ForumsThe TavernWhat do you do when you screw everything up?

13 3680
HUA7XFan122396
HUA7XFan122396
80 posts
Jester

I screw everything up in my life. I've gotten myself into so many bad habits... not like smoking or drinking or ma... anyways, I mean like I procrastinate to the max during school, I'm cocky about singing in front of my friends who sing so they don't even want to be my friend anymore, I always say the wrong thing to my friends who are girls so they don't want to be my friend anymore. I dated a girl in the drama club and broke up with her, so nobody in drama likes me, I don't play any sports so all the jocks wouldn't like me anyways, I've spent so much time on video games but I'm still just mediocre at them (I played Guild Wars for 18 hours straight 3 days in a row, and I play it a lot besides that), I don't practice any of my instruments so I will always be mediocre at music as well, I am atheist but my parents make me go to catholic school anyways so not many people there like me, and a lot of people at my school think I'm gay because I have a lot of gay friends and I have a bigger feminine side than the rest of them do but I'm not gay, I want to have a career in HV/AC and I've talked to everybody I know who works in that field but they don't hire me or even talk to me about it, I made my band teacher quit his job and move to Minnesota, I have ADHD and I'm annoying to my cousins sometimes and they always yell at me and don't like me very much, I've threatened to commit suicide, I don't have good grades (3.0 gpa) and I have never studied before, I've pretty much screwed my whole life up already and I'm only 16. I've tried to get out of a lot of these habits, but I always fail... How do I fix this?? Does anybody have some advice? I don't know if this topic falls under the

Please use your best judgement. Not everything goes.
category, if so I am deeply sorry again for not following the forum rules
  • 13 Replies
AssasinQubes
AssasinQubes
1 posts
Nomad

I mostly take it as a joke its hard to accept but its the only thing im keen on doing, im not really confident on taking on other turns on the road but sometimes my consequences are rewards ,its really fascinating how social life co-operates ,its appearence is deceiving but we learn new capabilities out of it.

SunPixie
SunPixie
75 posts
Nomad

Hey there.

I personally believe that no one but you can help yourself. Sure there may be supporters but they aren't just gonna randomly appear. If you can type this out, that means you're alive, correct? As long as you're alive, things can get better. Don't make the mistake of thinking suicide is the way to make better. Just think, if any of your friends or family committed suicide. Now reverse that on yourself. If you would feel terrible about it, so would they.

I just have a thing about suicide is all. So please don't.

Let me just run through this.

1. If you know you're being cocky, stop it.
2. I don't know what you mean about saying the wrong things to girls but lets face it they will confuse you until you die of old age.
3. I don't know what grade you are in, but being 16 must mean sophomore or junior? Don't worry about fitting in to a group in highschool, man. You'll probably never see them again after you go to college, so who cares id drama kids don't like you? So what if the jocks aren't your pals?
4. I play a lot of video games too but that doesn't mean I'm good at them. I can replay the same level of Fire Emblem 12 times before I get it right, but as long as I'm enjoying it, I don't care if I'm mediocre at it.
5. Someone is always going to be better than you at something. The point is not to sit in a pity party and ask why aren't you as good. You need to find the determination to improve your ability in that area, or settle for halfway. You can't be the best without work.
6. Again, who cares if people think you are gay? If you know that you aren't, then that is all that matters. Even then, being gay isn't a bad thing but I see the whole catholic negativity thing.
7. I don't know how you would've made your teacher move away. Elaborate I guess?
8. Don't stick the ADHD label on yourself, please. I had extreme ADHD growing up, and it still gives me problems, but I work through those problems instead of giving up and saying "Oh I can't, I'm ADHD."
9. I can't help you in family matters. You have to focus on fixing yourself before you can fix relationships with family.
10. Some kids would kill for a 3.0 GPA. Don't call that bad grades when you know it is above average.
11. Never study? It is about here where I get a wee bit fed up with this.

Life isn't going to magically fall into place for you and make you happy. You have to overcome each obstacle in your path. If you refuse to make the jump, then that means it isn't important to you. And that is YOUR choice. No one else can decide your life for you. Things like parents may have a large impact on these decisions, but it is still ultimately up to you.

There is no reason to say you've screwed up your whole life when you haven't even really lived yet. Once you get out of highschool you'll realize just how much none of these things mattered.

My only advice is a bit blunt, but I mean this in a nice way:
Stop blaming other people, stop blaming yourself. Blaming will get you nowhere. Try to realize what the problem is, and fix it. Yeah, it's gonna be one of the hardest things you have done because you've never really tried for anything, but nothing is going to change unless you make it.

Sorry if I'm being redundant or anything and I'm sorry if I made any errors in spelling or punctuation or anything.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

MoonSun seems to have this under control for right now..

I made my band teacher quit his job and move to Minnesota

I'm impressed. How did you manage this?
HUA7XFan122396
HUA7XFan122396
80 posts
Jester

This is just about the best advice I have ever had, thank you for being straightforward.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

You're welcome

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

I procrastinate to the max during school,

not sure what this means and too lazy to check sorry.

I'm cocky about singing in front of my friends who sing so they don't even want to be my friend anymore

as said above, either you are cocky and stop it, or you just sing good and your friends are jealous. and in that case theres nothing you can do.

I always say the wrong thing to my friends who are girls so they don't want to be my friend anymore.

too general. cant say for sure. either try to think before you talk or either they are overemotional and have to stop being annoying.

I dated a girl in the drama club and broke up with her, so nobody in drama likes me,

people are shallow and hate for no reason. unfortunately theres nothing you can do. maybe you can talk and befriend her and itl make things better... depends on you.

I don't play any sports so all the jocks wouldn't like me anyways

not true. some jocks are really fun to be with and alot of them arent judging jerks. dont be quick to say that. if your right though then they arent worth it.

I've spent so much time on video games but I'm still just mediocre at them (I played Guild Wars for 18 hours straight 3 days in a row, and I play it a lot besides that)

so? XP

I don't practice any of my instruments so I will always be mediocre at music as well

again... so? if you want to be better practice. look for songs that interest you and that you like. if you dont care then dont bother. i dont practice either and wont be amazing either.

I am atheist but my parents make me go to catholic school anyways so not many people there like me

nothing you can do. better to find that 1 friend and be real then fake it. good luck. you could also try to talk to your parents... but idk... havnt heard of catholic parents who didnt try to heal atheism... good luck again.

and a lot of people at my school think I'm gay because I have a lot of gay friends and I have a bigger feminine side than the rest of them do but I'm not gay

you could find a gf but many will still believe your gay simply because they want to. i also guess that they might think your gay just because your atheist because it makes it easier on their consience or something. (you just said you have many gay friends... stick with them if they are your good friends. friends will always be there for you, the real ones at least.)

I want to have a career in HV/AC and I've talked to everybody I know who works in that field but they don't hire me or even talk to me about it

idk how that works... sorry. try asking a counselour maybe? or someone who works at a college?

I made my band teacher quit his job and move to Minnesota

you didnt say the reason so i cant really comment on that.

I have ADHD and I'm annoying to my cousins sometimes and they always yell at me and don't like me very much

either talk to them about it or stay away from them. i did the second option when most people found me annoying in a school i was at.

I've threatened to commit suicide

................dont

I don't have good grades (3.0 gpa) and I have never studied before,

isnt 3.0 average? either start studying or accept your grades. once again, i did the second one XD

I've pretty much screwed my whole life up already and I'm only 16

pfff you dont know what screwing your life means. at your age anything can change the next day. not to mention after graduating college EVERYTHING changes whether you like it or not.
HUA7XFan122396
HUA7XFan122396
80 posts
Jester

Okay, well basically I was his least favorite student and I always played the glissandos on my trombone as loud as I could during pep rallies and he always called me out at the end of class for being purposefully annoying and disruptive and he gave me a lot of detentions. And one time I almost got him fired because there was a jazz band performance and I wore the wrong kind of black dress shoes (I didn't even know there was a wrong kind of black dress shoes) so he didn't let me play and made me sit out in the freezing cold winter for over an hour and I got frostbite. And I told the school and they gave him a warning and stuff. But, this is what really made him leave... It was the 2nd last week of school this year and he was teaching people scales on the piano, and he was trying to show them B flat Major 7 but he couldn't play it because he is awful at the piano, so I went over there and I played the scale and his face got all red and he started to punch at my face but stopped halfway and then he just sat quietly in his office for the remaining few days and he applied for a job in Minnesota and left after the school year.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

so he didn't let me play and made me sit out in the freezing cold winter for over an hour and I got frostbite.

The ****..is your school in Antarctica or something?
HUA7XFan122396
HUA7XFan122396
80 posts
Jester

No, it was just really cold that day.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

@ HUA7XFan122396
What was said previously made lot of sense so I'm not going to repeat what they said but my only advice is don't worry if you don't know what you like or what you're good at or even what you want to do later because sometimes it takes time to figure out.
Some people are lucky because they know right away what their career is going to be. Some other will find their soul mate and get married and spend their entire life together but not everybody's like that.
I went through school and college without knowing still what I wanted to do.
I finally figured it out when I was 31 yo. I bought my first computer and messed with it, screwed my OS (Windows 98) and went to the computer store many times (like 20) so I learned how it worked and what not to mess with.
One year later I went to another computer store, looked at the boss in the eyes and told him my story and that I loved computers and I'd like to learn more about it.
He decided to try me and on my 2nd week training I sold a $4000 computer (just for gaming) to a guy (back then PC's cost more money) when most of the customers didn't pay more than $2500 at the time because they were doing office work and nothing more so my boss was impressed and hired me.
I've been working with computers since then.
I did everything from selling, building, advising, repairing, etc.
I love it but man I wish I have known before. xD

Also, I liked to build stuff with Legos and when I came here to armor games I found the Crush the Castle game series and I started making castles.
Joey Betz contacted me and asked me to make levels for his new game.
So Dan (AG owner) hired me.
I made good money so I bought myself a new Alienware laptop and many other things that me and my GF needed.

So I'm telling you, don't give up and keep an open mind because good things happen too.

SunPixie
SunPixie
75 posts
Nomad

You didnt make him quit. Dont blame yourself for that. Although I'm surprised a music teacher would suck at playing scales. It was his own mistakes that got him in trouble, and it was his own decisions that led him to a different job elsewhere.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

10. Some kids would kill for a 3.0 GPA. Don't call that bad grades when you know it is above average.

I agree with what Pixie said...most of the time. Except for this. Even if you're above average, never rest on your laurels, or think that you're above half the cohort and can slack.

Studying might solve some of your problems. It would cause you to fritter less time on computer games ( don't bother much about them!), help you achieve a future career you aim for, fosters better character (typical tripe on diligence, humility and whatnot), and give you and your parents less outlets for causing trouble. Bow out of any potential conflict when it comes, and be passive.

Go to the gym, get healthy, feel more confident. Who cares what a jock thinks about you? Jocks are puffed up caricatures of life who end up screwing up even more.

Then again, I'm Asian, so I study. But it helps at times.

Also, I tweet when I mess up. Then again, that's not always a wise idea.
HUA7XFan122396
HUA7XFan122396
80 posts
Jester

Thanks for being so helpful guys. I think I know now that I don't need to have everything perfect, I just need to find what I am extraordinarily good at and go do it.

Showing 1-13 of 13