ForumsWEPRnot believing means send to hell?

154 54086
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

let us say there could be places like heaven and hell...

..what would happen with people who can not believe after they die? what happens with people who never had the chance to believe anything after they died? what happens with people who forgot that there is a god (altzheimers) or people who are mentally handicapped or people in a coma when they die?

my point is that believe can not be the only "thing" that decides wether they get into heaven or hell (if these places even exist).

just a thought i had today.

• 154 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

unfortunately you use logic which is something not many religions use.

most religions believe that if you dont believe you go streight to hell. some people ive asked who belong to those religions told me that those who didnt get a chance or cant believe will go to hell (which just proves how horibble it is since if people really believed that with a pure heart and good intentions they wouldnt ever teach or talk about their religion to increase the amount of people who go to heaven yet they go on and talk about their religion trying to "save" others from their loving god).

some believe that belief has nothing to do with where you are going and that it all depends on whether you are a good person or not.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

The Parable of the Sheep and Goats (Matthew 25:31-46) says that good actions lead to rewards and bad actions or withholding assistance leads to suffering. Essentially, their hearts will be weighed, like in the religion of Ancient Egypt. In Ancient Egypt, only major wrongdoings were met with destruction, so neutrality would be considered good. Many claim God is as merciful. However, Hebrews 6:4-8 says that those who turned away from Him will not receive His blessing.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

at heavens gate, where st. peter will judge your life. you will see heaven and instantly know and acknowledge all the fairy tales. and there will be no more reason to not believe it. then st. peter will let you pass.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

However, Hebrews 6:4-8 says that those who turned away from Him will not receive His blessing.

How is the "turned away from him" to be understood? Does that include those that never heard of him or never believed, or does it only design the active process of losing faith?
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Catholic belief

Having mortal sins is what sends you to hell (if you don't confess them)

requirements for mortal sin
1: must be very serious
2: you must do it willingly
3: you must know how evil it is. (e.g. someone who doesn't think (insert atrocity here) is wrong would not be committing mortal sin.

turning away from sounds like they believed, but stop believing at a later date.

~~~Darth Caedus

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

How is the "turned away from him" to be understood?

It's explained in other places that it's those who were God-fearing, but went to other gods (or no gods) instead.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

I was brought up on the belief that if you never heard of the religion that has heaven and hell, then that rule of you not believing in the religion and therefore you have to go to hell dosen't apply.

My friends were brought up on the belief that you will go to heaven if you realize your sins and ask for forgiveness.

There is also the belief that if you don't beliee the religion even though you heard of it, you will go to hell. But personally I don't think Hell will really be that bad if it exists because it's basicly just the place where god isn't in (or so he says, even though he's everywhere) since you turned him away.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

it's basicly just the place where god isn't

Revelation 20:15 says that they go to a lake of fire. The aforementioned parable confirms this "'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." Matthew 25:41
zeus999
zeus999
31 posts
Shepherd

Really i think the idea of heaven and hell is very simple and if there is a god I think of god as more of a thing, encompaning the whole universe(dimension or whatever stuff we don't know) Made up of every living thing ( i also believe there is life on other planets maybe not intelligent, but life)
I think some religion at some point, had a good impact on the world, but now it's just keeping people ignorant.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Really i think the idea of heaven and hell is very simple and if there is a god I think of god as more of a thing, encompaning the whole universe(dimension or whatever stuff we don't know) Made up of every living thing ( i also believe there is life on other planets maybe not intelligent, but life)
I think some religion at some point, had a good impact on the world, but now it's just keeping people ignorant.

so, ummmmm . . . you're a panthiest . . . and, ummm, you think there is unintelligent life elsewhere, and religion is good, yet bad.

~~~Darth Caedus
gooeyglop1
gooeyglop1
345 posts
Nomad

The term "not believing means send to hell" is inacurate as far as the baptist doctrine is concerned. (And I'm not saying this particular doctrine is perfect.) Think about it more this way: Everyone in their life has lied, or stolen or done something "bad." So in a way Hell is not a punishment for ignorance of Gods laws, but more so a punishment for breaking his laws. And even further, we, as christains, should be trying our best to let the ignorant know about the Gospel and how to not go to hell. Although if you deliberatly choose not to believe, then you would get sent to hell because that is not ignorance. I do think though that the young, and the mentally impared (so much so they cant think enough to understand Gods sving grace.) This is what I believe and what the baptist doctrine has to say about this. And if you have found any contradictions in my statements then please understand that I do not fully understand my God.

gooeyglop1
gooeyglop1
345 posts
Nomad

I do think though that the young, and the mentally impared (so much so they cant think enough to understand Gods sving grace.) Are an exempt from hell.

(sorry for not completing that sentance)

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Think about it more this way: Everyone in their life has lied, or stolen or done something "bad."

And that warrants eternal torture.

Oh look, you picked up that 1 dollar bill and didn't try to find who owned it.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

I do think though that the young, and the mentally impared...Are an exempt from hell.

If life now is only preventing them from eternal bliss, would it not be a merciful thing to kill them or let them die?
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

The term "not believing means send to hell" is inacurate as far as the baptist doctrine is concerned.

Although if you deliberatly choose not to believe, then you would get sent to hell because that is not ignorance.

contradicting no? alongside with christianity the islam says the same thing. so any person goes to hell in at least one religion. how is it NOT ignorance? you dont give proof. you just tell us what to do and if we dont do it because it doesnt makes sense its our fault.
Showing 1-15 of 154