ForumsThe TavernThings that scared you as a kid

12 5307
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

So, we all have those movies/objects/furniture/games that looked friendly and inoffensive but in our minds (or even in general), were spawned from our worst nightmares and came to life to haunt us when we were kids. For some people it was that creepy furry toy they were gifted. For others, it was a movie that seemed all nice and good for kids (like the infamous Watership Down) but weren't. Or it could have just been a game that you watched an older sibling play and just couldn't even bear to look. Well, if you'd like to talk about things that scared you as a kid, this is the place to do so.

Personally, my biggest childhood scare was the animated film 'Heavy Metal' (those who've watched it probably know what I am talking about. To those that haven't, it's here). Though it was not a horror movie or something really scary, it was an adult sci-fi animated film, so it kinda traumatized me when father and brother watched it with 6 year old me at their side (especially since I panicked at the mere thought of skeletons back then).

What's yours?

• 12 Replies
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

My parents screaming and fighting with each other, usually late at night. That always upset and scared me a lot when I was little.
Also, watching the Omaha Beach scene on Saving Private Ryan when I was like six was kind of upsetting to me. You know, that part where that guy gets hit in the belly by a shell and his guts get strewn all over the beach and he starts screaming for his mother.
Lastly, there was this tomcat that would come up to our back porch every night at midnight when I was like 5 and make this screeching yowl and scare me wide awake.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Sharks scared me to no end as a child, and I refused to enter the pool by myself, even the pools that I frequent (And I was an avid swimmer, someone who took part in swimming meets, so you can see the problem!). I watched Jaws once, and a documentary on Discovery that showed a dehydrated, maddened person cast adrift who jumped into shark infested waters in his confusion.

Not sure if that counts, but it really bugs me. Come to think of it, it doesn't really count. It still frightens me.

armorplayergc
armorplayergc
16,463 posts
King

I remember that when I was like, 5 and 6 years old I used to be afraid of the dark (lol, this sounds weird now) but I could defeat this quickly actually... this is all I can remember I guess...

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I remember this one time at a library some man brought in animals to show to kids and the moment he brought out a skunk, I started freaking out and screaming.

BalkanRenegades
BalkanRenegades
824 posts
Treasurer

Tarantulas. I couldn't sleep at nights because I though that a giant hairy spider is under my pillow

shafaet
shafaet
482 posts
Blacksmith

I used to get nightmares after watching the movie The Exorcist (Scariest movie released till date xD) and I freaked out even looking at my family members at night

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I used to get nightmares after watching the movie The Exorcist (Scariest movie released till date xD) and I freaked out even looking at my family members at night

I had the same issue. My dumb sister made me watch it with her because she was scared to watch it alone. That movie scared me for years until I watched it as a grown up. It doesn't scare me anymore but that scene where she crawls down the stairs like a spider still creeps me out.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,585 posts
Duke

I was pretty scared of the dark when I was a kid. Add ghosts to my list as well. I used to watch documentaries about supernatural things and that scared the hell out of me.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

until I watched it as a grown up. It doesn't scare me anymore but that scene where she crawls down the stairs like a spider still creeps me out.

Aye, that was real freaky!

Vongoethe
Vongoethe
33 posts
Jester

Needles. I grew up what is known as a military brat (Air Force) and moved all over the world from birth. My shot record looks like a small town phone book. Even as a grown man afraid of close to nothing, just the sight of a hypodermic needle freaks me out. I have to warn nurses and doctors. As a kid, I would frequently pass out when approached with a needle. There ain't nothing fun about needles.

Curcubelun
Curcubelun
5 posts
Shepherd

When i was kid i was scared by spiders and creepy bugs... :P

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Even as a grown man afraid of close to nothing, just the sight of a hypodermic needle freaks me out. I have to warn nurses and doctors. As a kid, I would frequently pass out when approached with a needle. There ain't nothing fun about needles

You should try getting an IV, that's the worst!

I used to be like that too but when I got really sick, they stuck me everyday for 8 days so I got used to it.

Showing 1-12 of 12