ForumsThe TavernWhy are bad words, bad?

39 13205
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Why do you think bad words are bad? Post opinions pls.

• 39 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I could call someone a fibbly worble junt

*gasp* Why did the censor not block that?

If anyone can give a good reason as to why we need to say "bad" words, I would be quite amazed.

We don't [contains language], but so what? There are many things that aren't "necessary".
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I wouldn't be surprised if someone just looked up a word in the dictionary and just went around calling people that word. Then the people who hear that word start going around to other people and saying that word as well, and so other people caught onto it and so on. Until eventually someone looked it up in the dictionary, found it as a horrible insult, and then went around saying its a bad word to use. So not only did the word exist more in the minds of people, there were also rumors about it being bad.

Or at least that's what my brain came up with.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Apparently I used to say "****" when I was around 3 years old. My grandmother (who raised me) asked me to replace that word with something else. She told me I replaced that word with "bad." So, each time I was frustrated I would say "BAD!"

That is an excellent point. More people should do that.

Later I found that story funny because I was essentially performing the same action, but with another word. I was getting upset and verbally expressing it.

That sort of proves my point. I mean, you replaced the word that is unfavorable/bad with a word that is more acceptable. Doesn't appear there is any difference in using the good word over the bad.

If you practice only what is socially good in life, you are missing out on those things.

That applies both ways, yes.

It's not and you assumed that was my point. Society should brand things, else it's all pointless chaos. Don't get ahead of yourself and read things literally.

I understood your point, but in the future you probably should work on clarifying it so it's easier for others to understand. As for the question, I was merely seeking your opinion on it, since your previous point was a valid one.

Not to mention many people use it as a form of expression, to show just how severe something is.

That is invalid. For example purposes, let's say I see a guy get hit by a car. He is lying and the ground and yells *F* due to the pain, frustration, ETC...

This is obviously more severe then when a friend of mine dropped a few pennies on the floor and started cussing with every word in the book. The point that it emphasizes the severity of an event isn't a good reason IMO, as relatively small/insignificant events cause the same reaction.
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

fibbly worble junt

How dare you say those words around me Asher! You do know that kids come to this site correct?
Raping, sex, drugs, abuse and desperation are all looked at as being bad. If you practice only what is socially good in life, you are missing out on those things. I am not defending those as being moral; I am stating facts.

But you are suggesting that I do them? Do you think that will hold up in court?
Judge: So why did you rape that girl while high and abuse her afterwords?
Me: Well Sal said that I would be missing out if I didn't do those things.
Judge: O, really? Why didn't you just say that in the first place, you are free to go.

In other news, words evolve and change over time. Try to use words that are socially acceptable at the time. If you don't want to live in society I have heard that the Amazon is nice this time of year.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

also

That study never actually happened. A similar study like it happened, can't remember what they did exactly, but that study was never conducted.

If you were to use the "F" word while participating in the act it defines, I don't feel that is considered wrong.

I always feel better whenever I'm striking the ground to plant my sunflower seeds in my garden and yell out the f-bomb

I could call someone a fibbly worble junt,

Reminds me of Pygmalion and the rocking insults Higgins uses

We don't [contains language],

Was literally going to link that video. Love me some Stephen Fry
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I notice how you ignored my point about how cussing physically relieves pain.

I think yelling anything would relieve pain. I just don't have time to look into that XD.
CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

If you were to use the "F" word while participating in the act it defines, I don't feel that is considered wrong.

Lol it isnt wrong but why the hell would you do it? you might get a funny look from the other person.. xp
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Speaking of bad words, the word bad is a bad word.

Shoeminor
Shoeminor
912 posts
Blacksmith

(Pun alert)

What about the words that beat up other words?They are bad!

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

What about the words that beat up other words?They are bad!

What i meant was from middle english, it means effeminate
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

But you are suggesting that I do them?

No. I'm saying you are not doing them.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

That study never actually happened. A similar study like it happened, can't remember what they did exactly, but that study was never conducted.

There was one where they had "actors" (not the famous kind, just people paid to do what they asked) and a regular person in a room. They were all in chairs in a circle. A bell would ring, the actors stood up. It rang again a short while later, they sat down. The regular person was not instructed about the bell. After a few cycles, the regular person joined in without knowing the purpose of standing and sitting at the bell. Eventually all of the actors were called out of the room individually, so only the regular person was left. They sent in a new actor to play the role of an unknowing newcomer. The regular person instructed the actor that he has to stand and sit at the bell, teaching a social ritual. The actor asked "Why?", the person said "I don't know".
xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

The 5 monkeys were kept in a cage with a ladder. Some bananas were kept on the top of the ladder. Whenever one of the monkeys would climb the ladder to get the bananas, all the monkeys were sprayed with ice cold water. Soon, the monkeys begin to police thmeselves, and would prevent any other monkey from climbing the ladder. Eventually, the cold water was turned off, but the monkeys kept policing themselves. Then, one monkey was removed, and another monkey put in it's place. Sure, the monkey didn't know about the forbidden bananas (must be rotten by now), so when it tried to get the banana, the other monkeys would stop him. Soon, the new monkey started policing the other monkeys too. Eventually, one by one all the monkeys were replaced in the group, but the monkeys kept policing themselves, even though none of the original monkeys weren't there and the reason for policing themselves was not existent

I like this experiment because this is society. We are doing something what everyone else is doing, and we don't even know if its the right thing to do.

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

Well actually sorry, never even say that this was sayed. The ecxperiment was real tho. Society is the same, with people who follow other people. Rules that are made by people that dont exist anymore. If only one of those Monkies never gived up climbing the ladder, then, well, then he would have eaten a banana :3 So the points is : Society is stupid. We dont need Society, no one does, because society leads to mistakes.

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

We dont need Society, no one does, because society leads to mistakes.

Well, not always. Society has kept humanity stable.
Showing 16-30 of 39