ForumsThe TavernDisqus... Now targeting ads?

7 3911
cpr138
cpr138
23 posts
Treasurer

Ok so, I am not usually one to complain but i have been an armor games user since 2008, the site up until recently has been great... but then they make us start using disqus for chatting and comments.. Great... Except now I get a notification from disqus tat they will be doing the same thing i deleted my facebook account for...
That is, monitoring my browser activity to better target me with ads I do not want in the first place.. and there is an option to opt out.. THAT DOES NOT WORK.. the opt out option will not load.. HOW BLOODY convenient?????

• 7 Replies
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@cpr138 @MattEmAngel Could you please send me this notification? Ferret@ArmorGames.com.

cpr138
cpr138
23 posts
Treasurer

I don't know if I can forward it, there is no options to do anything at all with it(except a link), I am assuming because it is from them themselves.. but I can cut and paste it.. or send the link.

Message from Disqus
Update to Disqus Privacy Policy

Disqus will be using anonymous interest data for content personalization and ad targeting. Users and websites will be able to configure preferences for opting out or in to anonymous data use at any time.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I just received this notification as well. The straightforward option to opt out doesn't work, as suggested. But I managed to opt out by doing this:

1) Click the 'Lean More' button on your Disqus update thingy. This will open a new window.

2) On the 3rd bullet point down on this window is a blue highlighted link that say "Disqus' consumer choice settings". Click that. (Note, the one that says opt-out preferences doesn't load - at least, not for me).

3) Clicking this will take you to a new page where you can finally click on "opt-out page". This will, again, take you a new page.

4) Now you'll have a button in the middle of your screen that says 'Opt Out'. Click on that and you should be home-free. You can tell that it worked (hopefully!) because the name of that button will change to 'Opt-In'.

N.B. I haven't seen any targeted ads on my Disqus feed as of yet so I don't know if this will actually stop them. We'll have to wait until these ads actually roll out to see what happens. But I hope this process works for you guys, rather the much simpler (and more intuitive) method.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

We have an option of putting ads on Disqus, or not. We've chosen not to put them on Disqus. I fail to see where this targeting would be an issue, but we'll take a look and make sure.

cpr138
cpr138
23 posts
Treasurer

Well I tried that method 3 times, apparently 3 is the magic #, it had the same problem the first 2 times but eventually worked.
thank you.

^^ agreed Matt, still rather safe than sorry.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

So you're saying IF Discus had ads, this could be a problem, but it doesn't because you declined the option?

Keep in mind that there a number of other sites who also use Disqus. I've stumbled across probably a dozen of sites in which I was already signed in to their commenting system only to realise that it was actually Disqus.

I'm very glad that AG has decided against placing ads within Disqus. But if you do more than a little poking around the interwebs, I would suggest going ahead and opting out of Disqus' targeted ads thingy.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

One more thing to make me dislike Disqus even more, I hated it from the first second I used it. Oh well, we can't have everything. :/

So in order to opt out I need to create an account with them? No thanks. :/

Showing 1-7 of 7