ForumsThe TavernWhy are bad words, bad?

39 13204
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Why do you think bad words are bad? Post opinions pls.

• 39 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Because society says they're bad. Society says they're bad because at one point someone managed to convince others that they were bad. Need an example? The Bible.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Because society says they're bad. Society says they're bad because at one point someone managed to convince others that they were bad. Need an example? The Bible.

What is the reason of society?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

As Sal said, it's merely a negative connotation we have given the words. Most of the words actually have pretty tame etymology. The 'f-word' comes from farming usage, for example.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Exactly. So, why can't I say poop and crap, but not the 's-word'? The all mean the exact same thing don't they? This has always made no sense to me.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,231 posts
Jester

I think bad words are considered "bad" because when people are frustrated, they need to shout something that others would consider shocking, because the reaction to is eases their stress. Or something along the lines of that.
And the 'f-word' is really an acronym, which stands for Fornication Under Consent of the King. If you shout "FORNICATION UNDER CONSENT OF THE KING" at people, though, they give you weird looks.
Also like saying...the word for a certain part of the male anatomy. One's renowned as a "bad" word (at least at my school), but if you shout "SCROTUM!" at people, they just think you're weird.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Because society said you can't, no other reason exists.

also
http://i.snag.gy/kdu77.jpg

~~~Darth Caedus

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

There has to be limits on what can be said and can't be said. I think it's rather shocking to see a group of 8 year old kids all cussing up a storm.

In my opinion, the bible is correct on these grounds. Most cuss words refer to something that is generally considered private/personal/gross. If you were to use the "F" word while participating in the act it defines, I don't feel that is considered wrong.

However, excessive cussing makes you look like a stupid idiot that everyone looks down on. I've never been a user of cuss words, nor do I encourage the use, but no one listens anyway.
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

However, excessive cussing makes you look like a stupid idiot that everyone looks down on. I've never been a user of cuss words, nor do I encourage the use, but no one listens anyway.

What about people w/ coprolalia?
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

None of these words are bad.. just watch George carlin.. he explains everything.. xp

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

This is why I love Sal. He just said everything I was going to say.

Bad words are "bad" because society brands these words as "bad". Nothing more, nothing less.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Carlin's speech on euphemisms is amazing. Xeano, you ought to watch it. It's on YouTube.

Anyway, an excess of any particular word is redundant and inherently dumb, isn't it? And why censor the bads in life? All that exists is real and true, and it all must be acknowledged at some point. If you disagree, you are exhibiting the textbook definition of ignorance. You must take the good with the bad. And remember, all that is bad is bad because we say it's bad. Does a cat care if you wander around naked? Why should people?

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

There are no 'bad' words. We give meaning and intent to words as they are spoken.

I could call someone a fibbly worble junt, and say it with such hatred that those words will come across as bad, even though they are nonsense.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

All that exists is real and true, and it all must be acknowledged at some point.

Of course you have to acknowledge it, but does that make it right? What is wrong with society branding words as wrong or bad?

Does this make us miss out on anything in life? Not that I can see. It's just not using a few words because some people consider them to be derogatory. Nothing wrong with that.

If anyone can give a good reason as to why we need to say "bad" words, I would be quite amazed.
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

What is wrong with society branding words as wrong or bad?

Personally, I think that gives them more power. Especially to those that are inexperienced in life. I wouldn't call it WRONG, but not wise. We do make a bigger deal out of words than we really should.

Apparently I used to say "****" when I was around 3 years old. My grandmother (who raised me) asked me to replace that word with something else. She told me I replaced that word with "bad." So, each time I was frustrated I would say "BAD!"

Later I found that story funny because I was essentially performing the same action, but with another word. I was getting upset and verbally expressing it.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

There is one thing I have to clarify, which seemed to have been misunderstood: there are bad concepts, and there are bad words. In my last post I was referring to both, more or less at the same time.

Re: "Missing out"
Raping, sex, drugs, abuse and desperation are all looked at as being bad. If you practice only what is socially good in life, you are missing out on those things. I am not defending those as being moral; I am stating facts.

Re: "Why's branding bad?"
It's not and you assumed that was my point. Society should brand things, else it's all pointless chaos. Don't get ahead of yourself and read things literally.

Showing 1-15 of 39