ForumsThe TavernIt's quiet in here...

18 11908
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

What happened guys? The forums used to be bustling with life. The Tavern used to have so many threads in a week. Now we're lucky enough to even get 1 new post in 2 tavern threads in a day. I remembered when every thread on the first page of the forum games read the current date(or at least XX minutes/hours ago). Now there's more than half of the first page that reads X days ago. Barely much is happening in WEPR anymore, and I'm sure plenty of topics could be made about events going on in the world. AMW has like 2 currently active threads(granted I know that user art threads can take awhile for an update). And don't even get me started on how empty the Games forum is on a GAMING website. Just... what happened to the activity?

I want to know, why are you guys being so quiet? Is there anything that would cause you to post more? Do you guys have any ideas on how to stir-up more user activity?

Honestly, I think there needs to be threads such as Battle of the Brands again. I understand people disliked how many threads there were with that same formula, but they brought activity.

• 18 Replies
armorplayergc
armorplayergc
16,463 posts
King

*sigh* to tell you the truth, I don't know, man... I have no idea what happened

I wish I could give you a better answer, but I simply don't know. I guess that users started to stop being active, little by little, and then, everyone followed that pattern continuously. I remember that ~1 year ago, I posted like 20 times a day in the forums. Now, I have 15,034 posts, but I reached 15k 24 days ago, which is less than 2 posts a day

I don't know why that happened to me... That's sad

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I have a long theory or observation here.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Chapter 1 - The Golden Era: When Flash Gaming was at it's Peak
____________________________________________________________________________________

Around 2007 to 2010, web browser based gaming was at it's peak. There are a few reasons behind this:

1.) iPhones didn't exist until 2007, meaning that the smartphone gaming market was not existent or very small during that time (as it most likely took a few years for it to catch on).
2.) iPads weren't released until April 2010, according to Wikipedia. Again, this means no iPad or other tablet gaming.
3.) S.T.E.A.M. although released in 2003, probably wasn't as popular as it is now, back in the 2007 to 2010 period.
4.) The YouTube gaming scene was incredibly small. Let's Plays were in their infancy, and there were less classic game reviewers and less game reviewers in general making videos on YouTube.
5.) Reddit wasn't as popular during that time.

What this means, is that browser gaming was one of the few places that people could go to play free (or mostly free) games, many of which games had a nostalgic classic feel of older games from the 90s and earlier 00s. New developers probably created browser games to help flesh out resumes or gain some notoriety or because it was one of the few platforms in which they could share their creations to large audiences.

Yes, there was the Xbox Arcade, Playstation Network, and Wii had options, but I'm going to guess the barrier of entry, of getting a game released on that platform, was much more difficult than a hosting website.

Chapter 2 - The Golden Era: Why Flash Gaming was at it's Peak

What did this mean for browser based-gaming (a.k.a. Flash gaming). A few things.

1.) Flash games was one of the few platforms were new developers could reach large audiences.
2.) Many Flash games had a classic retro vibe to them, meaning people craving retro-gaming had few other places to go. Yes, someone might play on an old console you might have or use emulators. But, Flash games offered people new experiences, new games, but in the retro style.
3.) Flash games were almost all free at the time. (I say at the time because even though many are still free, you have more free-to-play style games now, with micro-transactions. I feel micro-transactions were much less at the time, if a Flash game had a pay option, it was typically a one time fee of $5 to unlock additional content.

Browser based gaming (or Flash gaming) was the place to be. It was the only place to fill those free, retro gaming needs, it was ubiquitous, and there was no where else to go to fill those needs. People played games on the websites, talked about the games and discussed strategy on the same website.

Chapter 3 - The Golden Era: But it's the Golden Era for Smartphones and Tablets

However, once smartphones, tablets, and S.T.E.A.M. took off things changed.

1.) For developers it offered an even bigger market audience than browser based Flash games.
2.) Smartphone, mobile, and S.T.E.A.M. games allowed indie developers to make those new retro style games on other platforms removing the uniqueness Flash games had over the current (at that time) console and computer gaming markets. In other words, if you wanted to play a new retro-style game, you could now use your phone, tablet, or go on S.T.E.A.M.instead of just browser games.
Note: Xbox Arcade and Playstation Network, as well as the Wii, offered actual retro games and new but retro-styled games. However more of them cost money, and they reached a smaller audience as you needed to own a console.
3.) Reddit become popular and so did S.T.E.A.M., both offering communities in which people could discuss games and game strategy, thus splintering the communities and funneling users away from browser based website.
4.) For developers, they could now charge for the games upfront or do micro-transactions with less hassle
Note: Micro-transactions can happen in browser games, but I want to say around 2011, it was more difficult on the user end as they typically needed a pay pal account. Charging through a phone or tablet that is already hooked up to an account is easier for the user).

Chapter 4 - Why it's Not the Golden Era for Flash Games Anymore

This is my theory as to why the forums are so slow. Flash games aren't as popular, for the reasons stated, and the discussion communities have been splintered, thus taking users away from the forums.
Chapter 5 - The Golden Era: This is just a Sidenote, but I Wanted to say Golden Era One More Time to Keep with my Running Joke

One last note, I know that Chrome now disables Flash by default and many browser games have moved to Unity using the WebGL support. Obviously the games are still playable in browser, but it really kind of marks how "Flash" gaming is ending.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Yeah... that makes a depressing amount of sense.

armorplayergc
armorplayergc
16,463 posts
King

Wow... that... that is correct I guess, I feel sorry for Flash/browser gaming

Flash games are/were what is/was bringing new people to AG (I actually created my account here because I wanted a nice place to play GemCraft), if Flash games die, so does AG unfortunately...

I wonder if we can do anything about it?

The past is past, I guess we should try to look at a way to "revive" AG in the future?

And also, let's enjoy AG while it is still alive... right? Talk to your friends here, YAY in the forums, post whatever you want (except spam), play games, get quests, count to 100...

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Well also keep in mind my theory is based on conjecture. I didn't do any hard research or anything like that.

As well, I still feel browser games have some strong positives.

1.) Although Flash itself might be on the way out, Unity (and other such programs) now support WebGL, which allows games to be played in browsers without additional plug-ins. Flash is an additional plug-in and for a brief period Unity had a Unity plug-in. The Unity plug-in has fallen out of favor, but Unity with WebGL seems to be growing. Basically I'm saying even if Flash dies, there is already a replacement that is rather popular to allow browser gaming to continue.

2.) Someone will need to verify this, because I really don't know much about the technical specs here, but If things move to WebGL, it may mean that you could play browser games on tablets. (I'm really not certain about this though.)

3.) The only software requirement for browser based games is a browser, whilst S.T.E.A.M. needs to be downloaded, installed, an account needs to be made, and then the games need to be downloaded and installed. As for tablets, the games must be installed to be played, and I believe the tablet itself usually needs to be connected to an account.

This means browsers games can be more quickly accessed and require less hassle to play (accounts aren't necessary, installation of game isn't need, etc.). So browser games have an advantage of immediacy.

4.) I still feel browser games reach a broad audience and is still chosen alongside or over tablets, S.T.E.A.M. and mobile for choice of platform when creating a game.

So it's not all gloom. :]

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Don't forget the hardware. Back in 2005 - 2009 or so, not many people even COULD play the games that were coming out because they were really demanding for that time. Then technology stopped improving that rapidly and took a slower pace. Prices fell, and now, even with a mediocre computer you can play games that are infinitely better than flash games. Flash game making improved too but it is still based on the same medium (flash). No matter how much it improves it cannot fill that gap.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

One can only hope and continue posting. Maybe it's because it's summer and everyone is out.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Stuff that was fun 'back in the days'...

- Game tournament competitions : matching the best highscores for a certain level of a game chosen by the OP.

- Voting contests : Battle of the Brands / Games / Bands where you could choose your favorite.

- Fictional stories : Armor Games High etc. (Any chance for you to continue with a new school year @R2D21999 ? )

Just some ideas...

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

We've all grown up now, I suppose you can call it Armor Games High, but it's a different kind of high now haha...

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

(Any chance for you to continue with a new school year @R2D21999 ? )

Aww, dang. I'm working on a few Wattpad stories already I feel as if another story would just put more work on top of me. Not to mention I don't even know what I WOULD do in that story.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

@Doombreed
Good point! That actually applied to me back during that time, my laptop wasn't that great so Flash games were a good fit. It wasn't the only reason I played Flash games, but my computer struggled to play almost all the modern titles at the time, even on low settings lol.

___

Armor Games University? Or if that's too young, Armor Games Corporation?

armorplayergc
armorplayergc
16,463 posts
King

Armor Games Corporation sounds cooler I guess... I would like to see AGH (or AGC ) again!
YAY!

You guys are awesome XD

pokemonrocks126
pokemonrocks126
665 posts
Nomad

Every single thing on the front page of the tavern is from more than a day ago... well not anymore, because I posted, but still

Yellowcat
Yellowcat
2,869 posts
Treasurer

Is there any way to track active users on AG as a whole or even on the forums? Or to see how many new users there are compared to 2007-2010 period?

Hellica
Hellica
56 posts
Herald

No one responds.

Showing 1-15 of 18