ForumsWEPRAsk An Atheist Day

20 13887
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Today is "Ask An Atheist" day, an opportunity for atheists to dispel stereotypes and answer honest questions.

"National Ask An Atheist Day is an opportunity for secular groups across the country to work together to defeat stereotypes about atheism and encourage courteous dialogue between believers and nonbelievers alike. The event is intended to be an opportunity for the general public - particularly people of faith - to approach us and ask questions about secular life. It is our hope that encouraging participation on a national level will raise awareness of the event and We're encouraging all SSA affiliate groups to participate at whatever level they are able!"
http://www.secularstudents.org/askanatheistday

"A couple of years ago on National Ask An Atheist Day, a high school studentâs mother was so offended that atheists were answering questions during lunch periods that she removed her kids from school that day⦠because nothing scares religious parents more than the thought of kids getting their questions about faith answered by people who arenât going to feed them the standard church lines.

The annual event, taking place this Thursday, is great for giving atheists the opportunity to dispel stereotypes and answer honest questions without being combative or defensive â" a scary thought for anyone who thrives on spreading rumors about who we are or what we believe:
"
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/04/17/national-ask-an-atheist-day-this-thursday/

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/524716_10152726480655117_1810289113_n.png

• 20 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

WTF, you guys need a special day for that? WEIRD!!!

SubZero007
SubZero007
883 posts
Peasant

I don't believe ask an atheist day is going to be a big thing on Armor Games, merely because most of the active population is either atheist or agnostic, and the remaining believers will attack you with pathos rhetoric no matter what day of the year it is.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Would you rather have a bible or a bilbo?

http://www.tolkien-online.com/images/Bilbo_smoking_a_pipe.jpg

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Mage please tell me this is a joke... I mean what stereotypes exist? Aside from the fact that we're all religion hating nutjobs.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Aside from the fact that we're all religion hating nutjobs.
Which is, to be fair, on Armor Games a pretty accurate generalization.

I'm glad this exists. People tend to have misconceptions about people not in their religious groups and this seems like a good way to be educational without too much fear of coming off as overbearing, which is a criticism often leveled at atheists. I think it's a largely unfair one, but who cares what I think. It's a good political move. I like that it focuses on education and mutual understanding, not demanding that people think something, but rather inviting them to approach you.

So since thursday is mostly over, how did it go, Mage? Any good questions? Was the overall experience positive? I assume you participated.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Mage please tell me this is a joke... I mean what stereotypes exist? Aside from the fact that we're all religion hating nutjobs.

Having no morals, not believing anything, worship satan, secretly believe in God, atheist because of bad experience with a church and/or a religious person, atheist because of trauma, are all communists, are all arrogant, doesn't believe because they want to do whatever they want... etc.

Would you rather have a bible or a bilbo?

Bilbo's fine until he goes all "GIMME THE RING" on you.

http://www.heligirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/evil-bilbo1.jpg
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

So since thursday is mostly over, how did it go, Mage? Any good questions? Was the overall experience positive? I assume you participated.

My experience would have been mostly either here or on facebook. Since I'm not really a big hitter in the atheist community as a whole, I didn't really have people coming up to me and asking questions.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I don't need 'ask a' days. I just ask people questions. For whatever reason, I feel no need to wait a year to get questions answered.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

, not believing anything,

I've been confronted with that a few times... sort of annoying that people think you're a nihilist just because you don't share all that religious stuff.

I don't need 'ask a' days. I just ask people questions. For whatever reason, I feel no need to wait a year to get questions answered.

I don't think you got the purpose of such days. "Ask a ___" days are not supposed to be the only time you can ask. It's great that you ask whenever you feel like it. Such days, for me at least, are just here to remind people that usually don't ask questions. I like the word used in Mages first quote: "opportunity".
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

What's your general opinion on theists?

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

It's too broad to say. "Theists" are ~87-80% of the world population. That's anything and everything under the sun. The only thing I think about theists, from only knowing they're a theist, is that they're a theist.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Being totally honest, I sigh internally each time someone starts talking about god. Yes, I may have certain prejudices about specific religions or cults. But I know religious people that are very sensible and reasonable when you get to know them. Basically, knowing a persons faith usually doesn't tell much about them, it's when I talk to them that I realize whether the prejudices I have of their faith apply on them personally or not.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Being totally honest, I sigh internally each time someone starts talking about god.

Oh, from that aspect, yes, I start taking note of their actions and words more closely. It's interesting to see how much they attribute to whatever they believe in. For example, there's those people who thank God they made it to work that day when it was snowing, and there's others who only believe something else exists and religion plays no real role in their life.

Religion is what makes me sigh inside, as HahiHa explained. It's when people start preaching or talking as if everyone else believes the same as they do that it's annoying.

Look at it this way: If someone came up to you and started talking about basket weaving on and on and on, mentioning their basket weaving club, what activities they do there, how certain baskets are better than others, would that annoy you?

Simply being a theist doesn't mean much to me, similar to how learning someone's favorite color doesn't make me judge them. It's when they never shut up about it that I start to become irritated, or if their belief makes them bigoted/irrational/hostile.

Point and case, my entire family is religious except for me, but they rarely speak about God except when they go to church. It doesn't affect their decisions and they aren't bigoted towards homosexuals/other religions, nor do they refuse to acknowledge scientific theory. It's simply something they believe in and I see no issue with that. For the most part, it's a social aspect of their lives where they do other things like Choir, Bells, Youth Group, Bible Study, or volunteer activities. Outside of the church, it doesn't have any relevance to daily life.

tl;dr, you believe in God? I don't care, but I really find it annoying to hear how large a part of your life it is, if I never asked to hear that.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

That they are people believing in at least one god. Though that's more than just pinion. More so that belief is overall baseless and in something that is untrue. Of course it's important to note that someone doesn't have to be a theist to believe something that is baseless and a person can be very rational and intelligent on many subjects and still believe something baseless and untrue.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

This day is GAY

No, this day is Atheist-inquisitive!
Showing 1-15 of 20