ForumsNews and Feedback[Official] Disqus Comments

220 146386
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Greetings all!

We're going to be moving all our game comments, profile comments, MMO comments and editorial comments over to Disqus as early as this Friday. Because of this, I wanted to give you a FAQ to help solve any mysteries on the process...

What about Merits?

Merits will not live on our website in the same way, they can't be tied directly into the Disqus system which means they will no longer be comment-based. A simple Merit system will be created on our launch Friday that will grow more robust with time - allowing moderators/admins to merit people directly. Later e-mail notifications will be added to this as well.

You can also "Feature" a comment in Disqus, so that could also be awarded with your merit.

What about non-AG armatars?

A big concession we had to make with the Disqus system is that a Disqus account trumps our normal user accounts. This means users can name themselves whatever they like, and associate any armatar they like to their profile.

There will be alterations in our rules that discuss impersonation of other users, especially Moderators/Admins that will result in permanent bans. Also utilizing any exclusive armatars will result in a warning and possible further punishment.

Guest Accounts?

Guest accounts will be killed on site, and your real account warned. Guest accounts are not allowed on our Disqus comments.

Colored text for Knights/Admins/Moderators?

Not available right now in Disqus. You'll notice our accounts have "Moderator" next to our names. This text may change, but it means that person has moderator powers over Disqus comments.

What about total comment count?

This should be worked on before launch as well, nobody should lose their comment counts, just add on to their total.

What about old comments?

Still unknown the degree we'll be transferring over old comments. I'd love to hear your opinions though. This obviously is very tedious work, but I think me and @boppins agree that certain games (or comments) should make it over.

If you have any more questions let me know below.

• 220 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Alright lemme make sure I have this correct. So if a comment gets 100 upvotes and 99 downvotes, it will still display it as having 100 upvotes?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Alright lemme make sure I have this correct. So if a comment gets 100 upvotes and 99 downvotes, it will still display it as having 100 upvotes?

I believe these votes are tracked separately, so yes. However, when sorting by best, a comment with 100 upvotes and 99 downvotes would most likely display below a comment with 100 upvotes and no (or any number between 0 and 98) downvotes.
boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

The fact that Disqus has, for the time being, spawned a ton of YouTube-esque "First!" comments makes me facepalm.

I am marking any of these I see as spam.
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

There needs to be a way to delete comments on your profile. My profile comments are starting to get backed up. What happens in a few months from now when I have 200+ comments on my profile? It will be so bloated and long that I'll need to call out a plumber! A joking aside, I'm not very happy that there is no way for me to keep my comments clear and concise. The collapse command above each comment does no good since all of the comments re-expand each time I leave my page. I hope that there will be a solution to this problem soon.

~/// Mastaplaya

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

There needs to be a way to delete comments on your profile. My profile comments are starting to get backed up. What happens in a few months from now when I have 200+ comments on my profile?

I have nearly 17,500 profile comments from the legacy system arranged in 175 pages of 100 comments each. I think the best solution, for those who want to keep their comments but don't want their page to be a million miles long, is to find a way to organize them in set increments so they aren't all in one place all the time.
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Friday we'll be working on expanding the area the comment sit in, that should help it be less crushed together. As of right now, there is no way to delete comments as a normal user, and there likely won't be in the near future.

boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

Feel free to write in to Disqus support asking for such features. We've sent them some emails about issues such as these, but we are just a couple people -- they may not realize how important these issues are without more requests.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=MacII]When this Disqus thing first got introduced here, I did get this uneasy feeling of having now suddenly been made a part of the Disqus universe, unasked-for -- but although that comments traffic will no doubt flow through their servers, I've reassured myself that is otherwise not the case, unless and until you do sign up with them. Right? Pretty please?[/quote]

(I don't know if this has been addressed elsewhere by now, wasn't here for a bit.) Alright, so I was unpleasantly surprised to receive in my inbox an AG comment notification by Disqus. Which I'm not aware I ever set to "on," although it is just remotely possible I accidentally clicked something to make it so. I do very much doubt it.

That would logically mean all members here have, unasked-for, been made a part of the Disqus universe, including access to their AG email accounts. Whether directly or indirectly.

I've duly unsubscribed there & hope that will work like it's supposed to, but I find this just not-done, and in fact unacceptable. I do say it as just a friendly observation, nonetheless, I mean I'm not starting a flame war on it or so.

But, you know. Just don't do it again in future, or something If it's an oversight, it's an incredibly sloppy one. If it's something that must be, when incorporating this Disqus commments thingie on one's site, then let site keepers think not twice but thrice about dealing with them at all.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Did you "subscribe" or "star" a thread of conversation?

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Have feedback?

http://armor.ag/Disqus

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

A few quick updates on this, we've widened users profile comments due to popular demand. Also, we're now only loading comments on play page when you scroll far enough down the page.

Some users felt the comments lagged their game, now they have an option to not have them load.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Disqus Related Error: Apparently, I cannot log in to Disqus via Armor Games now, even though I am logged in on AG. I discovered this just a few minutes ago when going to my profile.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

What's going on? I have to register to Disqus in order to write a comment now?
>:O

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Same. Also, a number of people have their armatars switched up in disqus.

Showing 121-135 of 220