ForumsNews and Feedback[Necro] Advertisements are overly exaggerated on AG?

113 66056
jbondguy007
jbondguy007
47 posts
Scribe

Do you think that advertisements are overly exaggerated? "Roll over" adds are so annoying, how are we supposed to play if every time we move our mouse, there's a popping advertisement in your screen? And the adds on the sides of the home page are, how should I say... Inappropriate? I mean, I know you want your game to get all the attention, but here's a tip: You don't necessarily need half nude people on your add to attract gamers. Duh.
Let me know what you guys think about that!

• 113 Replies
eliakith
eliakith
2,419 posts
Blacksmith

Wflag10 shut up. I have friends who can't play on this site because of those ads. AG you have a filter for curse words , why not ads?

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@Eliakith I need examples of these ads. I've seen none so far. This website is PG-13, if you're friends are younger - then there is a good reason they can't play here. This is of course for legal reasons as well.

And please don't tell people to shut up. That's not a correct way to address anybody.

meed1
meed1
28 posts
Peasant

@Eliakith I need examples of these ads. I've seen none so far. This website is PG-13, if you're friends are younger - then there is a good reason they can't play here. This is of course for legal reasons as well.

And please don't tell people to shut up. That's not a correct way to address anybody.

Well okay then, how would I take pictures of these Ads?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Well okay then, how would I take pictures of these Ads?

1) If you are going to argue for something..don't ignore what people say.

2) Print screen.
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Yes, you can hit the "Print Screen" button, then cut/paste it into MSpaint. Save it as a JPG or BMP file, then upload it to Imgur.com, post the link here.

gman144
gman144
156 posts
Blacksmith

Or press Start+PrntScr until the screen goes dark and it will automatically save it under screenshots on your computer.

gman144
gman144
156 posts
Blacksmith

Here are a few...

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Well, close. Your files are on your harddrive, not the internet. You need to upload them to imgur.com, and then post the URLs.

meed1
meed1
28 posts
Peasant

I'm afraid print screen doesn't work for me.

And before you ask, no, the button works perfectly, it isn't sticky, and I didn't drop any radioactive waste on it. It doesn't copy to clipboard, right click + paste does nothing. Ctrl + V does nothing either.

boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

If you are using windows print screen should work. You need to ctrl-v inside a paint program though, like mspaint.

If you are using a Mac you can do shift-command-4 and then click-drag your mouse around what you want to screen cap. It saves to the desktop.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=pangtongshu]1) If you are going to argue for something..don't ignore what people say.[/quote]

LOL

Meed, I've had it (often) that I couldn't get the printscreen key to work. There's free software out there that allows you to make screenshots, just do a web search on screenshot or "screen capture" or so. I currently have no program to recommend to you over another.

JamesRyan8
JamesRyan8
1 posts
Farmer

Okay I never actually wrote in the forum here... although i've been playing a long time on this site... nonetheless this was, is and probably always will be my favourite site...
but seriously this new advertisement is getting on my nerves...

C'mon... really? I have to wait 45!!!! seconds just to start loading a game?

I mean I don't mind 15 seconds or so... but 45 seconds for a stupid world of tanks advertisement you can't even skip... thats just plain bs

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

45 seconds is the exception to the rule, we promise. I rarely get a very long ad, and when I do... I usually can skip. We've been working hard on making this a better experience.

geauxgamer
geauxgamer
1 posts
Nomad

Not sure why these kind of ads are needed. Are these forced ads or based on the users surfing?

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

It looks like as of now, AG hosts some ads that find a way around my straightforward ad blocker settings. I.e., they're not blocked automatically, and can't easily be blocked manually just like that.

I know sites need their ads revenue & so won't be too happy about such tools, on the other hand I'd say finding ways around it just leads us all into a continous battle between end users and site keepers, with Business being the great laughing winner.

Rather and if it isn't being done yet, I know e.g. AdBlock Pus features what they term "non-intrusive advertising," which it allows by default. It is precisely meant, one presumes, to allow site keepers to maintain their bona fide and indeed non-intrusive ways of garnering some income.

Methinks if both site keepers and such blocker software developers would work together to make these measures work (i.e., to develop or maintain ads that woud meet these criteria), that would be the best of both worlds, and none of us would have to be any less the wiser for it.

I personally feel such tools are a great asset in general whilst surfing the web, and again finding ways to circumvent them shouldn't be the answer (nor to stop them from ever being mentioned even), just because people happen to also play a game once in a while. If us users block such stuff, consider that probably we didn't think of that just to pester e.g. ArmorGames.

nb I realize maybe AG has no control over this even, and it's those ad developers themselves that are at work here. I do say it in all friendliness, and anyway I reckon if anybody, it's their clients i.e. those site keepers that could throw some weight into the issue.

Cheers.

Showing 76-90 of 113