ForumsWEPR[necro]Why are men, no, boys my age so base?

23 14184
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

I am an 18 year old male and I am sorry to say that I don't have much respect for other males my age. The key in the preceding sentence is the word "male"- notice how I avoided the word "man". Whenever I meet males my age, it is not long before they begin using their advanced rhetoric and big boy vocabulary to make up garbage about how they [edited] the previous night and how "enormous" their [male genitals] are and how "small" mine are. This kind of speech and behavior is base and incredibly far below my level. Why do I run into so many of these overgrown, foul-mouthed children? Do males my age possess any sort of capacity for intelligent thought and/or conversation? I will gladly not have any male friends for as long as it takes until I can find people like me that I can relate to. I have intelligent and constructive hobbies and interests (you can read about them on my profile).
I've been motivated to start a thread like this in spite of recent events that I've experienced. I am going to use my local basketball court as the setting to describe some of these people that I've been referring to. I go there a lot and I interact with many people there. Some names have been changed slightly.

Males at my local basketball court:

John: The local overweight bully with an incredibly foul mouth who enjoys harassing the smaller boys at the court as well as me. He calls me an interesting array of foul things and I have the honor of being sucker punched by him in the head or back regularly. If I'm really lucky, he'll kick me in the groin.

Gary: The local idiot who is always walking around the place, following people around, and generally acting weird. He ain't too bad of a guy though.

Me: "I just wanna play basketball, I don't want to hear this crap."

That Insane Guys from The Netherlands: This would be an entire thread topic by itself, so let's let it rest.

Larry: Works at the front desk at the court. Aged 50 or so. Is by far the nicest guy in there.

Everybody else (89%): first paragraph ^

This concludes things for the moment. It's your turn now to share your own thoughts, advice, comments, and personal stories.

ps, I am sorry if I've made any errors in my writing. I haven't slept all night and I'm pretty weary right now!

• 23 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Careful with the narcissism. You keep saying that you're better than all these other people, but you're not.

I also share this worry. According to masta's profile, he lists himself amongst his five favourite people - second only to Jesus. The other three on that list are Hippocrates, Pythagoras, and Alexander the Great. Even if that list isn't in any particular order, that is some pretty elite company.

But I'm probably missing the point here, anyway. I did, after all, have to look up the meaning of the word 'base' before I posted. According to the definition I found, though, the 'baseness' (is that the correct use of 'base' as a noun?) of adolescent males can be explained in part by a number of physical, biochemical, and emotional changes that take place during this time period. Many adolescents struggle with self-identity, relying too much on the opinions of others when forming opinions about themselves. Add to that chemical imbalances and major changes to the brain during this same period and the result is unsurprising.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

WHO THE HELL are you to talk to me like this, you dog! If you think that being a base pig makes you a man, then get out of here and go back to the stone you crawled out from underneath.

So you complain about the idiotic boisterous attitudes of those your age and yet act in such a manner when someone gives advice?
k

I guess this is just going to turn into another "lets attack @themastaplaya"

I'm surprised you haven't figured out why this is yet.
It's because you are the OP of the threads these happen in (when you aren't, the things you tend to be saying are quiet...shocking..to say the least). Because you are the OP, the thread is being based on your OP, and when you are in a place where the thread can tend to be revolving around the nitpicking of the opening post and its argument..

The reason I chose "boys my age"

As someone that is a "boy your age" I enjoy the vast amount of generalizations you have :^)

-----

p.s. Where did you get such a large fedora?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

The reason I chose "boys my age" is because I notice that males aged adolescent through 20s are distinctively more immature and foul-mouthed than everyone else that I meet.

As others have said, get different company. If you surround yourself with nice people, you'll feel the weight off your shoulders, you treat others nicer and the cycle of pleasantness continues.

Probably a good idea to get that chip off your shoulder too. Not to say you're completely at fault, but perhaps it'll be good to see whether there's anything that puts people off you too.
samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

Making the quote more appropriate for the site:

"If you ran into a jerk in the morning, you ran into a jerk. If you run into jerks all day, you're the jerk."

I'm not much older than you, and I understand the difficulties of finding friends with similar interests, personalities, etc., but the majority of my friends are my age and absolutely the antithesis of base, as it were. In fact, neither are the majority of people are age that I interact with on a daily basis. Most are different from me (as humans are want to be), true, but in no way do simple differences result in my, or your, necessary mental, emotional, moral, etc. superiority.

So chill, bro.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Ok, I'm going to take everyone's advice here and attempt to just take it easy. I was pretty upset that day that I made the OP and a few days thereafter. There is another basketball court about 20 miles from where I live, so I am planning to drive a little further instead of putting up with the people at the closer court. The people at the further one are somewhat nicer.
Finally, I apologize if I've offended anyone in this thread here with my reactions.
Most adults that I meet (doctors, dentists, etc..) say that they think that I am very smart and nice (they say those things to my parents and then my parents tell me about it). I frequently overreact here and I seldom take what am I doing seriously here on AG (I make insensitive jokes about certain people, come on too strong, etc...). I have the feeling that if all of you knew me in person, you would be pleasantly surprised. I really should tone it down and realize that with out facial expressions and body language, what I say can be taken entirely the wrong way. So please don't think as a bad person, because I'm not.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

"We accept the love that we think we deserve" - Stephen Chbosky
but 1st, accept yourself for who you are.
if you dont accept yourself, then what love do you think you deserve for yourself?
and when you accept yourself, its more easy to find what you look for.

Moheto
Moheto
6 posts
Scribe

give them the eye of the Jew, even if you aren't Jewish do it then if they try to start something sucker punch to the balls secures a victory.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

This thread...It's almost 7 months old! Please post in threads which are still relevant; necroing is not a pretty sight to see.

Showing 16-23 of 23