ForumsThe TavernWhy are bad words, bad?

39 13203
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Why do you think bad words are bad? Post opinions pls.

• 39 Replies
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

BTW, let's talk about their etymology of bad words. Feces comes from latin while the less classy s-word is germanic in origin.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I like this experiment because this is society. We are doing something what everyone else is doing, and we don't even know if its the right thing to do.

Except that exact study was never done :v

The difference between Emp's study and the monkey one is the bell study truly has no rhyme or reason behind why the person would follow the 'ritual' (akin to people finding curse words bad)...whilst the monkey one has the trace routes of an actual punishment being taken out on the monkeys for their actions (which is not the case for cuss words)
xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

BTW, let's talk about their etymology of bad words. Feces comes from latin while the less classy s-word is germanic in origin.

Oh oh , cool, where is the origin of ****** *** **************** ***** ? I wana know :3
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Etymology

'a-word' - Latin roots: asinus (meaning: donkey)

'b-word' - Germanic origins*, taken from Old English word bicce (meaning: a female dog)
[*The Proto-Germamic word being bikjÇ­]

'c-word' - Appear to be a matter of debate on origins*, but most sources derive it from the Proto-Germanic word kuntÅ, which also appeared as kunta in the Old Norse language.
Related read

'd-word' - Originates from the Latin word ****um (meaning: loss, damage)

'f-word' - As mentioned, possibly from Indo-European root meaning "strike" (in relation to farming). Closer relations are the Germanic origins; Swedish dialect focka and Dutch dialect fokkelen (Dutch word meaning 'to breed' while Swedish origins is disputed due to slang usage)

Hell - From the Old English hel or hell, of Germanic origins. Originates from an Indo-European word meaning 'to cover or hide'.

's-word' - From Old English scitte (meaning 'diarrhea'.
[Note: term originally was used neutrally and had no vulgar association behind it]

'b-word' (the longer one) - From Medieval Latin word *******us (meaning 'impure'

'c-word' (the penis one) - From Old English cocc which came from Medieval Latin coccus (Latin word meaning a scarlet dye/colour, Old English word meaning 'grain, seed, berry'
[This one is by far the oddest etymology]

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

The difference between Emp's study and the monkey one is the bell study truly has no rhyme or reason behind why the person would follow the 'ritual' (akin to people finding curse words bad)...whilst the monkey one has the trace routes of an actual punishment being taken out on the monkeys for their actions (which is not the case for cuss words)

Well, except for some families, it could be the basis for societal acceptance.

~~~Darth Caedus
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Oh oh , cool, where is the origin of ****** *** **************** ***** ? I wana know :3

Sorry, the word yoursaying is censored.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Hell - From the Old English hel or hell, of Germanic origins. Originates from an Indo-European word meaning 'to cover or hide'.

That doesn't seem right. Hel is the Norse goddess of the underworld, but I don't recall any association of the name with concealment.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

That doesn't seem right. Hel is the Norse goddess of the underworld, but I don't recall any association of the name with concealment.

I'm just going off of what I could find from looking at etymology sources.
Etymology

So, apparently our word comes from the old 'Hel' which would be nether world..which comes from 'haljÅ' the concealed place and so on to the root of "to cover"
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Sometime in the future, good and bad words will change places.

Showing 31-39 of 39