ForumsNews and Feedback[Created] Online/Offline alert in the forum

47 16613
sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

Hello again, fellow Armorgamers.

So, you know that red/green ball that shows whether a user is offline or online?
I thought if it would be a good idea to be shown on the forums as well, so we know whether to expect a fast reply from whom we're replying to or if we can go away and check back later.

• 47 Replies
sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

New Thread: "how do i get a red light beside my name."

Made my day.

Well, I've seen that on some forums and I was thinking it would be nice to try and suggest what to add here and there, as someone else said, the zone where it shows the name and number of posts is kind of blank.
gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

so we know whether to expect a fast reply from whom we're replying to or if we can go away and check back later.

Or you can just check back in 10 minutes or so to see if anyone has replied. There's no reason to sit and watch a thread and expect a reply right away.
ivan
ivan
1,417 posts
King

[url=http://armorgames.com/community/thread/12106213/feature-proposal-1]

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Aww come on, it's just a wee button next to the person's post and it may have the psychological effect of motivating a user to post on their wall!

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

That's an interesting idea, we can look into how hard it would be.

- @Ferret, in Ivan's thread, which was a suggestion for the exact same feature.

Maybe we'll see it, maybe we won't. The admins appear to be looking into it, and as Ferret said, it would really come down to how difficult it would be to add such a feature.

As far as new features for the forums go, this one seems pretty harmless. I wouldn't go as far as to say people might actually post on each other's walls because of it, but it doesn't seem as if it could have any negative side effects, other than some potential bandwidth lag.
devansh_asthana
devansh_asthana
480 posts
Farmer

I think having colored lights beside each person's name would be distracting and also really confusing for new members.

We can also get that User online and User offline text after the posting date instead of the colored lights.
=)

VeeForVendetta
VeeForVendetta
8 posts
Nomad

I actually like this idea.
And I also edited few pictures that could fit for this idea:

Offline picture (yes, I forgot it should be red...)
http://i.imgur.com/MAYAPuY.jpg

Online picture
http://i.imgur.com/cwkYKY5.jpg

When you move your cursor on top of the circle a little box appears and there should read if the user is online or offline.
http://i.imgur.com/YQto6JC.jpg

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

The idea to put in right of the nick wonr work well, for some users, look at users with a long nick (like mine^^)

If somethink like this happen i think we will see the same as we saw on profiles --> left from nick... but this could mean even more users have cut on their nicks here, which may end in a bunch of complaining users.

My own two cents: i dont need it.

sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

Or the name could have a green/yellow highlight, or a border around the avatar icon?

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

Nah I would rather have it in the dead space under the name and armatar.
I don't think we need it either tho....

~~Black~~

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

I don't dislike the idea, but I also don't see any reason why we would need it when everyone's profile is just a click away.

sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

Well, it indeed is not a must but I thought it could work. :3

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

When you move your cursor on top of the circle a little box appears and there should read if the user is online or offline.

The little circle would be better off somewhere underneath the username, or even directly below the armatar, rather than right smack next to the username. As has been mentioned, it would require longer usernames to get cut off even more.

If the "last seen" notification were to be added to this feature, placing the alert circle directly underneath the armatar would be ideal positioning.
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

So I think when this was brought up on a Feature Friday meeting, the concern was that it couldn't be done from cache. It is still on our list though, doesn't mean it can't/won't be done.

sinhellsing
sinhellsing
352 posts
Peasant

Oh, glad to see you guys are taking this in consideration!
Can't wait to hear about the upcoming updates from you!

Showing 1-15 of 47