ForumsWEPR[nec]Christianity vs Atheism

3094 510342
kiddslayer12
kiddslayer12
70 posts
Nomad

I am a christian, i and i strongly belive in my lord jesus christ, and i also belive that if you belive in him and except him as your savior, u will go to heaven. and i also believe that he created the world, not the big bang, or that we came from stupid apes.

• 3,094 Replies
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Yes, it is...

You can rant a bunch about it but it wont get you anywhere. It's much easier, and more intelligent, to debate aspects of a religion that can be proved true or false.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

You can rant a bunch about it but it wont get you anywhere. It's much easier, and more intelligent, to debate aspects of a religion that can be proved true or false.

I realize this, but its only because the Christians are stubborn and ignores the burden of proof... You know, that little thing that says the burden of proof lies on the accused? The thing that prevents me from saying "The unicorn made Mars!"? The bases for all scientific knowledge? Yeah, that burden of proof.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

You know, that little thing that says the burden of proof lies on the accused? The thing that prevents me from saying "The unicorn made Mars!"? The bases for all scientific knowledge? Yeah, that burden of proof.

I never said it was right, or smart; I just said it was.

Also they'll just say that that they have proof but it's personal which gets no one anywhere.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Also they'll just say that that they have proof but it's personal which gets no one anywhere.

Evidence isn't subjective. Show the same evidence to the same group of people and it will stand all the stones that hit it. Metaphoric stones, of course. You don't show, say a experiment proving nuclear fusion true, to one person who sees it true but the next person sees false. (Unless they totally ignore the truth...Not to uncommon in religion, actually)
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Evidence isn't subjective.

I know, as I've said in my last posts I'm not defending these actions nor am I condoning them. I'm simply pointing out to the new guy how to properly debate religion.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I know, as I've said in my last posts I'm not defending these actions nor am I condoning them. I'm simply pointing out to the new guy how to properly debate religion.

I see that, but why waste an opportunity to debate religious logic?

So you admit this thinking is flawed, yet you subscribe to it?
BeastMode10
BeastMode10
374 posts
Nomad

Have you ever heard of carbon 14? They usually are gone within around 40,000 years. There is a scientist - who used to be a evolutionist - who did some research on this stuff. I couldn't find anything on it, so I'll tell you what I know about the project. He and a bunch of other got together and started looking for carbon 14 in unexpected items. They researched diamonds - supposedly the oldest things in the world, at about a few billion years. Guess what they found? Carbon 14!

Radioactivity comes with probability - in fact Einstein even said something like "God doesn't play dice". There's no guarantee that all the carbon-14 will dissolve. And with trillions upon trillions of these molecules, there's actually a very high chance that one of the atoms will remain after even a million years.

May I add: Darwin himself said that he knew that his theory could be tossed, according to the 'missing links'. He said there should be millions upon millions of them, and yet we haven't found one. He also said that

We've actually found a ton of transitionals.

To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree.

Huh...

Thats the God of the Gaps argument, I think. Just because we doesn't have a complete explanation of evolution, doesn't mean the entire theory should be trashed. And besides, you still have yet to account for the rest of the evidence.

@314d1

I think samy's trying to say that most casual Christians use personal experiences not as a basis for religion, but maybe more as a...motivation, or something. They are subconsciously more affected by emotions, not logical evidence.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I turn my back and this thread jumps nearly 10 pages. I got a lot of reading to do.

Don't you think that the answer, or what would the Christians answer, is obvious?

Let's take gay marriage for an example. Some will say it's okay, other will say it's wrong but it's just as wrong to interfere, still others will protest and do what ever then possibly can to stop such a thing.
If this religion provided such clear cut answers we wouldn't have nearly 34,000 version of Christianity.

Except Jesus condemned the Pharisees for being willing to stone the adulterer in the NT. And besides, the commandment is "Thou shalt not murder" not "Thou shalt not kill".

Actually this is all a matter of what version of the Bible you look at.

For example the King James Version.
Romans 13:9
For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

But as stated there are numerous points in the Bible where it is condoned by God to commit such an act.

BTW I did a quick check on the Hebrew word that was used and as it turns out the word kill/murder here is interchangeable. It can also mean to slay or dash to pieces.

it was symbolic that a useless tree is the same as a lazy Christian who doesn't do any work for the Lord.

If that's the case it was a really piss poor example.

I don't mind if you point out the bible being BS, but again, most theists don't pay attention to the versus that they disagree with.

That's the point of pointing this stuff out, because it's often not payed attention to.

The fact that we have a Bible that matches up so well with the Dead Sea scrolls? If the Bible's meaning isn't manipulated and diluted over one to two thousand years, I doubt Moses could have changed the meaning in the 900 years of his life.

Actually no it doesn't match up with the dead sea scrolls.

We actually don't have original texts of the Bible. The closest are the Dead Sea Scrolls, but even here they are just copies of copies, of copies, etc.

I'm sorry, I got Moses mixed up with Noah (I'm tired) Moses lived to be less than 150...I can't remember the exact number.

Either way, seriously, and you wonder why this get's called BS?

Ever think of eggs and babies?

Still not big enough. Also on another note since we have a timeline fro how long they were all on that boat 40 day 40 nights + 150 while waiting for the water to go away. 190 days would be plenty of time for many of those species to get rather large.

Microevolution FTW!

WHAT!?

1 word (and an article): The firmament. There was water in the sky. A lot of it.

That much water in the sky would blot out the sun.

The antediluvian earth was a totally different beast than it was today. A lot of the water is what we call oceans today. Some of it evaporated, some receded into the oceans, a lot emptied into caves and underground caverns, some may have formed the ice caps and glaciers. Besides, they were in the ark for a looong time, plenty for the waters to recede.

No, just no, There is not enough water on this planet to cause a global flood.

Genesis 7
11In the six hundredth year of Noah�s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the(G) fountains of the great deep burst forth, and(H) the windows of the heavens were opened.

There was an actual window, up in the sky?
2 The fountains of the deep and the windows of the heavens were closed, the rain from the heavens was restrained, 3and the waters receded from the earth continually. At the end of 150 days the waters had abated,...

That's a lot of water to recede in such a short period of time. As already stated there isn't enough water on the planet for a global flood. So where did it all go? Also Where are these great fountains BTW?

(Genesis 621 "You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them.'

And where the hell is Noah going to put all that food since there is clearly already space issues for just the animals (yes even if they were babies)

I've been looking for the thing about the mountains, but I can't seem to find anything... But anyone should know that floodwaters can do amazing things. They can make valleys, canyons... Mountains. There is a theory involving a supercontinent, Pangaea, that the flood caused Pangaea to separate into our seven continents. I don't know much about that, though.

No, plate tectonics caused the break up of Pangaea. As indicated by your link.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Appalachian_orogeny.jpg

There is no geological evidence that the entire planet had flooded.

Irreducible Complexity
That is just a small piece of information that Mark Cahill provides.

There isn't anything that we have found that is irreducibly complex.

They weren't humans, for crying out loud.

Just to give you one example a baby elephant eats 200-300 pounds a day figuring the elephant wasn't one of the lucky ones to get a seat for seven on the arc that's at least 76,000 pound of food for just one species.

But really feeding the animals is just the first of the problems. If we look at the issue from a genetic perspective there simply isn't enough genetic diversity if you drop a species down that low. If a species is dropped to such a low population that it is forced to inbreed this will show clearly in that species genes.

Here is a video giving just one example of what we would see if this was the case.
Noah's Ark and the Cheetah

...what are you talking about? Let me simplify it for you:
Water in the sky.
God makes water fall from sky.
Water floods earth.
Folk die.

I will simplify as well.
Water in the sky.
Not enough light would get through.
There would be no "folk die" because this planet wouldn't be able to support such life with out sunlight.

Correction: Pangaea existed 6,000 years ago.

The oldest human civilization dates back to at least 10,000 years ago.

Have you guys ever heard of the story of Jesus feeding the five thousand? He took a little boys lunch, multiplied it by several thousand, and still had some left over. Supernatural, say? Like, the flood...

Seriously your best argument is "it's magic"?

May I add: Darwin himself said that he knew that his theory could be tossed, according to the 'missing links'. He said there should be millions upon millions of them, and yet we haven't found one. He also said that

Been over this, we have the fossils, we win.

Anyway here's a nice little video covering just the math involved in such a flood.
The Math of the Great Flood

Yet they still can't be proven false; when debating religions it isn't possible to debate the validity of a religion based solely on whether or not it can be objectively proven.

Actually it's very easy to disprove the validity of a religion. What's not easy is getting those who believe in that religion to accept it.
AircraftCarrier
AircraftCarrier
145 posts
Shepherd

tl;dr. Sum up your points, please.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Did you know that if the moon were a fifth of the 240,000 miles it is from the earth, all the continents would be underwater at least twice a day?

The waters that covers one continent is missing on another place. It's not that the entire water level rises. Go study flood and ebb better.
Did I say it was magic? May I again say that if God could make the world, he could make the world flood, or a few thousand loaves to appear out of nowhere.

So it's magic. I knew it.
Since when? I have not seen one single fossil. There are no connections happening, no species changing, nothing like that that I've seen. Where the heck is your evidence?

Go in a natural museum instead of the church for once.. also I own some fossils myself, I can tell you they exist. And also, species do change. You just never heard of it. I did.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Neanderthal Manwas determined to be completely human - just plain, modern people with a well-developed culture, art, and religion, but who suffered from dietary deficiencies.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/hominidancestors/a/neander_2.htm

Neanderthal DNA has been recovered from individual skeletons at a few sites, including Feldhofer Cave in Germany, Mezmaiskaya Cave in Russia, and Vindija Cave, Croatia. The DNA sequences are similar, and divergent enough from EMH to suggest that Modern humans and Neanderthals are not closely related. However, some controversy has arisen over the characterization of the Mezmaiskaya infant as Neanderthal; and geneticists are not united in believing that no gene flow occurred between Neanderthals and EMH. Most recently, DNA studies suggest that Neanderthals and EMH were not related, but had a common ancestor about 550,000 years ago.

This seems to disagree with you.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Don't get yourself blinded (even more) by a few fakes.. if we can determine if one is a fake we are also able to determine if one is real. Fossils are a real thing, and I'll say it again: Absence of proof is no proof of absence! You know that fossilization is a rare process, and the fossil data we have currently covers probably less than 1% of all the prehistoric fauna and flora. Letting aside the fact that we do have fossils to cover evolution, just imagine how improbable it is to find exactly the inbetween form of two organisms..

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

The Human Evolutionary Series
Appearance Taxa Relationships Status Description Image
36-32 Ma

Genus

* Apidium

The oldest primitive monkey known in the fossil record, dating back before the split between Old and New world monkeys. Basal to both Old and New world monkeys. Plesiomorphic traits

* Smaller canines than later monkeys such as Parapithecus
* Retains some post-cranial characters seen in prosimians

Derived traits

* Fused mandibular symphysis
* Scapula similar to modern squirrel monkeys
* Low rounded molar cusps rather than high cusps as is seen in tarsiers and strepsirrhine

33 Ma

Genus

* Aegyptopithecus

A Miocene monkey which bridges the gap between the Eocene ancestors of Old world monkeys and Miocene ancestor of Hominoidae. Tentatively positioned transitional form prior to the Old world monkey/ape split. Plesiomorphic traits

* Retained auditory features similar to Old world monkeys
* Incapable of true brachiation unlike extant apes
* Reduced capitular tail, but was proportionally smaller than Apidium

Derived traits

* Ape-like teeth including broad, flat incisors and sexually dimorphic canines
* A low sagittal keel and strong temporalis muscles
* Increased size in the visual cortex

27-14 Ma

Genus

* Proconsul

This primate has very ape-like features likes its teeth, but much of its post-cranial remains are more similar to monkeys. Universally accepted to be intermediate between 'ape-like monkeys' such as Aegyptopithecus and later apes including hominids. Plesiomorphic traits

* Monkey-like wrist
* Narrow, monkey-like illium

Derived traits

* Completly lacked a fully formed tail
* 5-Y pattern on lower molar cusps as also seen in hominoids

Proconsul africanus.JPG
13 Ma

Genus:

* Pierolapithecus

A European ape which is considered to be the predecessor of the great apes. Some objections have been raised to this fossils status due to its location in Spain, but Pierolapithecus is likely a transitional taxon between generalized apes and the lineage which led to great apes. Pleisomorphic traits

* Relatively short fingers and walked in a similar quadrupedal fashion like baboons
* Lacks adaptations for both gibbon-style brachaition as well as derived knuckle-walking like in chimpanzee's and gorilla's

Derived traits

* Flat, wider rib cage like great apes for tree-climbing
* The clavicle is large and similar to modern chimps suggesting a dorsally positioned scapula

4.4 Ma

Genus:

* Ardipithecus

A woodland hominid adapted to quadruped arboreal locamotion, but also for bipedalism. Intermediate between the last common ancestor of chimps and humans, and the australopithecines. Plesiomorphic traits

* Brains smaller than later hominids ranging from about 300-350 cc
* Foot thumb is not retracted into the foot as a 'big toe'
* Phalanges are more heavily curved than in Australopithecus

Derived traits

* Reduced size in canines, however still retained dimorphic characters
* Hind leg dominant, bipedal locomotion while walking, however were quadrupedal while climbing trees

Ardi.jpg
4.4-2.0 Ma

Genus:

* Australopithecus

First known genus of fully bipedal apes which are probably ancestral to robust australopiths and the genus Homo Intermediate between extinct quadrupedal and bipedal apes. While the relationship between some species are being revised, Australopithecus afarensis is considered to be, by most experts, the ancestor to all later hominids. Plesiomorphic traits

* Some species retain a sagittal crest
* Curved phalanges, indicating semi-arboreal lifestyle
* Semisectorial premolar is present
* Prognathic face to varying degrees

Derived traits

* Fully bipedal as indicated by many features including the knee joint, hips, lumbar curve in the spine, position of the foramen magnum, and feet
* Increase in brain size ranging from about 375-500 cc
* Development of a parabolic jaw

Australopithecus africanus.jpg
2.5-1.5 Ma

Species:

* Homo habilis

An early human which is the morphological link between australopithecines and later human species. Perfect intermediate between early hominids and later humans, possibly ancestral to modern humans. Plesiomorphic traits

* Pronounced brow ridge
* Foramen magnum is not positioned as anteriorly like in modern humans, giving a slightly semi-erect appereance
* Although reduced in size the teeth are still fairly large

Derived traits

* Increase brain size ranging from 510-800 cc
* Face is slightly prognathic, but at a much steeper angle
* Bulge in the Broca area, possibly the first hominid to use rudimentary speech
* Associated with the first use of stone tools

Homo habilis.jpg
2.0-1.0 Ma

Species:

* Homo erectus

Very successful hominid, which was probably ancestral to both modern humans and neanderthals. Probably the first hominid to leave and successfully colonize territories outside of Africa. Ancestral to modern humans and neanderthals. Plesiomorphic traits

* Still retains a heavy brow ridge and nuchal torus
* Lacked the complexity of modern human language, but does show increase in the Broca area
* Thicker bones and larger teeth than modern humans

Derived traits

* Rounder and larger brain (about 900-1100 cc) than H. habilis
* Face is orthognathic compared to H. habilis
* Probably lived in bands and was an active group hunter
* Associated with advanced stone tools and possibly the first hominid to use and produce fire

Homo erectus tautavelensis.jpg
500 Ka-recent

Species

* 'Archaic' sapiens

Archaic sapiens were the immediate ancestors of modern humans which evidently displaced the neanderthals in Europe and the island 'hobbits' of southeast Asia. 'Archaic' sapiens evolved from H. erectus about half a million years ago but still retains some primitive characteristics such as relatively thick bones and molars larger than modern humans. Ancestral to modern humans.

Since you dind't actually read the Wiki page, I posted the one on human evolution here.

MARK CAHILL IS A BUSINESSMAN! NOT A SCIENTIST! Even according to his own web sight, he has a business degree. Nothing he said about biology, astronomy, or anything other than business deserves mention.

AircraftCarrier
AircraftCarrier
145 posts
Shepherd

So question: are you going on what a priest is saying who never even get replied by Jesus himself?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Oh, by the way... The famous astronomer and evolutionist Carl Sagan estimated that the chance of life evolving on any single planet, including earth, is one chance in 10 to the 2,000,000,000th power. (hint: trillion is only 10 to the 12th power. a trillion seconds would be about 31,688 some years.)

Yeah, estimations and assumptions, wohoo.. I found a nice quote of a certain Hiroshi Yanagawa in the book 'Fundamentals of Space Biology', saying: ''Life is not a miracle unique to our earth but a chemical inevitability that is also occuring elsewhere in the universe''. This is somewhat founded since a guy (don't remember his name, am too lazy now to look for it) succeeded in creating many amino acids, just by reproducing the conditions that applied to earth at it's beginning.
Showing 2596-2610 of 3094