ForumsNews and FeedbackAd-Free Gaming

162 64145
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Hate ads? You now have an option to remove them from the site. Just click the remove button next to ads and for a nominal fee you can remove the ads from the site.

Also, there may be a super secret forum. I mean... err NO forum, that doesn't exist.

• 162 Replies
MerlinCross
MerlinCross
56 posts
Nomad

Because they need that money to grow as a website , you dont have to pay if you dont want to.

Grow as a website that does....what?

Before they just hosted flash games and got along just fine with ad revenue. Why did they need to get bigger for and thus need more money? To host MMOs I guess but how does that work? How does getting money from big companies to host their games help the small flash game designers at the end of the day? Especially since they compete with the MMOs on the 'New game' section on the front page.

And you're right, I don't have to pay if I don't want to. But why did they want to 'grow as a website' in the first place when they seemed to just be fine before. Part of me says the influx of ads and the MMOs being hosted have a connection somewhere.

Point is, by itself a 'subscription' to stop ads is kinda silly. Either people are trained to just ignore ads or have already turned on blockers. That or there's gonna be another influx of annoying ads. You know the type that outright blocks what you're actually here to do.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Grow as a website that does....what?

Before they just hosted flash games and got along just fine with ad revenue. Why did they need to get bigger for and thus need more money?

The site has to pay for bandwidth used. More people using the site leads to more bandwidth being needed. They can't control the number of people using the site, so have to pay the costs, or shut down.
supercrazyperson
supercrazyperson
3 posts
Nomad

If you want some O.K. money you have amazingly well known games at a price that literally nobody could pass over because then people are going to buy it and pay money and some for unlockables and add-ons ive seen work so many times I'm sure it'll work out try it out =)

raunchy
raunchy
40 posts
Blacksmith

this whole idea just feels like panhandling to me. "gib meh sum munnie or iz rob you in da allie".

in this situation its more like "buy the ability to not see ads. then when we realize that you guys not seeing ads is losing us income we are gonna put a new wave of ads out there that the non paying people are gonna suffer thru. when we have driven too many of them away we will change the ToS you payed into to block most ads but not the new ones."

minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

but its not that bad of a problem to bring it in like a huge thing like this im not paying to block ads and ive played all my life games with ads on them and i just wait if they are to long mostly on forums , til game loads .

MerlinCross
MerlinCross
56 posts
Nomad

but its not that bad of a problem to bring it in like a huge thing like this im not paying to block ads and ive played all my life games with ads on them and i just wait if they are to long mostly on forums , til game loads .

You don't think it's a problem. Other people find it a problem. However those that find it a problem have probably already installed some sort of blocker program.

Just saying "Oh well you can support us by paying us to block the ads ourselves" won't make those already blocking change that. Not by itself.

The site has to pay for bandwidth used. More people using the site leads to more bandwidth being needed. They can't control the number of people using the site, so have to pay the costs, or shut down

Hmm I wonder why more people started coming here as opposed to say, facebook.

pwnup220
pwnup220
6 posts
Shepherd

Oh, now shockwave flash crashes every time I try to use a program that really hurts armor games, remind me every time to come here to just go to Kongregate. (Also, I hate the Shuka Vana ad, it rottens my balls off)

minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

You tried using another Browser? or get new version of shockwave?

RedN
RedN
141 posts
Duke

@pwnup220 If you are blocking ads,then you must know that you are not welcome on Kongregate too,try whitelisting armorgames.com and the problem should be solved.
Because it's bad for their business.

Wartanker
Wartanker
23 posts
Lord

For me there are two types of ads:
- the ones that you can mute, skip after a few seconds or show related content to the things you currently do/watch on that website, definetely ok and I would not mind watching them

- the annoying ones that keep coming every single time you refresh, you can't mute, skip or even block (adblock seems like it can't) while the content is something that has nothing to do with, in this case, gaming/electronics/programs

Armor Games definetely chose the second one! I had to switch headsets that have a volume wheel because those ads are blasting my ears and you simply can't stop them doing it on that awfully loud level.

Second I'm getting pissed a lot because I get the same freaking 2-3 ads for the whole week, I play Dawn of the Dragons here which needs refreshing the page every now and then and every time I either get an ad for WOMEN SHOES or something else that clearly don't meet my interests.

In my opinion this is simply making it hard to keep visiting your site, I'll keep playing Dawn of the Dragons but will probably no longer check out any other games here for named reasons.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@Wartanker Try Ad-Free Gaming+, it's not much money - and it helps support us while killing the ads. Truth is, ads pay the bills. Without them, you'd not be playing at all.

Wartanker
Wartanker
23 posts
Lord

Well that's the point! Why should I pay money to enjoy playing games that I can play for free everywhere else just to avoid getting attacked by ads? I know you have to pay bills and stuff, that's why you need the ads. Pictures were fine so far, no problem.

But designing the ads to force people to pay is a stupid idea if you get money from the advertisers anyway.

There are people (probably also 10-15 year olds) who don't want to pay/aren't even allowed to pay who get angry after a while and just leave Armor Games behind to switch to another gaming site that features the same games they can play here, only that they can avoid the annoying ads for free.

I really suggest to make "Type 1" ads that I described, people could pay to remove them completely, but don't bombard the non-payers with unskippable, unmuteable, repeating, unintersting ads or a lot of visitors will lose interest in your site.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

@Wartanker Or just take the survey... It took me like 15 minutes and I got 2 weeks free, I honestly think it's worth it.

riku_ullman
riku_ullman
1,148 posts
Farmer

you can do the exact same things for the 15 day offers and 30 day offers. honestly, why didn't you check 30 day as well? I am moving, if you did not know. my house is getting built right now. one of the offers acutally helped me
(hotels.com app for ipad.) took the 30 minutes survey for sentry knight 2 special stuff (while it was beta.) no offers for gemcraft: chasing shadows, and IDK why.

riku_ullman
riku_ullman
1,148 posts
Farmer

hello? anyone? this room is quiet!

It's quiet in here...

Showing 31-45 of 162