ForumsWEPR[nec]Christianity vs Atheism

3094 555570
kiddslayer12
kiddslayer12
70 posts
Nomad

I am a christian, i and i strongly belive in my lord jesus christ, and i also belive that if you belive in him and except him as your savior, u will go to heaven. and i also believe that he created the world, not the big bang, or that we came from stupid apes.

• 3,094 Replies
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

You do know fiction means made-up or false - EG a fictional story?

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

and who made you ruler of the forum.

Hm? Oh Ricador a while back. Don't worry about it.

"well, i don't agree with you, so your wrong"

One of the main rules of debating or arguing in any form is that the affirmative party (in this case those who are religious) have to provide the others with proof for their view otherwise it can be ignored. Providing objective proof is key to winning a debate, for that matters it's a key to being allowed to debate.

@Noobslayer if you're going to debate please actually debate. The Christian position can be defended with something resembling logic, trust me I did it for years. Right now you're just blathering and spaming.
nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

You do know fiction means made-up or false - EG a fictional story?

i did post that right above you, so i was right in my declaration that you say they are wrong.

ME: wait now, how can you 'judge' someone elses opinion? not saying either side is right here, but is this all this has come to, just saying, "well, i don't agree with you, so your wrong"..... on both sides........

Avorne: We never said they were wrong - just that they hadn't provided any supporting evidence.

(quote)pure fiction
ME: that doesn't mean false, or in other words, "wrong"

Avorne: You do know fiction means made-up or false - EG a fictional story?
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

So tell me Noob - you follow the Bible fully correct? All of it? The whole shebbang? Both Old and New Testament?

You realize that quite a few of the books of the Bible weren't written until decades and even centuries after the death of the one you worship. How do you know what is truth and what is false?

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Wrong. This is your interpretation of faith.

No, no that's about right. Even biblical:

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see,"

Heb 11:1
nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

i had to put it all togethor to see where the breakdown was on that one, i forgot to put a question mark when i said

that doesn't mean false, or in other words, "wrong"

supposed to be a question mark at the end. my bad. and in the last post i made too,
so i was right in my declaration that you say they are wrong.
was also supposed to have a question mark at the end too
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

wait now, how can you 'judge' someone elses opinion? not saying either side is right here, but is this all this has come to, just saying, "well, i don't agree with you, so your wrong"..... on both sides.

As I said with evidence.
Let's say I told you blue frogs exist. If you've never seen or heard of a blue frog before, without anything to back up this claim what reason do you have to believe me? All you would have to go on is my opinion that blue frogs exist.
Since you have never seen a blue frog before and I have provided no evidence to back up my claim it would be reasonable for you to assume they don't exist.

But let's say I said blue frogs exist, here's my evidence they exist.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/Blue.poison.dart.frog.arp.jpg
Now you have reason to believe my claim that blue frogs exist because now you can see for yourself.

So there is more to it then just disagreeing with someones opinion when it comes to evaluating the validity of a claim. If we were to be expected to just accept every claim at face value then we must also except magic pixies, goblins, griffins, and every thing else regarded as fiction.
nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

thats not an opinion, if you had no proof, then it would be your opinon that blue frogs existed. if you had proof that there isnt a higher power it would be a fact. but its not, its your opinion that one doesnt exist, just as it is thier opinion that a higher power does exist. evolution and abiogenesis, and the big bang are key helpers, but there are just proof we werent created by a higher power, not proof that one isnt there.

in semation, all of this is opinion, not fact. there is a difference.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

He's got a point there, we can prove that it's very improbable that a higher being exists, but we can't prove that there really isn't one; it is our opinion.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Eventually, however, the Catholics digressed into believing a lot of hocus pocus (no offense), praying and worshiping people other than Jesus and thinking that crackers and wine can be turned into flesh and blood by chanting the magic words over it. Then another religion sprung up: Christianity. Christians ignored all the new rules made by the Catholics and believed the Bible alone.

I beg your pardon?

Firstly Christianity comprises three major branches: Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy, and Protestantism. Catholics are Christians.
Secondly Christianity began in the mid-1st century, whereas the earliest recorded evidence of the use of the term "Catholic Church" is in about 107. That's more or less 50 years later.

Your post is absurd.

Here is something you definitely need:
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/116/christianitybranchessvg.png
A simplified chart of historical developments of major groups within Christianity.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Wrong. This is your interpretation of faith. That doesn't mean it's correct or that you need to state your opinion, especially since you guys seem to hate opinions so much.

Actually faith is defined as a strong belief in the legitimacy or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

By having faith in your religion you are believing it to be legitimate. However skeptics, people who use rational and logical thought, and their ilk contend that we won't say something is legitimate or true unless it can be shown to be so with evidence. This is why we don't have faith in your religion, we see no legitimate evidence for it.

Jesus came, and people wrote down all significant events before and after he died. The Jews, however, refused to accept Jesus had ever come, and they still awaited the coming of the true Messiah. Others, called Catholics, believed the Bible exactly as it was written, and had faith that Jesus was real, due to the evidence of the perfectly legitimate Bible and the thousands of eyewitnesses that saw Jesus perform his miracles.

According to your stories, sure. Bear in mind that the books written about Jesus were written long after his death. Kind of hard to be an eyewitness when you weren't even alive at the time, in the case of many supposed corroborators of the New Testament, or to keep an accurate and true account of events which occurred many years ago.

This is why the Bible is not evidence of the Bible's accuracy.

I would also like to point out your obvious lack of knowledge regarding your own religion. Catholicism IS a sect of Christianity, and was not even the only sect of Christianity at the time, just as it is not the only sect now.

Also, if there is evidence to support your claim then you will be able to show everyone else why they are wrong. There would be no need for multiple religions if one was correct and had the evidence to prove it.
nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

another post that needs a merit!!

nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

um, goumas, not mrwalker's post.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

if you had proof that there isnt a higher power it would be a fact.

I would like to point out that the onus of proof is on the person making the claim. Religious people are claiming that there is a God and their particular rituals in worship to said deity are correct.

Well, since you're making a claim then prove it. Otherwise fully expect it to be rejected until you can provide such evidence.
nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

oh i cant prove it, im not religious anymore anyway, but i thought in order to reject something you needed to disprove it first? not sure how that works....

Showing 2986-3000 of 3094