ForumsWEPRBring the Companies back to the US!

29 14705
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Read this:
http://www.cnet.com/news/china-readies-home-grown-windows-replacement-for-fall-launch/

Maybe it's time for the greedy company owners to bring back their factories here and put the Chinese out of work since they seem to hate everything that is foreign.

• 29 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Never going to happen. Greedy companies are greedy, so won't go to great expense to build new factories and pay higher wages. And what's wrong with China trying to compete with foreign companies in their own country?

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

And what's wrong with China trying to compete with foreign companies in their own country?

They seem to be in paranoid mode. They boycott Google, Twitter then Microsoft. What's next?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Never going to happen. Greedy companies are greedy, so won't go to great expense to build new factories and pay higher wages.

Unless the argument of being produced in the "home" country becomes a sales argument. Ecological conscience among customers and financial crisis times are good drivers for such arguments.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

I say add taxes for domestic companies importing to U.S. Sure it's crooked but the government tax polocies are crooked anyway and atleast this will help with the domestic job market.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Maybe it's time for the greedy company owners to bring back their factories here and put the Chinese out of work since they seem to hate everything that is foreign.

Lol, the sentence is very confusing and disjointed in its meaning. Do you want the companies to return to their domestic roots because you want more domestic jobs or because you dislike the Chinese for them trying to promote their local brands?

They seem to be in paranoid mode. They boycott Google, Twitter then Microsoft. What's next?

I don't understand again, as the two reasons you give are somewhat entwined when they shouldn't be. The Chinese engage in broad censorship, so that's reason number one. They also enact protectionist policies because they want to kickstart and support their local products. So what is the reason of the bone with them? Because if it's the latter, everyone is equally guilty of that. Huawei for one. If it's the former, the Chinese will censor their own servers and server providers if need be (Weibo and Baidu are monitored no differently from Twitter and Google).
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Lol, the sentence is very confusing and disjointed in its meaning. Do you want the companies to return to their domestic roots because you want more domestic jobs or because you dislike the Chinese for them trying to promote their local brands?

The idiots who moved their factories to China basically gave away their technology in order to save money by employing Chinese workers which they thought they could exploit for ever.

It would indeed be nice if they employed American workers again.
The Chinese are not trying to promote their own brand, they only used ripoffs of the technology they copied. I guess the greedy business owners had it coming.

I don't understand again, as the two reasons you give are somewhat entwined when they shouldn't be. The Chinese engage in broad censorship, so that's reason number one. They also enact protectionist policies because they want to kickstart and support their local products. So what is the reason of the bone with them?

It's plain hypocritical to accept capitalism in their mist while forcing their own people not to live by these rules.

Because if it's the latter, everyone is equally guilty of that. Huawei for one. If it's the former, the Chinese will censor their own servers and server providers if need be (Weibo and Baidu are monitored no differently from Twitter and Google).

If they have problem with Western influence then they should crawl under a rock and return to the past and send back the factories to the US.
Why allow Internet if they're going to censor everything?
That makes no sense to me.

I'm sorry I didn't reply before, I just noticed your comment.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The idiots who moved their factories to China basically gave away their technology in order to save money by employing Chinese workers which they thought they could exploit for ever.

The Chinese are not trying to promote their own brand, they only used ripoffs of the technology they copied. I guess the greedy business owners had it coming.

I think that's a very gross misrepresentation and generalization of Chinese science and technology. It sounds more an emotional outburst based on smatterings of populist slogans, rather than an actual statement of fact. The Chinese are desperate to try and muscle in on their own market with local brands. I would hardly say that Chinese products are just cheap ripoffs.

In any case, although it would be nice for America if the companies actually moved back to where they started, much of our economic activity these days are global. Companies are all taking flight and spreading across the world, without the geographical restrictions. In some respect it is good; our prices are cheaper, and for the Chinese, they get jobs for their low skilled workers. How many Americans would want jobs at an assembly line though? And in any case, any forcing of these companies to come home would need the firm hand of the government, which would go against any free-spirited capitalist sentiment right? That's a little hypocritical then, seeing how criticism is directed to the Chinese government.

It's plain hypocritical to accept capitalism in their mist while forcing their own people not to live by these rules.

The Chinese aren't exactly operating on capitalist lines. They certainly have been trying to encourage SMEs to take root, but much of their industry still comes from large government backed companies. I wouldn't say that government interference in economics is necessarily a bane though.

If they have problem with Western influence then they should crawl under a rock and return to the past and send back the factories to the US.

They do not censor everything, but government sensitive issues, like TMI. All governments engage in it as well to a certain degree, and we would be wont to start with criticism at home first before fighting for the rights of other people. In any case, the mood of censorship is so ingrained and widespread that it seems to be counter productive. There's a very healthy underground internet movement that circumvents censorship. It's also very easy to access so called "ban sites" in China. I could use any site I wanted via proxies there, FB, Twitter, Youtube, etc.

Anyway, the other point I would still like to raise is that the issues of censorship and western companies setting up shop in China are two completely different sets of problems.
abt79
abt79
59 posts
Blacksmith

But the U.S. already has the commanding authoritative monopoly of the United States, Incorporated (U.S. Inc.)

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Ah yes everyone would be happier if they had factories in America, famous for its protests, especially in the labor area. I really love how people think "those **** communist Chinese are taking our good old fashioned American jobs!" when Americans wouldn't do half the work for twice the pay.

It isn't like a government says "Oh okay we're capitalist now, so let's change EVERYTHING about our government so we can fit this new label!" No. Governments pick and choose what they want to add under a blanket statement, so that way politics will forever be the cluster**** that it is.

What do you mean "send back the factories"? Are they just supposed to disassemble the factory and ship it all to the US? Even though the good ol' U S of A is the "melting pot" of the world, let's not forget that we have a history of being rather violent to Eastern influence.

Censor everything? No. Not everything. Gradually, maybe the internet will be a free area in China. But you can't get all pissy at them just because they don't function the same way as we do at the same exact pace. They AREN'T doing everything that we do, because look where it got us. We aren't exactly on our old pedestal like we used to be.

But I guess I must commend you for being a good American, and carrying out the misguided opinions of our Far East friends.
Koshionos
Koshionos
884 posts
Jester

You know, I work for a Fortune 500 Company that absolutely refuses to outsource any work outside of the US.

The downside?

I work for a phone company.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

But I guess I must commend you for being a good American, and carrying out the misguided opinions of our Far East friends.

Thanks, as a matter of fact, I became a US citizen last Friday.

Meanwhile, more paranoia from you Chinese friends:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2686977/shanghai-authorities-ban-government-officials-use-of-iphone.html
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Stringent bans on usage of foreign developed (locally made) phones by the Chinese, is a totally different issue from US companies moving overseas.

I don't know why the topics keep getting tangled up together in the discussion.

However, if the point is raised, the Americans and its partners don't go as far down to personal restrictions, but they do ban the purchasing of Huawei and ZTE equipment in major government departments. Same for Australia and her banning on Huawei's bid for the NBN. If you ask me, the Chinese, or all national governments have every right to be uneasy about foreign technology, given that it can be so easily manipulated. If you take into context that some government agencies or important military facilities don't even allow phones into their premises, it's not an entirely far fetched idea.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

This will cause some problems between the US and China though.
Apple expected a huge revenue out of the new I-Phone 6 sold in China.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Again, what does this have to do with moving companies out of China and back into the US? The United States of America doesn't have anything to do with the business between Apple and the country of China. At least, that's how it's supposed to be.

How is this really any different than lets say, American cars manufacturers, that boast being made in the US and not on foreign grounds? The idea behind it is the same thing.

And I love how you call all of the Chinese paranoid, when that is exactly what you're being. Don't speak for an entire country that you don't know about.
Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

This will cause some problems between the US and China though.

And they spent so much time developing Wave too...

No, but seriously, America and the West in general have a history of being nasty about trade with China. They've introduced huge tariffs, kicked up a huge fuss about privacy ("WHAT?! THE CHINESE ARE MONITORING PHONES?! THAT'S OUR JOB!&quot and also, once upon a time they blew up half the country for not buying drugs. Lest we forget.

Yes, I realise the UK did that too. But so did America, so my point stands.

Besides, why should companies value petty nationalism over profits? That's really rather naive of you - corporations are meant to make money; if they don't, they will collapse because a competitor has and has won over their investors.

Last of all, for somebody accusing the Chinese of "hating everything that is foreign", you're actually coming over as awfully xenophobic.
Showing 1-15 of 29