Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

The Bible: Louisiana's proposed state book

Posted Apr 12, '14 at 6:58am

SirNoobalot

SirNoobalot

22,267 posts

As much as I hate to link to Fox News or Yahoo, there is word of a bill that would make the state book of the state the Bible, which raises questions of whether this violates the separation of church and state in the US Constitution.

The most relevant part of the Consitution regarding this topic is the Establishment clause, which prohibits the establishment of a religion by Congress. You may say that this applies only on the federal level, but through the SC case Everson v. Board of Education, (Link or tl;dr), the Establishment clause also applies to state and local government.
That was somewhat unrelated, and now to the more important question....

Does the nomination of a religious text as the official book of a state violate the Establishment clause?

Posted Apr 12, '14 at 7:40am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,547 posts

Knight

I think it certainly does to the grossest degree; While it is claimed that the bill is not geared towards the purpose of showing state preference over other religious texts and by extension, religions, or to establish Christianity as the state religion, I feel this is tenacious at best, and blatantly fibbing at worse. What other purpose can it serve by adopting it as a State endorsed book? To highlight it's importance to the lives of Louisianians? Sounds a poor reason to me.

As much as I do not condone the enshrining (Get it? ) of any religious text or religion on such a pedestal, if this has to go ahead, then I hope the least condition they can enact as well is to similarly endorse all mainstream religious texts. That way, at least it shows non-favouritism, although it would still completely spit in the face of a separation of Church and State.

Also another nasty ecclesiastical pitfall, which version of the Bible will they choose as the State sanctioned copy?

Posted Apr 12, '14 at 10:01am

Kennethhartanto

Kennethhartanto

248 posts

If i remembered correctly, US is a secular nation which separates Government from religion. by making the Bible the Louisiana's state book, this would completely negate your country's founding fathers wishes, which i don't think anyone in your country's court would want that. what i can say is, don't make any religious based state in your country, because i suspect the effects would ricochet across the nation, quite akin to a wildfire

Posted Apr 12, '14 at 10:20am

09philj

09philj

2,319 posts

A terrible thing if it did happen, but it should have been foreseen, surely?

Posted Apr 12, '14 at 10:30am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,547 posts

Knight

A terrible thing if it did happen, but it should have been foreseen, surely?

After some of them tried to secede following the 2012 elections, we should have known.

Posted Apr 12, '14 at 10:41am

SSTG

SSTG

12,251 posts

Knight

This is UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!!
The only way to stop this nonsense is to elect Democrats in a landslide to prevent this kind of insanity in the next elections!
They should also require a mental test for any future senators, governors, etc.
There are way too many nutcases in this country that can harm the population with such ridiculous behavior once they're in power.
Also, those freaks forget an important rule: NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW.

Posted Apr 12, '14 at 10:42am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,547 posts

Knight

They should also require a mental test for any future senators, governors, etc.
There are way too many nutcases in this country that can harm the population with such ridiculous behavior once they're in power.

Allegedly a constituent petitioned him, perhaps it's just a cynical populist ploy?

Posted Apr 12, '14 at 10:51am

SSTG

SSTG

12,251 posts

Knight

Allegedly a constituent petitioned him, perhaps it's just a cynical populist ploy?

If you lived here in the US, you wouldn't think this way, believe me.
Those people are dangerous to society.
When people reject reality over a book of mythology full of childish stories, it's a very serious matter.
If it were for them, USA would be like North Korea.

Posted Apr 12, '14 at 11:04am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,547 posts

Knight

If you lived here in the US, you wouldn't think this way, believe me.
Those people are dangerous to society.

I don't disagree that they pose a danger to society, what I was saying was, it could just be a tactic employed by Republicans to curry favour with the electorate, even if the candidates don't wholly believe in their actions.

Not that it matters though.

Posted Apr 12, '14 at 12:02pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,413 posts

Why do states even have a state book? I mean, seriously. They have a capital, a motto, a bird, a flag, a flower and some even have a state food and state song (for example, "Maryland My Maryland" and "My Old Kentucky Home").

Being proud of your state is good, and making each one unique is also good, but a state BOOK? What possible purpose does that serve? I think this whole controversy is an absolute waste of time and effort. This country has much bigger problems to deal with than griping over something as pointless as a "state book." It's almost like it was created just to gain attention and start another lengthy debate over the Bible, religion and American legislation. Like we don't have enough that already.

Can anyone give me a legitimately good reason for a state to have a state book, and is it worth the time to argue about it?

Reply to The Bible: Louisiana's proposed state book

You must be logged in to post a reply!