ForumsWEPR2014 Winter Olympics

51 21449
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Judging by the lack of threads present on this subject, I'd almost have to assume that nobody is watching any part of this event. However, I find that very hard to believe, as there are a few people out there who watch the Winter Olympics and I'm sure at least one or two of them frequent this community.

So, for those of you actually watching this event, what sports in particular are you watching? Do you have any favorite sports or athletes that happen to appear in these winter games? This is the place to confess that you actually watch the Winter Olympics.

• 51 Replies
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Even thought team Canada (men) wins, I'm not impressed.
They need to score more and their goalie Carey Price, does not impress me either so...
I think the US team has a better chance to get the gold.
The Canadian women team though, could get gold.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I watched some curling, skiing, and figure skating when I was home.

My takeaways:

Curling:
Curling is still cool. Didn't see enough but the female Swedish team I think will medal.
Skiing:
I get all the events mixed up but the part I saw 8 out of the first 10 people got a DNF! :O
Figure Skating:
Pony tail guy will win a medal in 2018. He was so happy to be in the top 10 and just to be there.

Yulia is adorable and amazing:
http://imguol.com/c/esporte/2014/02/12/russa-yulia-lipnitskaya-de-15-anos-medalha-de-ouro-no-ultimo-sabado-1392231750481_1920x1080.jpg

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

The women's figure skating was way to intense. Sadly Yulia fell during both the short and free skate. She still ended up getting 5th overall which is really good. She looked so sad after the free skate. I just wanted to give her a hug.

Russia should be rocking though after Adelina brought home the gold for them. Watching Adelina was amazing. Brilliant routine. Congrats also to Italy for getting their first medal ever in the event!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Women Hockey:

USA vs Canada
USA scores 1, 2 goals!
USA leads 2 - 0 going in 3rd period.
Canada scores 1, it's 2-1 USA
Canada remove their goalie, they score!
USA 2, Canada 2.

Almost half way into the overtime, Canada scores!

Canada 3, USA 2!

Canada gets the gold again!
Canadian girls rule!!!!

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Men's hockey America beat Russia.

Women's Canadian hockey's feat outdone

B-)

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

Well, the U.S. men lost 1-0 to Canada in the second semifinal game. Pretty disappointing effort from the Americans, but you have to give credit to Canada; they were better in every facet of the game.

Interested to see how the U.S. looks in the bronze game, and whether they play like it matters.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Sweden got 2 Golds, 6 Silvers, and 6 Bronzes, while USA got 9 Golds, 7 Silvers, and 11 Bronzes!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Well my girl, Julia Mancuso didn't do as well as I hoped she would but she's got a bronze medal though. I don't know why but I like her better than Lindsey Von.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Well, the U.S. men lost 1-0 to Canada in the second semifinal game. Pretty disappointing effort from the Americans, but you have to give credit to Canada; they were better in every facet of the game.

Canada proved again who's the best between these two countries when it comes to hockey.
Hockey is our national sport after all.
I just wished Canada would have won by 3 or 4 goals, not just a measly goal.
To be honest though, I didn't think Canada (men) would make it to the final because I wasn't impressed by their performances.

They still have to play against Sweden so they don't have the gold yet.
I hope they'll play better and win it.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Wow, Finland humiliated USA 5 - 0 in the men's hockey bronze medal! :O
Patrick Kane had 2 penalty shots and didn't score, if he had it would have been 2 - 2 at the end of the 2nd period.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Time for the second worst performance of the day.
Norway was ahead in the 4x7.5 KM biathlon team relay, until the last shooting
part where they fell apart. I wouldn't want to be in this guy's boots.
Russia won the gold.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Team Canada wins the gold in hockey which give them a total of 10 gold medals, beating USA by 1 gold medal.
That's amazing considering that they had 10 athletes less than USA.

I can't believe it's over already!
4 years to wait until the next Winter Olympics.
;(

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

I can't believe it's over already!
4 years to wait until the next Winter Olympics.

Why wait, build a snow ramp and your good. SSTG's Winter Olympic playground.

IK kinda sad it is over now. Can't wait for the summer for TaeKwonDo tho!

~~Black~~
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

That's amazing considering that they had 10 athletes less than USA.

The number of athletes is pretty irrelevant, especially when you consider all of Canada's best athletes are competing in winter sports.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

IK kinda sad it is over now. Can't wait for the summer for TaeKwonDo tho!

It's in 2 years so it's not that long.

It's very intense though, having all these sports crammed into a 3 week event.
Too bad NBC are so greedy, racist and incompetent.
It's hard to watch an entire event because they always show cut versions instead of showing the entire thing. Those idiots don't seem to get that it is an international event.

Also what I hate the most about NBcile is the way they treat athletes who lose.

The poor athlete is depressed because he or she didn't get a medal then the NBC idiot interview them and ask: "What happened?" How ashamed are you? Do you feel bad? How does it feel to be a loser?"

I mean come on!
Showing 31-45 of 51