ForumsGame WalkthroughsGuide to Count to 100 (How to win)

26 13404
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

I've decided to make a guide, this is not a guarantee on winning whatsoever, but this can help you win. I've seen many losses because of incredibly not-so-smart reasons, and wins through logical posting. I've won six times, and from the experienced I've gathered, here is what I can share to everyone.

First and foremost, I would like to thank @Gantic for making an official thread of
the count, a simple and beautiful game.

Also thanks to @Guest_Pegasus1234 for helping me with some research.

Users who contributed to the guide with good advice:
@Doombreed
@Pedro97
@R2D21999

Here we go with the guide:

Things to know before we get started:

-- There are about 3500 pages right now, with 10 posts each. It takes 10 pages to win a count. There are about 8 wins so far. 80 pages that are wins / 3500 pages = 2.2% chance of being in a successful count. (If I'm not mistaken.)

-- Based of research, 2 out of 10 counts were stopped by moderators. The other 8 was stopped by user mistakes. 3 of those 8 were repeating numbers, and the rest were late edits. Though this is a very small amount of counts, this mostly defines the rest of the other counts.

-- Me and six other users established a counting order, on who posts when. For example: 1. Me 2. John 3. Jake 4. Jared 5. Hailey etc.. And because of that, we managed to climb to 100 three times in one day.

-- Ninja'd definition: You are ninja'd when a user's post doesn't show up when you are typing your post and you end up counting the same number or an earlier number than you are supposed to.

-- Late edit: An edit that was done 30 seconds after posting, or a post with a tag at the bottom saying "last edited...."

Correct things to do:

-- Most IMPORTANT thing to guarantee a win, is establishing an order on who posts when. This has let me achieve:
- Count to 100 4th win page 3582
- Count to 100 5th win page 3592, essentially counting to 200. No mistake in between both counts.

-- Editing, it's all about the editing. This is the cure to getting ninja'd. As soon as you post check if you are on the right number. You have thirty seconds to do so.

-- Post only after at least two users have posted after your last post. Not following this rule of thumb may lead to a newbie back to back posting with you.

-- If there are too many people counting at one time, leave the count. You are still in the list of winners if the count reaches 100 and you posted at least once.

-- Keep calm.
Panic may lead you to clicking the wrong things when you are trying to edit your post. You might report yourself or click edit twice, causing you to have an edit without an actual edit in the post. Though panicking is bad, getting excited is much worse, often leaving someone forgetful of checking if they got ninja'd or repeated a number.

-- Making the number that signifies the position of your post clear. Make sure if there are a lot of numbers in your post, that you bold the number meant to be the position of your post. Also English is mandatory because it's in the rules to speak in English in all the forums.

-- Realize that your team wants to win, even if you won already and don't feel up to it. Win once? Not impressive, win as many times as @Darkfire45, very impressive.

-- Right before posting (especially if it is a long post.), Copy and past the text, refresh the page, adjust the number in your text if needed, then post. Much easier than editing especially if you were ninja'd to the next page.

Wrong things to do:

-- Posting like this: P1, P2, P1, P3. Though it isn't against the rules, it certainly puts the count at risk, especially if P1 forgets or doesn't see the previous counting order.

-- Joining in when users are already at 90 and above. There are many
reasons why you shouldn't post anymore when the count has reached a
very high number.
1. Including yourself is selfish because these other users have worked hard to get that far.
2. You increase the risk of people getting ninja'd because they didn't expect you to join, since you are just joining now.
3. Ninja.
4. NINJA
5. NINJAS

-- Waiting to post so you can claim the 100 spot. This is very selfish, and the truth is, you aren't the only one waiting to steal it away. The outcome of that is three people posting 100 and someone forgetting the 99. It happens. Don't do it.

-- Restarting without solid evidence that you have to restart. Just wait until it's a real 100% sure that you have to restart. You can save counts by calling a post correct.

-- Restarting because a user did not follow an additional rule. The rules state
that you have to restart when a core rule is broken, not additional rules. You
can find it in the OP.

-- Do not post just because you want to increase post numbers. People really want to win, do not deprive them of their win because you have done something incredibly selfish. In conclusion, if you aren't here to win, don't post.

-- Calling out moderators, whether it has a "@" or not. Sometimes certain mods are interested in what you are talking about, especially if it's them, and they decide to post.
1. Rude.
2. Increasing the risks of killing the count, users get notified when they are mentioned in a post, meaning mods do too.

Recommended environment for winning a count:

-- Moderators and Admins offline.
1. Checking if they are offline is crucial. You can do this by going in their profiles.

-- 4 to 6 users counting.
1. 3 is too slow
2. 7 and above is a ninja meeting.

-- Fast internet.
1. Fast internet ensures that you can flip between pages fast enough to check if you were ninja'd and edit in time.
2. Slow internet sometimes makes saving the edit slow.

-- Balanced speed.
1. Slow down when you can obviously see everyone is getting ninja'd. A good sign to stop posting for a bit is when there are over 6 users and three of them are getting ninja'd at a time.
2. Pick up the pace, a slow count will always be crushed by a mod.

Conclusion:

Most of the counts fail because of user mistakes, and could have been avoided. By acting as a team player you increase chances of success.

Good luck at the count!

*Updated based on a few suggestions which I think is a very good idea!* 1/15/2015

• 26 Replies
Guest_Pegasus1234
Guest_Pegasus1234
1,276 posts
Farmer

I hope you get a merit for this This is an amazing guide!!!!

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

This should be stickied. Seriously excellent work

Saphire24
Saphire24
3,114 posts
Scribe

I second that. Well done! (I don't know why you aren't a knight yet, you should be!)

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/66/66b281801b8e6f7f71304017d7f260bffa72085cb56357e6e462591223638ec9.jpg

Seriously!

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Back in my day we did not have the edit button.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

@daleks I was there too

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I wonder if @Gantic already knows about the development at the front lines...

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I know everything to do with the count. That's how I pop up from the shadows and strike it down from high numbers.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

If there are too many people counting at one time, leave the count.

But it really depends on the person. If your someone used to the count and can edit on time then stay. If your someone who is not used to the count, then I'd recommend leaving.

You might report yourself or click edit twice,

This. I've done that like twice in a count. It's not a good feeling.

Making the number (the one that stands for the position of your post in the count) in your post clear is absolutely necessary.

At least bold it and please don't speak in another language while doing it. That happened before and no one knew what was going on.

- Joining in when users are already at 90 and above.

I don't see a problem with this because no matter where the count is no one will expect a new user to appear.

if you aren't here to win, don't post.

That makes no sense. So if we already won a count we can't help out the other users?

Calling out moderators

Is this directed towards me? I feel like it is. ._.

users get notified when they are mentioned in a post, meaning mods do too.

Unless they turned off their notifications.

Moderators and Admins offline.

You don't have to check Ferret over the weekend though because they don't work weekends.

The mods I'd recommend to watch out for are @Gantic, @UnleashedUponMankind, and maybe @Weirdlike. The other mods don't post as much in the count.

4 to 6 users counting.

Again, this depends on if you're used to the count.

Fast internet.

If you use Juno we'll shoot you.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

That makes no sense. So if we already won a count we can't help out the other users?

I meant that if people are just posting for +1 to their own post count. People who won already, can win again right?

Is this directed towards me? I feel like it is. ._.

No it's not, don't worry! haha

I don't see a problem with this because no matter where the count is no one will expect a new user to appear.

That's how we got ninja'd at 100 in the count we almost won.

randomblah
randomblah
246 posts
King

A few things:

Calling out mods: Not actually a terrible choice. If they're there, then you'll know very shortly. Better for a count to be reset early than for it to be reset in the high 80s. Just don't use the @mods and it'll probably be okay. I did that in one of my 2 winning counts at around 30-50 to draw out any mods(there was at least one, since the title was being changed).

Guide to avoiding ninjas focuses on the wrong problems. Biggest thing is making sure you have appropriate equipment(aka internet/non-phone) to survive being ninja'ed. You will be ninja'ed no matter what you do. The key is to be prepared - refresh really before posting, and don't focus on making an amazing post.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Calling out mods: Not actually a terrible choice. If they're there, then you'll know very shortly. Better for a count to be reset early than for it to be reset in the high 80s. Just don't use the @mods and it'll probably be okay. I did that in one of my 2 winning counts at around 30-50 to draw out any mods(there was at least one, since the title was being changed).

That is what I meant by called them out. When you put the @, they are notified. Though they always read through count anyways, especially Unleashed and Gantic.

Guide to avoiding ninjas focuses on the wrong problems. Biggest thing is making sure you have appropriate equipment(aka internet/non-phone) to survive being ninja'ed. You will be ninja'ed no matter what you do. The key is to be prepared - refresh really before posting, and don't focus on making an amazing post.

There is no specific way to avoid them, and the guide here addresses the problem through multiple ways to avoid getting ninja'd. You cannot avoid ninjas, it will happen. The best way around it is to be prepared for one.

randomblah
randomblah
246 posts
King

Actually, I thought about it and there's one thing entirely missing: being prepared to lose. Anyone who counts(to win) needs to be able to pick themselves up after a crushing failure and keep on going. From the sidelines, I can see too many people who give up(and therefore doom that day's count) after a count is broken.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

What the heck. T-There's actually a guide? F-For a forum game? What is this world coming to.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Actually, I thought about it and there's one thing entirely missing: being prepared to lose. Anyone who counts(to win) needs to be able to pick themselves up after a crushing failure and keep on going. From the sidelines, I can see too many people who give up(and therefore doom that day's count) after a count is broken.

I think that's implied on all kinds of games. Picking yourself up is something everyone should know, do people really need a section in the guide to picking themselves up?

Showing 1-15 of 26