ForumsPopular MediaGP Formula One - Season 2014

112 51024
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Yep, it's next week! The Australian Grand Prix is almost there!
There are so many changes this year. Felipe Massa might actually win the championship if things remains the same but we know from experience that it won't.

Read more here:
http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/3/15534.html

I can't wait for the season to start! xD

• 112 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Massa? Win the championship? That would make a nice change.

I'm much less interested in the actual F1 season itself than before (mainly because Webber left and I was going to see if he'd ever actually win the championship, but after 2010 it seemed pretty clear that he wouldn't. Maybe I'll see how Porsche does in Le Mans this year). That said, I am interested to see how Ricciardo goes, since he seemed like a rather good driver, but he's now next to Vettel. And then there's also the Alonso Raikkonen pairing...

Volume regulations in the engines, while taking the sport further away from the 1000+ bhp days of the roaring 90s, actually interests me too, as I'm hoping this will boost the development of high output low displacement engines in road cars (I can see it making way to the hot hatch and budget coupe market, for example). A 1.3L engine putting out 200bhp? Yes please!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Volume regulations in the engines, while taking the sport further away from the 1000+ bhp days of the roaring 90s, actually interests me too, as I'm hoping this will boost the development of high output low displacement engines in road cars (I can see it making way to the hot hatch and budget coupe market, for example). A 1.3L engine putting out 200bhp? Yes please!

The new energy recovery system seems amazing on paper. We'll see how it perform in F1.
Road cars should be equipped with it in a couple years from now.
Pedro97
Pedro97
1,870 posts
Jester

Massa? Win the championship? That would make a nice change.

He deserved it in 2008. And I'm not saying it because I'm Brazilian. I felt so bad for him. I hope he has a chance this year at least. Barrichello had his chances and I want to see a Brazilian champion now with Massa.

Also I think this season is going to be more interesting since Red Bull's car is not that great at all and there is a Raikkonen-Alonso team.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Also I think this season is going to be more interesting since Red Bull's car is not that great at all and there is a Raikkonen-Alonso team.

Yeah I wonder how long these two will get along, that should make things very interesting.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Okay, so far I watched half of the practice 1 and OMG the sound of those new engines is disgusting and the cars are UGLY! :O
At the time I write this comment Fernando Alonso is first so that's good.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Hamilton, Ricciardo, and Rosberg completed the first qualification of 2014.
I'm annoyed that Redbull still managed to get on the first row, I thought they were in trouble this year! >
Anyway that was exciting, I can't wait for tomorrow's Grand Prix to see which cars are reliable.

Pedro97
Pedro97
1,870 posts
Jester

The race will be at 3 a.m around here, no way I'm watching that. If some channel replays it, I'll watch it.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I dislike the fact that new rules were introduced just to handicap Vettel. The best team should win, and red bull assuredly are. Luckily, I'm pretty sure Vettel will do what he does best; give everyone else a masterclass. If you actually care about everyone being on even footing, you should be watching lawnmower racing

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I dislike the fact that new rules were introduced just to handicap Vettel. The best team should win, and red bull assuredly are.

They got away with cheating for 3 years in-a-row and 'm sure they'll find a way to cheat again.
Pedro97
Pedro97
1,870 posts
Jester

And of course Massa has to crash on the first turn. Why am I not surprised?

In 12 races in Australia, his best result is a 3rd place. He crashed 4 times.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

And of course Massa has to crash on the first turn. Why am I not surprised?

He got hit from behind by Mr. kamikaze himself so...
Rosberg wins the first GP of the season, followed by Ricciardo and the rookie Magnussen.
That was an unexpected but interesting result.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Uh oh, something happened that changed the podium result.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/3/15579.html

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

And of course Massa has to crash on the first turn.

Indeed, Kobayashi kamikaze'd him from behind and literally 'crashed' his race. Nothing Massa could avoid/help!

They got away with cheating for 3 years in-a-row and 'm sure they'll find a way to cheat again.

Apparently they didn't... yet... Ricciardo was disqualified for trouble with the fuel distribution to his engine. Apparently Red Bull had the flow of fuel towards the engine set too high, which was not according to the FIA's rules. They immediately went for an appeal, but the outcome is still pending... shame for Ricciardo. =/

My brief summary for Formula 1 in general? The 2013 season was uninteresting for me, which led to the fact that I stopped watching it around August somewhere... I learned that Vettel was crowned champion a good month after the event occured, go figure... =P

The new season was something I was hoping to see with fresh spirit, but... the broadcasting is -again- behind pay-per-view here in the Netherlands, which is something I truly hate! It's disgusting to see how they are killing the sport. Idiots... =(

Anyway, I managed to find a short half hour review of the Australian Grand Prix and... seriously?! Rosberg won?!?! Oh, hell... not him!? He is the joker of the pack if you ask me! Pretty rich boy with an ego the size of Mount Everest... *facepalms* ...well, at least Ricciardo made a nice and fresh second place podium, at least something good happe...-wait-...he was disqualified... *facepalms* ...well, then we would have to have a look at the overall grid perhaps, because there is nobody else I would like to root for, except Alonso, maybe... I guess... *cough* ...right. The cars for this season look... (oO) ...what did they smoke when they came up with those hideous designs?!?! *facepalms* Well at least we will always have the nice high-pitched howling of those fast racing cars, right? Wrong... they now sound like ordinary street cars with a boosted engine!! *facepalms* ...oh mother... I will try to hang in there for a few more races, but if this is the future of Formula 1 Racing, I can assure you that I will for sure lose yet another interest of mine... now excuse me, because I have to go hold an icepack against my forehead. It's sore... *sighs*

[/rant]
Pedro97
Pedro97
1,870 posts
Jester

Indeed, Kobayashi kamikaze'd him from behind and literally 'crashed' his race. Nothing Massa could avoid/help!

FIA posted a note saying that it wasn't Kobayashi's fault. *facepalms*

And yeah, those cars sound terrible.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

And yeah, those cars sound terrible.

Yeah the high pitch sound was the F1 cars trademark, now they sound like an old sick horse couching. :/
Showing 1-15 of 112