyway, if you are platinum, how come you only have a zealot portrait?

It was the first league season and I have something like 23 or 24 wins and 4 or 5 losses. Not enough to unlock further portraits. Even if I had the others unlocked, I don't like how many of them look.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

It was the first league season and I have something like 23 or 24 wins and 4 or 5 losses. Not enough to unlock further portraits. Even if I had the others unlocked, I don't like how many of them look.
You mean you don't want a hybrid?

Desert Strike on sc1 is just a sc2 wannabe game.
What do you mean, Desert Strike has been around longer than SC2

I don't like the current maps people play, or I've grown bored of what good ones there are.
Maybe the reason I am still interested is because I rarely find a game, so I get excited when I do find one. (there are a few games that don't apply)

~~~Darth Caedus
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

You mean you don't want a hybrid?

Not in particular. I like how a few of the Protoss ones look, but not enough to play 1000 league matches or whatever.

What do you mean, Desert Strike has been around longer than SC2

Desert Strike vNight (the only one people play anymore and self proclaimed best version) was made when the SC2 beta came out. It has a bunch of units named with things from sc2 and tries to make their abilities through triggers or changing of hp/damage.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Desert Strike vNight (the only one people play anymore and self proclaimed best version) was made when the SC2 beta came out. It has a bunch of units named with things from sc2 and tries to make their abilities through triggers or changing of hp/damage.
Last time I was on (a couple months ago), I saw mostly Silver or 2010.

Anyway, what time are you usually on?

~~~Darth Caedus
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Last time I was on (a couple months ago), I saw mostly Silver or 2010.

Last time I was on (about a month and a half ago) I only saw the same few games being hosted over and over.

I have never seen any version of Desert Strike called Silver or 2010...what server do you play on?

Anyway, what time are you usually on?

Starcraft BW, I don't play much anymore. Starcraft 2 I get on randomly.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I have never seen any version of Desert Strike called Silver or 2010...what server do you play on?
SC1, usa-west.

Starcraft BW, I don't play much anymore. Starcraft 2 I get on randomly.
That probably explains it.

But would you mind giving advice for my optimal run that I am doing to prepare for brutal (running through on casual)

~~~Darth Caedus
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

But would you mind giving advice for my optimal run that I am doing to prepare for brutal (running through on casual)

Uh, mostly that would be level dependent.

For tech though, it depends on your play style for a few of them, but here's a few general things.

-Don't upgrade medic w/o tech add on.
-Get Tech Reactor
-Get Orbital Supply depots
-Get Biosteel
-Get Planetary fortress
-Get science vessels
-Get auto-refineries
-Get Hive Mind Emulator
-Don't upgrade anything for hellions, vultures, firebats, wraiths, ghosts/spectres, medivacs, or battlecruisers.
-Fully upgrade tanks, marines (stim optional), maruaders, banshees, vikings, goliaths, diamondbacks, medics (minus w/o tech reactor), all building upgrades.
-All mercenaries except Devil Dogs.
-Put off Supernova FOR AS LONG AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN. Do EVERY OTHER mission that you can beforehand.
Showing 16-30 of 49