ForumsWEPRAnyone else feel like Anonymous is just a big joke/fake?

54 42708
redfan45
redfan45
197 posts
Nomad

I can't be the only one who doesn't idolize them? If they even exist.
I would not be surprised if their true self has been long dead, and they are just another government infiltrated puppet. Just like Occupy Wall Street.
Sure there are probably some honest members, but I feel like the ring leaders are just controlled by the CIA or NSA. Now days anyways. Any thoughts?

• 54 Replies
thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

i think they're fake but there are possibilties.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

everyone calls themself anonymous now. it was good when it really was a selective group. now it is just anyone. the most are amateurs trying to be cool.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

i think they're fake but there are possibilties.

They aren't fake >_>

Anyways..I'm leaving soon..but I have much to say on the issue. The main thing being the difference in Anonymous. Old vs New
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

They aren't fake >_>

He meant fake as in pretentious.

Yes, they're just horrible. Hacking random sites, hacking into bank/game accounts (Lulzec offshoot). They don't stand for anything but causing trouble, anarchy with none of its sincere political significance, and youthful idiocy, whilst hiding behind a cheap, creepy mask made popular by the very industries (Hollywood is dominated by corporations for one) they claim to despise.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Yes, they're just horrible. Hacking random sites, hacking into bank/game accounts (Lulzec offshoot). They don't stand for anything but causing trouble, anarchy with none of its sincere political significance, and youthful idiocy, whilst hiding behind a cheap, creepy mask made popular by the very industries (Hollywood is dominated by corporations for one) they claim to despise.

I'm impressed..you just combined the two separate entities of Anonymous into one

The "older" one is all about anarchy, chaos, lulz, cats, etc

The "newer" one is about social/political issues, wearing the Guy Fawkes mask, hacking for reasons other than creating random disarray, etc
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I'm impressed..you just combined the two separate entities of Anonymous into one

The "older" one is all about anarchy, chaos, lulz, cats, etc

The "newer" one is about social/political issues, wearing the Guy Fawkes mask, hacking for reasons other than creating random disarray, etc

That's because I don't support either of them, and there are parallels between the two. Anarchy to most people these days, isn't the anarchism of the past. The arch-typical anarchist movement today, ''Anonymous'', does not ring very convincingly of a movement that aims for the construction of a free society, without classes or States or frontiers, founded on anarchist federalism and mutual aid. It has devolved into a narrow minded group that campaigns for digital piracy when it goes against copyright acts and protection agencies. The once noble idea of anarchism has instead, n their hands become a disgusting vehicle to masquerade, and give their petty piracy campaigns a heroic glimmer. They certainly do protest once in a while for good, sensible causes (such as laws banning homosexuality acts), but to claim that sites like Pirate Bay should be allowed because they share information, when most of the data on such sites are illegal speaks volumes. They're a criminal group that aims to perpetuate theft and mischief, whilst foisting the crime onto companies that aim to protect property of artistes.

Worse still, are splinter groups that claim to act in the name of stopping corporations from making money, yet end up hacking into banks or personal accounts, becoming the ultimate hypocrites that they aimed to eradicate. They spread disinformation (Such as the infamous stories that Tupac was alive), releasing private information (Such as the addresses of Arizona government workers, or credit card details). It's pure criminal activity, and people who support these groups need to take a good look at reality. It's a splendid thing that many of such hackers are being arrested, and thrown into prison.

Also, you can keep your **** hands away from my computer, and not turn it into a botnet.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

lol, you gotta be kinding me. what have they done the last 2 year or so?
the only thing the name anonymous is good for now is for little kids to hide behind.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

lol, you gotta be kinding me. what have they done the last 2 year or so?
the only thing the name anonymous is good for now is for little kids to hide behind.

+1
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

what have they done the last 2 year or so?

The biggest thing that comes to mind is the exposure of the the Steubenville rape case.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The biggest thing that comes to mind is the exposure of the the Steubenville rape case.

Yet he did the wrong thing of posting the photos on social media outlets. Why not go straight to the authorities?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yet he did the wrong thing of posting the photos on social media outlets. Why not go straight to the authorities?

Possibly because the authorities in the town weren't doing their job in this case until it became public. But I don't think I entirely agree with the tactics used given it get's around the innocent until proven guilty thing and treats unconvicted people as guilty. (even though in this case they were guilty) It was simply a situation where something was done with a positive outcome.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Not sure I'd call it positive. I don't remember how or if that came to any conclusion, but I doubt it was positive.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Possibly because the authorities in the town weren't doing their job in this case until it became public. But I don't think I entirely agree with the tactics used given it get's around the innocent until proven guilty thing and treats unconvicted people as guilty. (even though in this case they were guilty) It was simply a situation where something was done with a positive outcome.

I don't disagree with that, but the way he did it was incredibly foolish and damaging.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Possibly because the authorities in the town weren't doing their job in this case until it became public.

(wasn't big enough for me to have heard of.)
my 2nd stop would be regular media. you can get some good money for evidence like that. using social media doesn't sound that smart...
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

my 2nd stop would be regular media. you can get some good money for evidence like that. using social media doesn't sound that smart...

Actually it might, compared to regular media, since it spreads even faster, and causes more outrage. But leaking it to the public, or the media is already a blockhead move either way.
Showing 1-15 of 54