ForumsThe TavernWhat Was the Old Armor Games Like?

46 30300
apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

Before Armor Games got revamped, what was the old AG website like? Was it a better site than what it is now?

• 46 Replies
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Well I can say that it was a lot different... Same characters handing out poison cookies and shovels to dig your own grave but that's about it. First off, ARmor Points. They were like points you got for making comments and rating games and stuff. There were like ranks that you got to and each one gave you like more armatars to choose from. I'm not sure if you were here before Disqus but before that the comments system was pretty simple, you comment to a person, it stays and their profile and they go to yours to comment back. Personally I liked it better because the comments appeared right away, but in disqus it takes a couple days for them to show up on your profile. The ratings system was different too, you could rate anywhere from 0-10 on a 0.5 increment scale. They changed it due to abuse and rating a bad game 1 regardless. The website borders and colors and stuff changed too, if you wanna see the original blue and yellow one click on an MMO and it might lead you to the old screen.

I think that's about all. Most of the forums and gaming screens stayed the same. Honestly, I kinda did like the old site better. I liked being able to rate freely and I loved AP lol... However I like the quest system too so I would put that in the old one and it would be perfect.

And sorry for that hideous block of text.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I remember a thread. A mighty, passionate WEPR thread. If one thread could return to it's former glory, I'd choose this one.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Which "old" AG are you wanting to know about? There's like 5

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

It was old and there were old people.

That's really it.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Which "old" AG are you wanting to know about? There's like 5

There are 4 actually. The Games Of Gondor interface (the previous name Armor Games went by), Armor Games v1, Armor Games v2 (the version we are using, sort of), and the unoffical released version Armor Games v3 Beta. I, a man who has witnessed all of these interfaces in the course of 10 years knows from experience.

The Games Of Gondor interface was very old fashion yet similar to the interface we have now, oddly enough. As a whole, it was very medieval-esque and was pretty common looking for a gaming website at the time period (below is a picture of Games Of Gondor).
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130709174041/armor-games-official/images/f/f3/Screenshot2011-04-13at83140PM.png

Armor Games v1 was, in my opinion, more sleek looking, featuring an interfaced based around brown and beige banners. To accompany this, the games began to have better graphics and detail. This version of the website did not feature user accounts or a forum.

Armor Games v2 "was" similar to what you see now. The new interface featured user accounts, forums, armatars, armor points (a short lived feature), and a messenger. Many armatars were unlocked depending on the amount of AP you'd have and rankings like King and Serf.

Armor Games v3 was an exclusive beta. All information regarding this is classified.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I remember AG3 having an Open Beta, I didn't use it because it didn't have full functionality.

~~~Darth Caedus

Aradoable
Aradoable
2 posts
Jester

it was pretty easy to find games

apldeap123
apldeap123
1,708 posts
Farmer

I'm not sure if you were here before Disqus

I joined literally right before the comment system got changed. That was like, January, right?
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Armor Games v3 was an exclusive beta. All information regarding this is classified.

Indeed, I always wondered what happened to it... It looked pretty sweet.

That was like, January, right?

I have no idea haha
Frank_Frooton
Frank_Frooton
4,002 posts
Bard

AG in beta was sweet. Wasn't a member, but it was awfully fun changing the skins, banning any member you wanted, and getting free ice cream delivered straight to your door. Cons: No member during Beta actually had their own soul. Random requirement.

Easelm
Easelm
24 posts
Shepherd

The AG design was pretty nice and simple back when I joined. After seeing the current changes they've done the past years, it as gone a long way.

piemaster123456
piemaster123456
9 posts
Nomad

i joined 4 years ago so ye...........

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

I was here after that beta actually, but many more could talk about it.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Me: "I was just a wee lad when I first came to ArmorGames."
Shona or some other user that new me when I first came: "You were a sophomore in high school...."
Me: Shhhh, details.

Eh, not tons has changed. Little bit less activity now days but I feel like I get to know people and recognize them more now that less people post here. Obviously @Ferret is now here and even though I had my doubts about him at first I got to say I love him now, still miss Ian from time to time I need to hit that guy up.
Now we have quests instead of AP which I honestly like more, though I still want a quest for being in the Top 10 when we transferred over. *stares at admins* We also have the Disqus commenting system, which I don't really like but I guess it has it's benefits. We can edit posts in the forums which is a big deal, everyone was wanting that forever.
Of course we have the layout changes, quests changed the layout on profile pages. The header is now different. Cannot remember if there were always the giant ads on the side, I feel like that was a change though. I think the armatars/name section of the posts in the forums got changed somehow.
There were also a bunch of slight changes/fixes. The online/offline button works. Now there is the vote up or down instead of vote 1-10 on games. Locations of a few things like the favorite button changed on some games.

Errrm, that is all I can think of now. Probably a bunch of other stuff that got changed that I am missing. O well. Hopefully that is enough to show that things have changed.

Koshionos
Koshionos
884 posts
Jester

Aye... I came here in 9th Grade, back in the ye olde days of Games of Gondor. Possible copyright infringement may have sparked the change to Armor Games, but alas, not much had changed in that transition.

The Flash Games were of higher caliber, but new talent is starting to have a resurgence. This sparked my renewed interest in Armor Games. As I had not actively visited the site in nearly two years other than the occasional Gemcraft.

Showing 1-15 of 46